Worst part of deadlifting is...

...putting the weights away.

Just when you think you’re done, turns out there’s still one set left.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I don't mind putting the weights away but unloading the bar is a PITA. I have a barbell at home but no rack and getting those plates off can be a nightmare. Especially when I'm doing a zoom PT session and trying to change the weights in front of the trainer with some modicum of efficiency. Sigh. Everything else about deadlifting is a total joy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Choose a more challenging variation which uses less weight.

My deadlift variation has me only working with around #500 while my squat variation has me working with #700+.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited March 2021
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I don't mind putting the weights away but unloading the bar is a PITA. I have a barbell at home but no rack and getting those plates off can be a nightmare. Especially when I'm doing a zoom PT session and trying to change the weights in front of the trainer with some modicum of efficiency. Sigh. Everything else about deadlifting is a total joy.

If you deadlift at home and have the room, the best thing you can buy to make loading/unloading the bar easier is a deadlift jack.

See: https://www.roguefitness.com/bar-jack

The 2nd best thing to use is a cheap pair of car jack stands, which if you do any work on your car(s), you probably already have lying around.

Another useful accessory to have is a pair of Dead Wedges which keeps the bar from rolling around on the ground can will allow you to change the plates on both sides of the bar (but only the additional plates past the 1st one which is resting on the Dead Wedge).

See: https://www.roguefitness.com/the-dead-wedge

I love "gadgets" and I've a lot of them for lifting (and for the rest of my hobbies).

LOL! ;)

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    For anything >=205 the 35# plates slip on and off a lot easier than the 45’s.
  • jillroy81
    jillroy81 Posts: 11 Member
    For me learning the proper form of keeping my chest up! Still a work in progress BTW lol.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I work so hard at keeping my form during my deadlifts, and then my brain forgets when I got to put the weights away and I start doing awkward movements to take them off and put away!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    injury.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    When your coach programs low weight, high rep. I just wanna deadlift heavy!!!! ☠️
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    When your coach programs low weight, high rep. I just wanna deadlift heavy!!!! ☠️

Absolutely! Anything more than 5 reps in a set is HOGWASH!!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    When you can't get it up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    When you can't get it up.

:laugh:
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The 2nd best thing to use is a cheap pair of car jack stands, which if you do any work on your car(s), you probably already have lying around.

What a great idea I hadn't thought of that! I've really been wanting a deadlift jack but I'm totally stealing my hubbies car jacks tomorrow 😆
  • Chieflrg

That is one thing I can't understand with some coaches/trainers. High rep for the deadlift specifically isn't very useful for a powerlifter if we are talking higher than 5-6 reps.
  • Chieflrg
    elsie_fair wrote: »

What a great idea I hadn't thought of that! I've really been wanting a deadlift jack but I'm totally stealing my hubbies car jacks tomorrow 😆

Better yet is a belt or or something easy to roll on that is half inch thick or so. Jack's require lifting compared to simply rolling.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited March 2021
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    elsie_fair wrote: »

Better yet is a belt or or something easy to roll on that is half inch thick or so. Jack's require lifting compared to simply rolling.

Belt? Maybe a DIY "Dead Wedge" made of wood but not likely a belt. The Dead Wedge (or equivalent) would be much better.

I also think it's curious that you'd complain about lifting a bar (1 side at a time) to place on jack stands. You are deadlfiting afterall. LOL!

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    That’s pretty slick!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Here is a vid of the ease of rolling I made years ago. Not only is it faster but again no chance of danaging expensive barbell.

Thank you so much for this. Never would have thought of doing it on my own.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    @Chieflrg - THANK YOU! That is inspired, and as it happens I have just bought my first belt. Works perfectly. And the bar is not likely to tip off the belt and squish my toes, which has been the danger with using a plate or something to prop up the bar.