Tofu Taco Recipes?

ReneeDawalga5100
ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
Hello- on a whim I purchased a container of Firm Tofu with the hopes of making tacos! I have the traditional seasoning packet for tacos (using ground beef) but I was hoping for instructions to make this subbing in the tofu? Honestly I've never had tofu before either!

Thanks!

Replies

• bunneez
    bunneez Posts: 35 Member
    Eating Well has a whole pile of tofu recipes, as well as meal plans for many different types of diets. Tempeh is a firmer type of soy product and makes pretty good tacos too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    If you cut into slabs or cubes add a little corn flour to your dry seasoning mix before pan frying to get a crunchy crust.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    @janejellyroll is on track: freeze and thaw, crumble or cube & drain then start cooking before adding spices.

If I don't have time to freeze and thaw, I'll crumble and drain, then add the spices and let marinate for about 30 minutes, then bake on a cookie sheet on a Silpat for about 45 minutes at 375 with another cookie sheet on top and a heavy weight (cast iron pan) to press the tofu while it bakes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @janejellyroll is on track: freeze and thaw, crumble or cube & drain then start cooking before adding spices.

If I don't have time to freeze and thaw, I'll crumble and drain, then add the spices and let marinate for about 30 minutes, then bake on a cookie sheet on a Silpat for about 45 minutes at 375 with another cookie sheet on top and a heavy weight (cast iron pan) to press the tofu while it bakes.

Oh yeah, baking is good too! I love the texture that I get when I bake tofu.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Hello- on a whim I purchased a container of Firm Tofu with the hopes of making tacos! I have the traditional seasoning packet for tacos (using ground beef) but I was hoping for instructions to make this subbing in the tofu? Honestly I've never had tofu before either!

Thanks!
    Why not use vegan "meat" instead?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rosebarnalice
    @ninerbuff, she said she already had the tofu:-)

And as an herbivore, I generally don't like fake meat products. Gimme the tofu or some black beans any day!

• ReneeDawalga5100
    Thank you all! Just curious, how long does it take to thaw out?
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    Also- when you use the taco season, it states to use 2/3 cups water, would I still add water?
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Thanks!
    Why not use vegan "meat" instead?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you- I chose Firm tofu for cost. Regular meat would have cost $10 and the tofu was less than $2. I did see the "meat crumbles" however that was up to par with the regular meat. Just trying something to save a buck.
  • janejellyroll

I usually give it about 24 hours to thaw out (in the fridge). Regarding your question about water, tofu already has a lot of water in it, so I would go by feel on that one.
  • lyndie74
    lyndie74 Posts: 18 Member
    https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-tofu-taco-crumbles/

My daughter is vegan and this site has really simple vegan recipes that I use quite often.
  • Okaynoomer
    Okaynoomer Posts: 8 Member
    Think instead of cooking it in a pan with oil you could season it and do the little cubes in the air fryer instead?
  • rosebarnalice
    edited March 2021

I frequently take it out of the freezer and set it in the sink before breakfast and it's thawed by the time I'm ready to make dinner in +- 10 - 12 hours. It will sometimes have a few icy pieces, but I can still crumble and drain it

And as to adding water, my suggestion would be "as needed." I like my taco tofu fairly dry, but my spouse likes it more "saucy" so he likes to add more water than I do.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    Thank you all!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Also- when you use the taco season, it states to use 2/3 cups water, would I still add water?

Given the water question, I'll add another tofu cooking option: Cube & bake the tofu plain (with a mist of oil, or just with a skim of oil on the pan so it won't stick) until it's fairly dry but not burned. In that state, it will sponge up a good bit of any flavorful sauce - maybe more absorption that if marinated before baking - when you combine them.

I'm still not sure about whether to adjust the water quantity, because that seems like it would depend on whether there are thickeners in the taco season mix or not, and if so how much. I'd add some water and eyeball it, personally, then decide whether to add more . . . but I'm very much an "try stuff because what's the worst that could happen?" kind of cook, and not everyone is.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2021
    TBH, tofu tacos wouldn't be my first choice to first experiment with tofu. I like cooking with tofu but I don't try to pretend it's meat.

In my experience I'm always disappointed when tofu is presented as a meat substitute rather than just a high protein ingredient. Unless you are avoiding all meat, try your favorite taco/chili recipe with half the usual meat plus tofu. This approach makes tofu more of a meat extender rather than a replacement.
  • janejellyroll
    Theo166 wrote: »
    TBH, tofu tacos wouldn't be my first choice to first experiment with tofu. I like cooking with tofu but I don't try to pretend it's meat.

In my experience I'm always disappointed when tofu is presented as a meat substitute rather than just a high protein ingredient. Unless you are avoiding all meat, try your favorite taco/chili recipe with half the usual meat plus tofu. This approach makes tofu more of a meat extender rather than a replacement.

Why would a tofu taco be pretending to be meat instead of just being a taco with tofu in it? When I cube tofu and put it in a taco or burrito, there's no pretending involved. I know the impulse is to assume that most non-Asian uses of tofu are somehow "pretending," but it's got a taste and texture that many people (including me) enjoy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

Why would a tofu taco be pretending to be meat instead of just being a taco with tofu in it? When I cube tofu and put it in a taco or burrito, there's no pretending involved. I know the impulse is to assume that most non-Asian uses of tofu are somehow "pretending," but it's got a taste and texture that many people (including me) enjoy.

Jane, Jane, Jane. Don't you know? "Real tacos" have meat. All real food has meat. SMH.

/kidding, profoundly so . . . I had pretty much your reaction to the PP. Perhaps it was more understandable in light of the OP experimenting with tofu, and using a seasoning that had been designed for meat. I hope OP comes back and tells us how it worked!

Lately, I've been liking tofu crusted with chickpea crumbs, and baked, eaten with Yellow Bird sriracha. The crumbs are sold as a gluten-free panko alternative, but I tried them for the extra protein (I'm not gluten intolerant). They're a bit on the firm side, but if the prep includes something that moistens them during baking, I quite like them. Most recent trip to the store (2 stores!) . . . none. Dangit. 😐 Will be looking online.

But I digress.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

read my post again, I was talking about a first foray into eating tofu, not the experience of a regular tofu eater.