Vertical Climber, Anyone?

Does anyone have feedback or experience using a vertical climber like the MaxiClimber?

Looks like a hard workout, and wondering if maybe this is why there aren't a lot of people talking about them?

Thoughts? Experience? Results?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited March 2021
    My son bought one after using a Versaclimber at the gym.

He loved the commercial machine but found the MaxiClinber too flimsy feeling for him (he's 6'3", 220 pounds and athletic). His 5'4", 130 pound fiancée likes it but of course she's not generating as much force on it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    hezaa777 wrote: »
    Does anyone have feedback or experience using a vertical climber like the MaxiClimber?

Looks like a hard workout, and wondering if maybe this is why there aren't a lot of people talking about them?

IMO, they're kinda pieces of garbage. Me and the fam did quite a bit of climbing at one point and we often used the commercial version at the indoor climbing gym and it was great and a great way to work on your climbing endurance...but the MaxiClimber is pretty flimsy. I'd probably break that thing in a couple of weeks tops.
  • Theoldguy1
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

IMO, they're kinda pieces of garbage. Me and the fam did quite a bit of climbing at one point and we often used the commercial version at the indoor climbing gym and it was great and a great way to work on your climbing endurance...but the MaxiClimber is pretty flimsy. I'd probably break that thing in a couple of weeks tops.

I noticed all the promotional videos that pop up on Facebook just show full body shots of 120 pound females using it. There was one of a guy but it just showed his face and forearms as he was "climbing".
  • hezaa777
    hezaa777 Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks for your replies, all. Like everything in life "YMMV." I thought for $100 (for a non-branded climber) it might be a nice addition as a home workout option for occasional use. I am fairly small and only want to lose 15-20 pounds. We'll see what happens!
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    I have the MaxiClimber XL and it's a great workout and I don't consider it flimsy -- but I'm only 5'7" and 169 pounds so for someone larger it might not be great. I'm a runner and can easily run 7 miles but I have trouble sustaining more than 5 minutes on the MaxiClimber.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2021
    There's a new one on the market. I got an offer to buy it at 50% off when it was being beta tested. It's backed by a few celebs. Called CLMBR. Looks great. I have so much cardio equipment already that the wife would have likely killed me if I bought it, but I have to admit I was intrigued.

They were selling it for $1500 at 50% off of what they eventually want to sell it for. It's like Peloton meets climber. They are $2399 now (on sale allegedly).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have the MaxiClimber XL and it's a great workout and I don't consider it flimsy -- but I'm only 5'7" and 169 pounds so for someone larger it might not be great. I'm a runner and can easily run 7 miles but I have trouble sustaining more than 5 minutes on the MaxiClimber.

I think I might be confused on product. When I was doing a lot of climbing I was looking into a climber for the house that was basically a treadmill rock climber with the hand and foot grips like you would find on a climbing wall at the gym. They had a large commercial one at the gym and I found a home use one, and it was not very good quality at all...it must be a different brand. I just took a look at the MaxiClimber, and it's completely different than what I was looking at.
  • Theoldguy1
    Thanks for your replies, all. Like everything in life "YMMV." I thought for $100 (for a non-branded climber) it might be a nice addition as a home workout option for occasional use. I am fairly small and only want to lose 15-20 pounds. We'll see what happens!

In general I have found that any exercise device that is designed to move and support one's bodyweight is pretty much a piece of junk.

The MaxiClimber XL @FitAgainBy55 mentions as working for him is a $400 machine.
  • hezaa777
    Thanks for your feedback @Theoldguy1.

I'm looking at it as a test run. Try a less expensive one out first to see if I like it all (which so far, I do) and I always have the option to upgrade later. ;)

I do agree that the $400 version looks a lot better and probably operates smoother, but for now...
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    I have the maxi climber go on it almost every day I find I can work up a sweat depending on how fast or slow I go wouldn't be without now.
  • hezaa777
    George8383 wrote: »
    I have the maxi climber go on it almost every day I find I can work up a sweat depending on how fast or slow I go wouldn't be without now.

So far, I can only do about a minute and a half. Not enough to sweat, but does lift the heart rate pretty fast. I jump on a few times a day.

After being more sedentary than I'd like, it's baby steps for now. But, I do already feel leaner through my obliques. Now to blast the thighs. LOL.
  • hezaa777

Have you made any progress on your duration/time? I'm up to 15 minutes, so making some improvements. But it's still hard!
  • hezaa777
    Circling back on this topic. It's the best piece of home gym equipment ever! I am down a significant amount of weight (over time) and it's great for definition. Especially in shoulders and arms! While still challenging, I am up to 45 minutes on the workout.