Can you lose weight eating what you want in small portions

So my uncle who is a body weight champion and health and fitness trainer told me you can eat whatever you want just in small portions. So for the past week I have just been eating of little saucer plates rather than a normal sized plate saucer is about half the size of a normal plate. I’ve also just Been eating porridge for breakfast but for lunch and dinner eating whatever I want with loads of salad and fruit. If I have had a takeaway I have had a child’s meal rather than an adult meal. I feel healthier happier and more energetic but this morning I got on the scales and had gained 2lbs. I don’t know how I’ve gained when I have been eating less and healthier with fruit and veg at almost every meal

Replies

• SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    The answer is yes, in my experience. But as the last poster said, you still need to measure what you're taking in.

There's lots of ways to restrict your calorie intake, and it seems some work better than others for different people. For me, cutting anything I love out completely wouldn't work. It wouldn't be sustainable.

So I need a system that allows me some chocolate or crisps in the evening, and I create a big enough calorie deficit in the week to eat back some at the weekend. But I know some others would not be able to do that - just allowing a little bit of sweets, or chocolate, or fried food or whatever would simply lead to them having more and more of it.

So you need to work out what works for you.

But you also need to measure it. A kids takeaway meal will be better than an adult one. But it's still nearly 500 calories (going by a hamburger happy meal), and if it leaves you feeling hungry an hour later, it might not be the best choice.

What's worked for me has been measuring and tracking everything. This allows me to make good choices about portion size. I plan out my three meals and log them in advance (adjusting later to account for specific weights and measurements). Then any calories left over can be used on things I like, like chocolate. I know that I can have a more calorific dinner, but it will then leave me with fewer calories for after dinner snacks. And that's cool - sometimes I'll want the higher calorie dinner, sometimes I'll want the snacks. It's a choice.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yes, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. That’s always how weight is lost. Eating less calories than your body burns.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I lost all my required weight eating the same foods as before, but in smaller portions*. Similar to what someone else said above, I couldn't have continued if I'd been depriving myself of stuff I like / had cut a food group out etc. However, every item was weighed to make sure my portions were small enough to fit my calorie deficit.

*not strictly true - my veg intake has almost certainly increased, to visually compensate for the reduced pasta / potatoes going on my plate or into my dish. I still have pasta and potatoes (indeed I've just had a tuna pasta bake for dinner), but I'll fill up more with veg than with high calorie pasta.

I also swapped more calorie dense foods for lower ones where I wouldn't really notice the difference. I used to have a packet of crisps or wheat crunchies with my lunch, every day, whereas now I either have a pack of lentil curls or a small pack of popcorn, simply because they're lower in cals.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Calories matter. I recommend getting a digital food scale. weighing and Logging everything you eat. I eat vegetables every day but also room for ice-cream 😂
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,551 Member
    One week and two weigh ins are NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION for you to know your starting weight, your current weight, and your long term weight trend.

Too many things influence your weight on a day to day basis. AND if you're female and have a monthly cycle you can also have water retention fluctuations that exceed any reasonable fat loss rate.

So before even worrying if what you're doing is working... worry as to whether you have measured your weight correctly! :wink: Look at the multi week trend, not your daily weight ins!

Past that, everything said above is true. I would much rather measure what I am eating so that I can maximize the combination of calories and goodness I intake while still achieving my weight management goals than try to guess and gimmick with various plates and spoons.

Sure, the psychological trick of eating a full small plate as opposed to a half empty huge plate is much more satisfying. But long term i can guarantee you I can pack my ice cream real well into a relatively small plate and I can eat way more small candies than I would eat full sized chocolate bars...

Beyond that... most people find that a more simple diet of whole food ingredients that is heavy on vegetables and fruits tends to be more satiating to them. MOST, not all. Individual satiation varies... and experimentation is the only way to know. And of course logging helps with the experiment! <this is a logging web site...>

Is logging REQUIRED to lose weight? ANYTHING that creates a reasonably sized caloric deficit for long enough will result in reasonable weight loss over time. Including just eating anything and everything from very small plates, if it creates the above mentioned deficit! So logging is NOT required.

So logging is NOT required. Logging CAN be misused. BUT, ultimately, logging CAN be used to make informed and reasonable and healthy choices.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    So my uncle who is a body weight champion and health and fitness trainer told me you can eat whatever you want just in small portions. So for the past week I have just been eating of little saucer plates rather than a normal sized plate saucer is about half the size of a normal plate. I’ve also just Been eating porridge for breakfast but for lunch and dinner eating whatever I want with loads of salad and fruit. If I have had a takeaway I have had a child’s meal rather than an adult meal. I feel healthier happier and more energetic but this morning I got on the scales and had gained 2lbs. I don’t know how I’ve gained when I have been eating less and healthier with fruit and veg at almost every meal

One week and a couple of weigh ins isn't remotely enough data points to work with to know anything about what's going on.
  • sarahq81
    sarahq81 Posts: 35 Member
    Yes. I had cake for breakfast yesterday, just make sure you log relatively accurately. I tend to over estimate if I’m not sure
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Yes l think its possible but probably best to mind your calories too