Best Low Carb Bread (No flour was used)

Replies

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited February 2021
    Thanks again for your comments. No i really did not " muscle into that "shaping" and really knead it together pressing all that glob firmly together? This puts the yeast back in contact with sugar calapsing the first round of bubbles which supposedly assists it in getting a better 2nd rise? I think I was a bit guilty of that at first."
    Next time I will do that for sure. I"m still happy at the way it turned out. Having it again for dinner tonight!
    I like your bread slicing machine? Does that fold up? I have very limited space in my kitchen but looks like a nice gadget.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    I love it too... It's actually bread. (never thought it would be possible).

As for the cutter, it folds up somewhat.

mas42alu5alm.jpg

I found it on amazon, after spend a good bit of time looking for the right one. It's on the expensive side as far as they go, it's seems head and shoulders over the competition.

The listing on Amazon by searching Fshopping foldable toast bread slicer bread uniform cutting
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Thanks so much!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I have one of those fold-up bread slicer guides as well. It was a new-in-box thrift store find. LOVE it!
  • Slimngo1
    Slimngo1 Posts: 5 Member
    CAN YOU MAKE THIS BREAD IN THE OVEN, i DON'T HAVE A BREAD MACHINE. :( THANK YOU. JEAN
  • Poobah1972
    Slimngo1 wrote: »
    CAN YOU MAKE THIS BREAD IN THE OVEN, i DON'T HAVE A BREAD MACHINE. :( THANK YOU. JEAN

Yes the directions on the first post is actually using a mixer and baking in a 5x9 bread pan. You can even make it by hand if you wish and bake in the oven. I've made 4 loafs so far, and everyone of them has been delicious, so just go for it! And I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers!
  • Slimngo1
    Thank you Poobah, where will I find the first post, what's the date on it please. Thank you.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    I am so making this! I live way out in the middle of nowhere, nearest grocery store is an hour away so it will have to wait until we go next Wednesday, I am excited though! Thank you for posting this!
  • Poobah1972
    Hope228 wrote: »
    I am so making this! I live way out in the middle of nowhere, nearest grocery store is an hour away so it will have to wait until we go next Wednesday, I am excited though! Thank you for posting this!

Fantastic... Some items may be hard to find in the grocery store, depends on the grocery store I guess. I'd imagine most groceries store would at least some of these items in the health food section. Otherwise you should find most everything at an actual Natural Foods/Health food store. But when in doubt amazon seems to have everything with exception of Golden Flax seed meal for some reason (which is at every health food store).

Good Luck!
  • ChristyM2016
    ChristyM2016 Posts: 3 Member
    I made this bread yesterday and it is delicious. But, mine rose way too much and ended up flopping over the sides of the pan and was difficult to cut. I live at high altitude and did not adjust as I normally would for baking....rookie mistake. Will try again with maybe half the yeast.... Anyone have high altitude experience with this bread??
  • Slimngo1
    This bread is lovely, I have tried soooo many recipes that haven't worked out, but this one was so easy and it tastes really nice. Thank you so much Poobah for the recipe.
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    I made this bread yesterday and it is delicious. But, mine rose way too much and ended up flopping over the sides of the pan and was difficult to cut. I live at high altitude and did not adjust as I normally would for baking....rookie mistake. Will try again with maybe half the yeast.... Anyone have high altitude experience with this bread??

Fantastic... That's a good problem to have, and I'm sure your will work that out quite quickly.

I've literally been eating a slice of this with just about every breakfast, and it truly is delicious. Every day I think I love it more and more. So happy for you! YAY!

(Perhaps lowering the sugar content may also reduce rise?)
  • Poobah1972
    Slimngo1 wrote: »
    This bread is lovely, I have tried soooo many recipes that haven't worked out, but this one was so easy and it tastes really nice. Thank you so much Poobah for the recipe.

Two grand slam reviews in 1 day. I'm happy I was able to bring this recipe to your attention. (I may well be eating this forever... lol)

Cheers!
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    IMG_0999.PNGwfmm3q40ijum.png
    IMG_1003.PNG
    foecy9yn2rf5.png
    I found these on Amazon.
    Are they the correct ones to use? (The ones that say meal)
    I can’t wait to try the bread! 😀
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    Ahah...

The Bob's Red Mill Golden flax seed meal is the one your looking for @ 9.98. That's what I'm using. I may try a fresher variety that's kept in my Local Natural foods store freezer to see if it makes an impact. But either way, I'm loving the bread as is.

You could use anthony's but if you read the ingredients it isn't golden flax meal, it's just the regular flax meal. Golden Flax meal is superior product in terms of Omega Profile, taste, etc. But in a pinch it would be just fine.

The best solution for the freshest option would be getting whole golden flaxseeds and milling them yourself, however that's far more work then I'm willing to put into it. Plus you would need to make sure your getting golden flax seed... But if your coffee grinder is up to the challenge, then it's always an option.

I also use Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten, and Oat Fibre.
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    I misspoke on the Oat Fiber... But as long as it's 100% oat fiber it's all good. The following is specifically what I'm using currently. (Yeep, baking another loaf as I type this.) :smiley:

n66tbxm4d0bk.jpg
    Note: I sort of hide the sugar behind the yeast. Hah

• gerlcat
    Thank you very much, Poobah1972 !
    Do you use a mixer (Kitchen Aid with the hook/paddle) to kneed the bread? I read if you do use it, to kneed the bread half the time as opposed to doing it by hand. What do you think?
    I made a keto bread one time and it came out so dense and mealy so I gave up! Your bread looks so good!
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    gerlcat wrote: »
    Thank you very much, Poobah1972 !
    Do you use a mixer (Kitchen Aid with the hook/paddle) to kneed the bread? I read if you do use it, to kneed the bread half the time as opposed to doing it by hand. What do you think?
    I made a keto bread one time and it came out so dense and mealy so I gave up! Your bread looks so good!

1st thing... I promise you this isn't like any keto bread you have tried. It's definitely NOT dense, tough or dry. It's the real deal bread... Honest! lol

As for mixing time.... Since this Loaf is largely Vital Wheat Gluten, it actually benefits from EXTRA kneading (which might differ from almond flour loafs). So if your using a mixer I'd recommend a good 15 minutes or so (not sure which is better hook or paddle?). Personally I don't have a mixer, so I'm using my bread machine, and I've extended the knead time to 30 minutes. (I figure 15 minutes mixer time is equal to 30 minutes bread maker time.)

You owe yourself one more kick at the Low Carb Bread Can. Keep me posted! And your very welcome, :smile:

Edit: Hand mixing this sounds like a lot of work lol ... And the machine or mixer does a great job.
  • gerlcat
    Thank you, Poobah1972 !
    I appreciate your recipe and all your help! Will definitely let you know! 😀