Running and diet

Sorry if I'm ripetitive but Im new in the fitness world.

My goal is eating 1970 kcal in order to lose 0.5kg/week.

If I go for a run after eating 1970 kcal and burn for example 600kcal, do i need to eat them back? If I eat them back my intake food would be 2570 kcal. Still sorry if I still don't understand but thank God there are experts who can help me a lot. Thank you.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Yes, you should eat exercise calories back. The problem is in estimating them. How do you come by 600 cal, for example? You can try using the whole 600 or you can cut it in half to 300. It all depends if you're losing. If you lose with the 600, go for it.
  • matbas98
    matbas98 Posts: 25 Member
    Ok thank you! Appreciate it.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Assuming you haven’t accounted for exercise in your daily activity when you set up your MFP goals, then the program is designed for you to eat back you exercise calories.

However, since most of the calorie burn data is an estimate, although usually reasonably close, you will find most people only eat a portion of those calories back at first to make sure they aren’t over eating.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    If you used MyFitnessPal to set up your calorie goal, and used an appropriate activity setting, then your exercise calories are not included in your goal - yes, you should eat them.

If you used a TDEE calculator from some other site to come up with your goal, and you already accounted for however many running workouts you intended to do, then you should not eat them, but definitely do the running, since it's part of your goal.

Here is a link to my favorite calculator for figuring out how many calories I burned by running: https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs