60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Congrats Steve and Welcome hokaymom!
  • robineliza1961
    robineliza1961 Posts: 2 Member
    I just turned 60 & am still recovering from rotator cuff repair on both shoulders the past 1.5 years. How do I join this group? I used to walk with a group on pacer but its gone now. I found it helped to check in daily to inspire.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I just turned 60 & am still recovering from rotator cuff repair on both shoulders the past 1.5 years. How do I join this group? I used to walk with a group on pacer but its gone now. I found it helped to check in daily to inspire.

You're in, Robin. This isn't a "group", per MFP. Just a running thread where people with common goals post and keep in touch. Bookmark the thread by clicking on the star above the page numbers at the top. That will help you find it again and MFP does notify you when others have posted in the thread. Come back and post and ask questions whenever you want. There's also lots of help available in the forums on food and nutrition, exercise and lifting, rehabilitation of injuries, etc.

I agree that checking in daily helps to keep one on track. I tell people that the community support and encouragement is the best feature of MFP. Welcome!
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Thanks for the tip Steve. I could of gone years without noticing that star.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    tomaspetro wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip Steve. I could of gone years without noticing that star.

You're welcome, Tomas! Someone else pointed it out to me long ago. I have about 50 threads bookmarked. Some have some good information that I like to share or access from time to time.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    @alteredsteve175 - Thanks for posting the great link, bookmarked it for reinforcement. Gold star information.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Susan. I'm not new to MFP, however I have recently started exercising regularly again. I have 4 autoimmune diseases, so even on a "good" day exercising is challenging. I keep my goals simple...track my food & exercise daily & accept the fact that losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. Next month I'll turn 65 & I've been looking to add friends in this age group.
  • gwingee
    gwingee Posts: 9 Member
    Hi all, I am Donna. I am soooo frustrated. I am 68 and the more I try to eat right the more I seem to gain weight. I ride a recumbent bike at least 4 to 5 times a week...10 to 12 miles. I have TWO bad knees, need knee replacements but cant do it right at this time. I tried to walk but after a certain distance my knees kill me so the bike has been the best for me. I used to go to Silver Sneakers classes 3 times a week but with the Covid that stopped and the weight gain began. I do not seem to be able to eat enough protein but the fat is always over. HELP. Thanks all.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Survived covid so far ( praise the Lord) but the staying home has sure made me forget about weight and now paying the clnsdquence. One good thing I learned was treating myself to sweets did not make me feel any better. So, now back in geaf, still at home mostly but feel better. Liz in Calif.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    gwingee wrote: »
    Hi all, I am Donna. I am soooo frustrated. I am 68 and the more I try to eat right the more I seem to gain weight. I ride a recumbent bike at least 4 to 5 times a week...10 to 12 miles. I have TWO bad knees, need knee replacements but cant do it right at this time. I tried to walk but after a certain distance my knees kill me so the bike has been the best for me. I used to go to Silver Sneakers classes 3 times a week but with the Covid that stopped and the weight gain began. I do not seem to be able to eat enough protein but the fat is always over. HELP. Thanks all.

I don't know whether this helps, but I'm a big fan of "review my diary, and gradually remodel my eating". I did a lot of that when I was still in the losing phase (now maintaining, so fairly dialed in with my eating, to a happy spot for me).

Protein on lower calories was a focus for me, because I'm vegetarian. Basically, I would review my diary every couple of days, and look for foods that had relatively many calories but little or no protein. Then I'd ask myself if those foods were worth their total calories to me, in tastiness, filling-ness or other nutrition. If not, those were candidates to reduce or eliminate, to free up calories. Then I'd "spend" those calories on some other food I enjoy eating, that has more protein. By repeating this process, eventually I got my protein levels to where I wanted them, eating foods I found enjoyable, filling, and practical.

This is a great source for finding calorie-efficient protein foods you might not have thought of, but like:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I hear you on the exercise thing! I have a torn meniscus in one knee (and I suspect the other, but it hasn't been scanned), plus some arthritis in both knees/hips. It takes some time to figure out what's do-able, and the answers are somewhat individual. (Improving strength seems to help.) It sounds like you've found some good options. Do you have Silver Sneakers eligibility still? The have exercise videos on their web site, and also some live online classes. I've only sampled those a little, don't have a TV or large-monitor computer that will handle them, and they're hard to follow on my small-ish tablet.

Like you, I don't walk lots - I just try to do enough to stay conditioned to it, so I don't decline further in that realm. For me, impact and torque to the knees are a problem, but straight-line hinge motions with power but not impact are workable. I row (on water in season, machine in Winter), bike (similar deal, outside in decent weather, stationary in bad), do some self-directed yoga/stretching, and have found some strength training options that I can do.
  • dcvrsn
    dcvrsn Posts: 7 Member
    Hi all...am new to this forum and because I’m 67, I thought this would b my first group to join🙂
    Looking to connect...share stories and to find support & give some 🖖
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Welcome, to all the new folks now joining us, whether new to the forums or new to MFP as a whole! Lots of nice people here.

Wishing those of you just starting down the road to goals (or somewhere en route) much success!
  • debidee777
    debidee777 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi - I'm from Australia just added this afternoon... so just need to work out settings to add some. I am in a Christian weight loss group. I had issues with Thyroid which means 30kg in 15 weeks.. or thats 66 pounds! :) Love to an accountability partner.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Welcome to all the newcomers. You came to the right thread! We are all in this weight loss journey together. Some days are good and some are an uphill battle. Not giving up has been the key for me. I call it my nemisis. Has been with me always and unfortunately seems it's here forever for me. Wishing you good luck and success along the journey!
  • podcasterrick
    podcasterrick Posts: 3 Member
    First day here. I've lost 80 pounds, but have been on a 6 month plateau....mostly because I've became complacent. I need to get back on the horse and get this next 60 off. I'd sure love a friend or two.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Well I am now 68. We celebrated my birthday with take out French food and I managed to stay under my calorie goal by skipping lunch. I even lost a pound this weekend. Last week was a good week. I got my 2 strength training sessions in, 2 long walks and a short one. It was sunny so hopefully I got some vitamin D. I need to stay consistent next week. I just finished reading all your posts since I posted. Keep up the good work all.