Fitness trackers

What fitness tracker would you recommend?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    None without knowing what you want it for, because it's real easy to spend other people's money online. ๐Ÿ™‚
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    What he said, but more specifically:

* Do you want it to synch with MFP? If so, start with those brands/models.
    * What kinds of activities do you want it to track, and with what objectives? (Some people just care about calories, some want statistics for various exercise types like cycling, running, etc. Some are running a training plan, looking for quite specific things.)
    * Do you want it to integrate with your phone, and if so, is it Apple or Android? What functions should integrate (text messages, calls, etc.)?
    * Do you want to use your watch for music, or to control music on your phone?
    * Do you want to be able to record activity/workouts when your phone is not with you?
    * Do you want it to integrate or link with any apps other than MFP?
    * Do you want to do challenges with your RL friends (in which case you'd want to ask what brand they have)?
    * How important is its appearance to you? (Some people want a subtle "jewelry-like" look, some want a large readable watch face, etc.)
    * Do you need it to do route planning or navigation? Safety tracking of your location that others can see?
    * What's your budget?

. . . and more. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like my Garmin Vivoactive 3 (the 4 has replaced it in the new market now, I believe). I don't synch it with MFP. It tracks my main activities (on water rowing, machine rowing, indoor cycling, outdoor cycling, walking . . . ) and provides the stats I need/want. It has a nice big watch face, easy to read, but doesn't look like I'm a Seal Team Commando guy. I like that it will give me notifications of incoming texts/calls when I'm in Bluetooth range of my phone, so I can put my phone away on social occasions even if expecting an important call/text. It pairs with a chest belt, because wrist heart rate doesn't work well for rowing (too much arm flexion), but wrist-only is fine for other stuff. I like that the watch will capture workout details by itself, because I don't usually take my phone on the river when rowing. And so forth.
  • NikiFitnessDiary
    NikiFitnessDiary Posts: 9 Member
    None without knowing what you want it for, because it's real easy to spend other people's money online. ๐Ÿ™‚

The main things are weight loss & I want to start running again. I would like to sync it to MFP. Thank you for the reply.

• NikiFitnessDiary
    NikiFitnessDiary Posts: 9 Member
    What he said, but more specifically:

* Do you want it to synch with MFP? If so, start with those brands/models.
    * What kinds of activities do you want it to track, and with what objectives? (Some people just care about calories, some want statistics for various exercise types like cycling, running, etc. Some are running a training plan, looking for quite specific things.)
    * Do you want it to integrate with your phone, and if so, is it Apple or Android? What functions should integrate (text messages, calls, etc.)?
    * Do you want to use your watch for music, or to control music on your phone?
    * Do you want to be able to record activity/workouts when your phone is not with you?
    * Do you want it to integrate or link with any apps other than MFP?
    * Do you want to do challenges with your RL friends (in which case you'd want to ask what brand they have)?
    * How important is its appearance to you? (Some people want a subtle "jewelry-like" look, some want a large readable watch face, etc.)
    * Do you need it to do route planning or navigation? Safety tracking of your location that others can see?
    * What's your budget?

. . . and more. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like my Garmin Vivoactive 3 (the 4 has replaced it in the new market now, I believe). I don't synch it with MFP. It tracks my main activities (on water rowing, machine rowing, indoor cycling, outdoor cycling, walking . . . ) and provides the stats I need/want. It has a nice big watch face, easy to read, but doesn't look like I'm a Seal Team Commando guy. I like that it will give me notifications of incoming texts/calls when I'm in Bluetooth range of my phone, so I can put my phone away on social occasions even if expecting an important call/text. It pairs with a chest belt, because wrist heart rate doesn't work well for rowing (too much arm flexion), but wrist-only is fine for other stuff. I like that the watch will capture workout details by itself, because I don't usually take my phone on the river when rowing. And so forth.

Thank you for the detailed reply I will definitely keep these great points in mind while choosing, there are so many! Iโ€™ll be sticking with Apple, I mainly want it to count calories, workouts & link with other apps. My budget will be about ยฃ200.
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart 3 that I love. It syncs with MFP and Achievement app so I like that aspect. It tracks my steps and heart rate as well as my sleep.