How low do you squat?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
The consensus is for a correct squat, parallel is the desired level. Personally for me, I go ATG. Of course that hinders the amount of weight I use (I don't go over 225lbs) and for some "butt wink" is an issue. But I've never had any knee issues (with the exception of taking a bad fall 3 years ago and tearing my meniscus and almost detaching my MCL, but rehab and surgery fixed it to about 90%) and still squat that way today.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Lowbar just below parallel, ala Starting Strength.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Just below parallel, if I go much lower I get butt wink. My ankle mobility in my right ankle is not that good, and I have knee issues in my right knee as well (probably related to the ankle mobility, I'm sure
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Just low enough to get white lights! 💡 💡 💡

;)
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Due to knee issues (patella alta and chondromalacia) my squats are far from reaching parallel. I sometimes wonder if they're still beneficial that way..🤔
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2021
    We were doing squats this morning. 90 degrees (parallel) or lower.
  • ninerbuff
    Can't wait to get back in the gym again and squat with a real bar and weights.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Parallel or just below
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I usually train just above competition depth for most of my volume and squat variations and hit singles closer to comp depth as I get closer to competition for specificty.

I usually steer people/clients away from ATG if they have a deep squat for efficiency and technique to help their goals.

Butt wink is more of a buzz word and used liberally unfortunately and can nocebo some people into stalling or worse . Nothing to be concerned about in most cases.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    I currently go a little below parallel. I don't have the ankle mobility to get much deeper without my form suffering. I know people say a but wink is not a bad thing, but for me it is important to have the mobility and strength to keep my back in position. I am working on getting lower, hopefully one day I will be able to atg with form!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    ATG but I’m an oly lifter so that’s what I need to do. Must admit I struggle now to just go to parallel - it feels really weird. I’m lucky as I have natural flexibility so even though I’ve only been training for 3.5 years I’ve always squatted that way when I’m picking something up from the floor or just sitting on my haunches.
  • ninerbuff
    I get to squat today!!!!!!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If I do Cossack squats my bum is right above the floor. Normal squats: as deep as I can get up from again. which is limited by the relationship between lower and upper leg length. Don't have, nor never had knee problems.
  • Speakeasy76
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I usually train just above competition depth for most of my volume and squat variations and hit singles closer to comp depth as I get closer to competition for specificty.

I usually steer people/clients away from ATG if they have a deep squat for efficiency and technique to help their goals.

Butt wink is more of a buzz word and used liberally unfortunately and can nocebo some people into stalling or worse . Nothing to be concerned about in most cases.

I've heard/read a lot about butt wink in a possible contributor to back problems. However, I recently watched a squat video from one of my favorite trainers and I noticed she did have a bit of a butt wink. What are your thoughts on someone like me--with arthritic changes in my spine and very little "cushioning" left between my L5 and S1 vertebra--having some butt wink on her squats?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

I've heard/read a lot about butt wink in a possible contributor to back problems. However, I recently watched a squat video from one of my favorite trainers and I noticed she did have a bit of a butt wink. What are your thoughts on someone like me--with arthritic changes in my spine and very little "cushioning" left between my L5 and S1 vertebra--having some butt wink on her squats?

As I mentioned "butt wink" is more of a buzz word and really nothing to be concerned about other than a efficiency thing I suppose.

L5-S1 as you probably know is pretty common area of diagnosis for a couple things involving the spine.

There is ALOT to process for individuals when it comes to these things (e.g., pain, ability, recent trauma, goals, training history, etc...). Something we can't go into to detail over a post in a forum unfortunately.

I will say that for many individuals I wouldn't be concerned with "butt wink" as much as appropriate training, intensities, exercise selection, and proper load management and how they respond over time.

Myself as a example I have very little "cushion" and more "play" in my joints due to an progress disease. Strengthening the muscles around the joint makes slows down the effects of the disease.

Strength training has many benefits and with appropriate stress we can improve quality of life.

• Speakeasy76

As I mentioned "butt wink" is more of a buzz word and really nothing to be concerned about other than a efficiency thing I suppose.

L5-S1 as you probably know is pretty common area of diagnosis for a couple things involving the spine.

There is ALOT to process for individuals when it comes to these things (e.g., pain, ability, recent trauma, goals, training history, etc...). Something we can't go into to detail over a post in a forum unfortunately.

I will say that for many individuals I wouldn't be concerned with "butt wink" as much as appropriate training, intensities, exercise selection, and proper load management and how they respond over time.

Myself as a example I have very little "cushion" and more "play" in my joints due to an progress disease. Strengthening the muscles around the joint makes slows down the effects of the disease.

Strength training has many benefits and with appropriate stress we can improve quality of life.

Thanks for your input. I'm a big proponent of strength training and know I'd be worse off if I didn't do so regularly. I also have a lot of muscle imbalance/compensatory issues as well that I'm more aware of and working through (again). I built up my glutes to help with the low back, but I've also realized (yet again) how relatively weak my transverse abdominus is. Since I've been actively trying to work on that, too, I'm noticing a difference with heavy lifts (as well as other issues I have).