My Week by Week Experience with None To Run (N2R)

I am starting a new running program.

For those of you who have been following along for a while, you know that 9 years ago I ran/walked a half marathon and then haven’t run much since. When I was training for my half, I used Couch to 5K (C25K) initially to get me started. I successfully used that method, of walk/running for the entire half and was able to complete it without any serious health repercussions, but INSIDE it felt like cheating.

I didn’t want to walk/run, I wanted to RUN.

So when I started to think about adding running back into my fitness routine, I started looking for a training program that could help me RUN sustainably for longer periods. I came across None To Run and it seems like a great fit.

From their website, “None to run is a beginner running plan will take you from ground zero to running comfortably for 25-minutes straight. If you can’t currently run for more than 5-minutes straight without stopping to catch your breath, you’re in the right place.“

That’s me 110%. I can run for about 2 min, but then I have to walk for at least a minute to recover. And that is how this program starts, so I feel like it will start me off slowly and hopefully get me to where I want to be.

False Starts
About 6 months ago, I tried to add running back in, but I was still too heavy and it killed my knees so I backed off. I stuck with My Fitness Pal and calorie counting, however, so I am about 30 pounds lighter and hopefully won’t run into the same issues again.

Week -1
This is a week of preparation.

Read more - https://midsoulfitness.wordpress.com/2021/03/03/my-week-by-week-experience-with-none-to-run-n2r/

Replies

• alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    If you want to do this with me, do your checking here as we go! I look forward to having some partners on this journey!

@CerebralEcstasy @5FitFierce
  • alisampm
    Week 1 - Day 1 in the books

My treadmill came and after lugging it half a block BY MYSELF, a kind stranger helped me move it the rest of the way into the house.

Ater getting it all setup, I just couldn't wait to do my first workout. It wasn't too hard and it felt so good to move until I sweat. I wanted to do more or go faster, but I am trying to retrain my brain to follow the program and get progressively stronger instead of flaming out at the same place every time.
  • lorimill1973
    lorimill1973 Posts: 22 Member
    N2R is a great program! I completed it a year and a half ago and went from being someone who never ran (and did not really enjoy it) to now running a 5k 5 or more times a week- equally to maintain my mental health as well as allow me to indulge in ice cream (ok... and maybe a cocktail). Good luck on your running journey! Trust the program. It works. :smile:
  • alisampm
    Yesterday I WAY overdid it on chips and ice cream. After fessing up on my MFP wall, I decided to let it roll of my back and do my run earlier than normal today to start my day with a win. The run went great, I was nice and sweaty but not overtired and I am excited to add more time next week.
  • alisampm
    As a part of the program, there is a weekly strength training program component. The workout is just about 4 minutes long and is to be performed twice. It can be found for free here.

It was easy on the one hand and left me winded on the other hand. The odd thing is that my left hip made a popping sound every time I did the side leg raise. Only my left and every time. I wonder if I have tighter muscles on that side of my body – off to search google.
  • alisampm
    This week bumped up the running time to 1 minute and the walking to two minutes. This was doable, but I was still ready to be done when my 25 minutes were up.

To keep me motivated and believing that although my brain is telling me to stop, my body is more than capable of being pushed, I am running FASTER for the last 30 seconds of my run. Because I CAN. :)

One thing I wasn't expecting today, is that the app requires a subscription after week one, which currently costs 5.99 US a month. I decided that the app is worth it for me, as I like to just run when it tells me to and walk when it says walk. I also like that if after you complete the 12 weeks of the N2R program, you can go straight into an 8 week Run to 5k program. Completely running a 5k is a huge goal of mine.

If you'd rather not pay a monthly fee, you can always find the timings on my blog, just print pages 2-3 of the calendar.

https://midsoulfitness.wordpress.com/2021/03/03/my-week-by-week-experience-with-none-to-run-n2r/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I have never heard that C25K assumes one always does walk/runs instead of running the entire 5K distance by the end. I'd never tried one before, although I have recommended them to friends who were brand new to running, but I took a long time off running due to injuries and then some emotional stuff I didn't deal well with, so decided (because I'm older now) to ramp up quite gradually when I started again back in October. I found a 6-week C25K program online (just a schedule) and signed up for a virtual 5K (sigh, coronavirus) at the end of it.

There is a run-walk program that is advocated by Galloway, but I consider that separate from C25K (and it does have marathon programs in which people do times that are pretty good for casual runners -- I spent my last marathon going back and forth with some Galloway folks, not that I'm actually fast -- although I totally understand preferring to run the whole thing, I do too).

Anyway, the planned schedule for the shorter (6 week) version of C25K I tried was 3 running workouts per week as follows:

Week 1: one run 1 min/walk 1 min for 20 min; two run 2 min/walk 4 min for 30 min
    Week 2: two run 3 min/walk 3 min for 24 min; one run 5 min/walk 3 min for 24 min
    Week 3: one run 7 min/walk 2 min for 27; two run 8 min/walk 2 min for 30 min
    Week 4: two run 8 min/walk 2 min for 30 min; one run 10 min/walk 2 min for 24 min and then run 5 min
    Week 5: one run 9 min/walk 1 min for 30 min; one run 12 min/walk 2 min for 28 min and then run 5 min; and one run 8 min/walk 2 min for 30 min
    Week 6: one run 15 min/walk 1 min for 32 min; one run 8 min/walk 2 min for 30 min, and then run a 5K straight through

Just posting this to show that the idea is to get up to running all 3.1 miles with C25K too, at least from what I have seen about it.

As noted, I wasn't a new runner, just out of shape and needing to build up my running legs again, which is why I picked this shorter version and even so I ended up skipping through it rather than following it, because I found I was able to run about 10 min no breaks at the beginning and started running through the whole time by week 3, but I still think it would be a good schedule for someone needing to ramp up to running more minutes and who wants to start with walking breaks.

However, not saying C25K is somehow better than N2R -- if you are enjoying N2R, seems like a good program too.
  • alisampm
    Yesterdays run was good. Not too hard. I realized that next weeks schedule is the same as this one and while I feel like I could do more, I am going to stick with the program - after reading multiple people's stories of pushing themselves harder than the program suggests and ending up with injuries. I know I am prone to this. This summer when I tried (and failed) to start running, a big part was overtraining... too much too soon. So chill out Alisa. Do the program.
  • alisampm
    Today's run went well. Sticking with the program. I have been adding in some balancing work to work on my ankle stability - balancing 2 min on each leg with the other one raised. I am amazed at how hard it is just to balance on one foot. Clearly this is a good next step for me. :)
  • alisampm
    Week 3, Run 1

Today’s run went great, there was more intervals of running and five more minutes over all, but the same times. So running for one minute and walking for two.

And that is what will be the schedule for this weeks runs.

If you’re joining me give me a shout out.

#n2r #nonetorun #justdoit
  • ThatCookieGurl
    ThatCookieGurl Posts: 39 Member
    I’m popping in and joining in on the fun (run)! I have been running on and off for a while, but it hasn’t been until recently that I have become serious about the sport. I had never been a good runner like my older sister was, Hell, I couldn’t run 30 seconds (no joke). After getting annoyed with my boyfriend who said we would get a dog if I ran 10 minutes nonstop (impossible-I said, Never-I said, I Can’t- I said), I decided enough was enough with my limitations and my doubts and whatever else I convinced myself of and started training harder and running more consistently and now, yesterday, I was able to run a nonstop 20 minutes! I was so happy and I want to go farther and become a long distance runner (eventually, not now). I am glad to “meet” someone who also enjoys the sport. Cheers!
  • alisampm
    I’m popping in and joining in on the fun (run)! I have been running on and off for a while, but it hasn’t been until recently that I have become serious about the sport. I had never been a good runner like my older sister was, Hell, I couldn’t run 30 seconds (no joke). After getting annoyed with my boyfriend who said we would get a dog if I ran 10 minutes nonstop (impossible-I said, Never-I said, I Can’t- I said), I decided enough was enough with my limitations and my doubts and whatever else I convinced myself of and started training harder and running more consistently and now, yesterday, I was able to run a nonstop 20 minutes! I was so happy and I want to go farther and become a long distance runner (eventually, not now). I am glad to “meet” someone who also enjoys the sport. Cheers!

I’m very excited to meet you too. What an awesome accomplishment to be able to run for 20 minutes without stopping. Definitely my first big goal is doing 1 mile without stopping and then a 5K without stopping.

This week I’m still on one minute running and then two minutes walking for a total of 30 minutes. I’m glad it’s slowly progressive though as when I tried to jump in and do it myself before I over trained and killed my knees. So far that hasn’t been an issue so that’s awesome.

Thanks for adding me as a friend I’m excited to be connected :-)
  • alisampm
    I know I killed today’s run. But I don’t have any stats to prove that and it is bothering me, maybe more than it should.

I ran outside today for the first time as part of this program. I had a route all mapped out, exactly 3.1 miles / 5 k distance from my home. I had my phone all charged and set with my None to Run, Map My Run, and a podcast playing to keep me occupied.

About 1/2 way through my run (and the intervals for this week) my phone, and thus all the things died. I kept doing random intervals and completed the 3.1 miles, but I was hoping for a time to build from for my 5k.

I will need to figure out a way to do all the things and keep my phone on for the whole time… time to brainstorm.
  • alisampm
    Week 4, Run three in the books.. my legs felt like lead but I made it happen.

And I made an appointment at the phone store to get a new battery for my phone. So hopefully that fixes my outdoor run issue for next time.

#none2run #nonetorun
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    As a part of the program, there is a weekly strength training program component. The workout is just about 4 minutes long and is to be performed twice. It can be found for free here.

It was easy on the one hand and left me winded on the other hand. The odd thing is that my left hip made a popping sound every time I did the side leg raise. Only my left and every time. I wonder if I have tighter muscles on that side of my body – off to search google.

Thanks for the link, I am so bad at keeping up to strength training!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,616 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    I know I killed today’s run. But I don’t have any stats to prove that and it is bothering me, maybe more than it should.

I ran outside today for the first time as part of this program. I had a route all mapped out, exactly 3.1 miles / 5 k distance from my home. I had my phone all charged and set with my None to Run, Map My Run, and a podcast playing to keep me occupied.

About 1/2 way through my run (and the intervals for this week) my phone, and thus all the things died. I kept doing random intervals and completed the 3.1 miles, but I was hoping for a time to build from for my 5k.

I will need to figure out a way to do all the things and keep my phone on for the whole time… time to brainstorm.

Great job on finishing the 5k anyway!!

Was it by any chance cold during your run? I have found that my phone will die if it’s really cold, even if it was fully charged at the start! Super annoying because once I plug it in again, it will say there’s 60% battery! Not an old phone or battery either, just doesn’t like the cold + music + gps + whatever other apps.
  • alisampm
    I have been doing in my running program primarily on the treadmill. Running at between 3.9 and 4.2 for the running intervals.

After running outside today I was so winded!

I was confused as to WHY it whipped me so badly until I plugged my run pace into a website that translates that into treadmill speak of MPH.

Now it all makes sense, my average run speeds were 4.9 which is way faster than I usually go. This is a win for sure but is also a great explanation for why I was so tired. :-)

**And for those curious, I got a new cell battery and turned off all the things that were draining the power so now I can get outside pace/distance AND listen to my true crime podcasts. Ha!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I will be watching your progress. I had not heard of this program before, but I love reading about other people’s experiences with different running programs.

It’s been awhile since I’ve run. I am focusing on strength and general fitness at the moment, but I always have it in the back of my mind to get back into running shape. I found that being a runner made me feel so much more confident in life overall.

Keep up the great work!