Treat days?

13»

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Oversimplifying, I believe he's saying that as he's run the numbers, you are undereating (underfueling) so much, and losing so fast, that it will be hard not only to keep going like this, but also extra hard to keep weight off longer term. He's suggesting that your hunger after your treat days is a warning bell.

When PAV runs numbers, he's usually right.

What I took from it, is that I am eating 1025kcal below maintenance. (Not that I am eating 1025) and that my daily TDEE is 2700. Which according to my fitbit is right. Usually between 2000-3500. So if that's is right I could eat 2200kcal a day and still lose a pound a week?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited March 2021
    yup -- in "general" if you're eating about 500 Cal on average below your true TDEE (the number your Fitbit is attempting to estimate) then, if you look at your weight trend over a sufficiently long period of time, you will find yourself losing on average about 1lb a week.

In order for you to be averaging an over 1K deficit in spite of your periodic overfeeds... your actual deficit on non overfeed days is substantially more than 1K.... which may explain some of the trouble you're running into.

You really cannot view this weight reduction as a "one shot and done" -- you have to start preparing to fight for maintenance--keep adjusting and trying to make things as easy on you as you can while still moving forward with your goals. Perfection is not required... continuous incremental improvements and tweaks works wonders over time!

Please note that you can look at your actual numbers from MFP and from the Fitbit data exports that you can run. You can observe your weight change by connecting Trendweight to Fitbit and entering your weight ins on Fitbit (which will then pass them to MFP and trendweight).

The numbers I've come up with for you are "general" because I actually have no idea how much food you're logging and how accurate that logging is. All I really know is that you've lost xx lbs over yy days and that's where the 1025 rough deficit estimate is coming from.

Take care... and be kind to yourself!
  • Jayj180894
    Thanks for everyone's advise
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    I think- and have been hesitant to state it here- that for some people, the first big chunk of weight comes off quickly and easily. Lucky us.

I lost ten pounds a month for my first six months. I never ate less than 1470 at any time, and increased calories three and six months in.

The last thirty came off much slower, of course, but that first sixty was embarrassingly easy. I often feel, listening to people here, that I somehow cheated the system. Maybe I’m a unicorn and maybe there’s other unicorns in the unicornverse. Bully for us. This isn’t directed at you if you’re not.

I think that YOU have to be the best judge if what you are doing is safe and sustainable. Listen to the very good advice people are giving, absorb and consider, don’t do anything foolish that would threaten your health, and adjust as needed, as I immediately did, upon the advice of a RD and a trusted trainer.

I hear in your voice what is in my head.
  • Jayj180894
    I think- and have been hesitant to state it here- that for some people, the first big chunk of weight comes off quickly and easily. Lucky us.

I lost ten pounds a month for my first six months. I never ate less than 1470 at any time, and increased calories three and six months in.

The last thirty came off much slower, of course, but that first sixty was embarrassingly easy. I often feel, listening to people here, that I somehow cheated the system. Maybe I’m a unicorn and maybe there’s other unicorns in the unicornverse. Bully for us. This isn’t directed at you if you’re not.

I think that YOU have to be the best judge if what you are doing is safe and sustainable. Listen to the very good advice people are giving, absorb and consider, don’t do anything foolish that would threaten your health, and adjust as needed, as I immediately did, upon the advice of a RD and a trusted trainer.

I just feel that I'm not doing anything unsafe. I definitely don't feel like I'm starving myself and I always eat when I'm actually hungry. I am going to adjust my calories accordingly, but I like you do feel like it has just dropped off, without being too extreme. But I will definitely take in the advice
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Jayj180894 wrote: »

I just feel that I'm not doing anything unsafe. I definitely don't feel like I'm starving myself and I always eat when I'm actually hungry. I am going to adjust my calories accordingly, but I like you do feel like it has just dropped off, without being too extreme. But I will definitely take in the advice

The problem with undereating is that people at first experience some kind of 'all is fine' feeling, nearly an euphoria. Until they don't anymore and binge. Also, your body is doing well, until it doesn't. The hairloss, brittle nails, loss of menstruation, etc all come weeks or months after the fact and not immediately.
  • Jayj180894
    yirara wrote: »
    The problem with undereating is that people at first experience some kind of 'all is fine' feeling, nearly an euphoria. Until they don't anymore and binge. Also, your body is doing well, until it doesn't. The hairloss, brittle nails, loss of menstruation, etc all come weeks or months after the fact and not immediately.

I will look at the calories and actual intake. At the moment all I have been looking at is making sure I eat my 5 a day, which is what they push for in England. (I do realise its meant to be10) and make sure I get protein.
    I read a lot of post on here and do see a lot of people eating 1500 to 1800kcal or people who have lost the at same rate as me and no one saying they're under eating. Most guidelines are between 1200 and 1800 mark to lose weight so didn't understand why I was told I wasn't eating enough

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited March 2021
    It's not just plain under-eating and losing fast. It's the combination of BOTH a large deficit as a percentage of your TDEE AND the large increase in appetite that you experience when you eat more calories during your treat days.

The large increase in appetite (to me) is a POSSIBLE indication that your hormonal system is getting pushed hard enough by your large deficit to make a weight regain rebound more likely. Or at least it FEELS this way to me based on my personal experience of doing similar things in the past.