The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Soooo.... yesterday I ate a cherry cordial that contained alcohol.

I didn't realize till I felt the BITE of the alcohol. I didn't spit it out and kind of felt bad for not doing so. After swallowing, I read on the packaging "Contains alcohol. Not suitable for pregnant women and children."

I never thought about a chocolate candy containing alcohol!!!

After I had my moment, I began to think about the purchase... I bought this at TJ Maxx in the gourmet food section. 1. Do THEY realize they are selling alcohol? 2. Should I have been carded? It was quite stout. If a child had eaten several, I do believe they would get tipsy.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    I made an assumption today that was incorrect. I heard a relative of mine is getting a divorce. My first thought was his drinking probably got in the way..... I was wrong! The wife was a closet alcoholic- I never realized it. So, it was she who has the addiction, not he. He also has PTSD from being in the Afghanistan War so that probably was another issue. I always learn my lesson when I make assumption- most of the time we just don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    I drank.

Post to follow.

🤷‍♀️

Please dont beat yourself up with disappointment. This was me in. January. You'll be ok.
    Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    I drank.

Post to follow.

🤷‍♀️

That is ok!!! Learn and grow... that's life. <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,485 Member
    @Up_n_Running You are so much stronger than you know. Against overwhelming odds, you held that wolf at bay for a LONG time. Your brother and partner, with the constant alcohol around you, must have been extremely difficult. I am glad they have decided to finally help support you by not bringing it home again. You certainly know you are capable of getting right back on the wagon. Seeing a dr for whatever kind of support she can offer, is also a good idea.
    We will always be here to listen. Sending a big hug. ~ Jen
  • RubyRed427
    None of us are perfect- what you did was normal. That's why it's called relapse- it happens to the best of us. The positive from your experience Sunday is that it will push you to call and get help. You know the famous quote: "Sometimes you have to get knocked down to see the stars." Probably much more good will come from this experience. I agree with Jen. It is so difficult to have people around you who drink. You may need to set boundaries - it is your place too after all.

I think one of the main reasons I am going on vacation alone is because if my girlfriends go with me, they will drink all through the vacation, and I would be so tempted--- I know I'd drink.

Thank you for sharing your experience, because it really truly helps us all.

• RubyRed427
    @mtngrl3 Welcome back! You are really brave! I know your post will benefit many people; thank you for your honesty. I wish you the BEST! I also pray you can heal your liver. That is so scary- I'm sorry you are going through this. One day at a time is right! That's all we have.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Congratulations on 8 days sober @mtngrl3. We are here for you. You are very brave and honest to bare your soul like this. Surely your story will help other people.
  • RubyRed427
    wmichben wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread exists! I quit drinking entirely in December and I am surprised by the amount of pushback I get. People either don't believe I'll stick with it or they actually try to get me to drink. I don't get it!

I just knew that quitting entirely was what I needed because I could lie to myself about moderation all I wanted but it was always too easy for me to just keep drinking in excess. Quitting alcohol was the catalyst that has enabled me to alter other habits, get better sleep, wake up early to enjoy some coffee/reading time, stick to my 4-day per week gym schedule, and more...

I don't miss drinking at all. I don't know what suddenly made it easy for me to quit. I had backed off of it a few times in the past but always started increasing how much and how often I was drinking over time. But this time, I just said "I'm done" and I was done. After two weeks, I was like, "Whoa, I can actually do this."

Thanks for posting! I am in the same boat- every time I thought I could moderate, it was not always possible. Sounds like the benefits of quitting are numerous! So happy for you!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Hooray for 6.5 months @RubyRed427. Are you on spring break? Ours starts today. It's so weird to realize it's been a year since we went on SB and never went back to school. I'm proud of all of us for working so hard on sobriety during such a difficult year.