Is it okay to just lose a lb per week?

I despise logging with every fiber of my being.

Instead, I am using a meal planning site. All the meals are in a 300-500 calorie range. I have two of those meals per day and then make up the other calories in coffee and yogurt. I make my coffee the same every time, so, I just use a scrap piece of paper to keep track of how much I've had and how many yogurts I've eaten. But, it's literally just tally marks.. lol

I use a food scale when preparing the meals, so, they are definitely accurate.

I'm over 200 lbs, 5'5" and walk over 10,000 steps per day, so I got a decent amount of wiggle room.

I get hungry before lunch because breakfast is pretty light, but, otherwise I'm very comfortable with what I'm doing. It doesn't take much thought or effort cause I'm using a plan that does it for me.

But, of course, if both of my meal plan meals are 500 calories, which sometimes happens, I end up losing less than the 2 lbs a week I was hoping for.

My spouse is annoyed that I'm not losing faster- but, I love how easy and low stress this is. On weekends if we order food, I just plan for it by not eating any of my meal plan meals and subbing in a couple extra yogurts instead and I order a meal that is a protein and veg.

The last month, I've averaged 1.2 lbs per week, the first 11 days I lost around 8.5 lbs, but, that's just mostly that initial water weight loss anyhow. In 41 days I've only lost 13.2 lbs.

I have mixed feelings, I would like it to be faster, but, love how simple what I'm doing is.

Replies

• gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    1lb per week ia pretty much on the average range. no issue there. stick with what works for you. it will keep you consistent
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    About 1 lb/week is the recommended amount, I believe.
  • tomhanx
    tomhanx Posts: 1 Member
    1lb a week is the ideal amount for every nutrition coach I follow on Instagram and for the nutrition coach I used last year.
    It's a sustainable goal that won't leave you starving, and studies show at that pace you tend to lose a higher ratio of body fat than water weight and muscle loss.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Sounds like perfection to me! Something you can not only live with, but you actually like! Cooking things you like to cook. Eating things you like to eat. Losing weight. It just doesn’t get any better! Congratulations on finding such an easy way for you.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited March 2021
    I agree with all said here like it's nice, it's perfection, it's good and so on ...
    But if U are like me for example , I should aim more especially if I am doing good the things.I mean we all have goals and ambitions , isn't it ?

So I would look at my dairy for let's say two weeks see the sodium level and if u retain water, the amount of water u drink, the food that is causing u bloat or after u feel swollen, I would have look at my time of meals and my workouts, and if eat too much after workouts, I would have look at the macros,at portions ,trying to play with them after , there are so many factors and everything is there for a reason
    So this is what I should look at and do , hope it helps <3
  • Tatmanblues
    Tatmanblues Posts: 12 Member
    I wouldnt stress on your weight , focus on just being healthy and looking/feeling good(for yourself) Everyone carries weight differently. We tend to stress over a scale that doesnt truly gauge our progress. You may loose 1 lb a week or you may gain 3 lb but in fact its actually muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Ummm...1 Lb per week is what is typically recommended. Any more is generally viewed as aggressive.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Why is your spouse annoyed at your weight loss rate? Frankly I don't see how it is any of their business 😉

I intentionally chose a weight loss rate of 0.5lbs per week from the start (59lbs ago). There's nothing wrong with 'slower' weight loss, any progress is good progress and slower is usually more sustainable (no need to suffer to lose weight).

Honestly that was my first question I had when reading this :/ .

I hope he's being supportive,because it kinda sucks when trying to accomplish a goal in a realistic manner and important people are discouraging. At any rate, you do you--1 pound a week is perfectly reasonable and sounds like you've got a good attitude about it.
  • amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    [quote="jenniferinfl;d-10827492"My spouse is annoyed that I'm not losing faster [/quote]

Um. What??! No. Just no.

Your rate of loss is perfectly fine and healthy and if you've found something that works for you then stick with it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    pessxx wrote: »
    I agree with all said here like it's nice, it's perfection, it's good and so on ...
    But if U are like me for example , I should aim more especially if I am doing good the things.I mean we all have goals and ambitions , isn't it ?

So I would look at my dairy for let's say two weeks see the sodium level and if u retain water, the amount of water u drink, the food that is causing u bloat or after u feel swollen, I would have look at my time of meals and my workouts, and if eat too much after workouts, I would have look at the macros,at portions ,trying to play with them after , there are so many factors and everything is there for a reason
    So this is what I should look at and do , hope it helps <3

You may do all that detailed stuff - but it seems clear to me that it is not neccesary nor likely to be helpful to OP since she hates logging and wants a simplified method.

There is no need to 'aim for more' - either more rate of loss or more detail of timing etc.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I despise logging with every fiber of my being.
    My spouse is annoyed that I'm not losing faster- but, I love how easy and low stress this is. On weekends if we order food, I just plan for it by not eating any of my meal plan meals and subbing in a couple extra yogurts instead and I order a meal that is a protein and veg.

This is YOUR body and YOUR journey, not your spouse's. You might suggest to your spouse that PRAISE and SUPPORT are greatly appreciated on YOUR journey, but that CRITICISM and/or UNSUPPORTIVE OBSERVATIONS of YOUR journey are not welcomed or appreciated. In short, advise your spouse that"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Sod your spouse... one pound a week which stays gone is a million miles better than crash dieting and yo-yo gaining when the diet (inevitably) ends.
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    The comment about your spouse is hitting some nerves.... you are being healthy. Please tell them they need to be supportive overall and negative comments need not be said out loud.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Beware. Speed kills weight loss efforts. The best weight loss plan is the one we will actually follow.

Lasting weight loss has 2 parts, eating at a deficit and living with it. If you you’ve got that, ride along so long as it works. Nobody but you has to live with your plan. Because not much changes at goal weight, there’s really no benefit it rushing. Folks usually want to lose fast to end the suffering. But suffering isn’t necessary. Discomfort maybe, but not suffering.

Never mess with a plan that’s working.

Btw, I tracked for five years. But my food diary was really just crude lists with something to identify what I ate and a number. Because I eat the same things a lot it was pretty easy. I didn’t like using the computer because it reminded me of being at work. Whatever works for you.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    As others said, 1lb a week is an ideal rate of loss. If you have found a method that works for you, stick with it for now.

You are doing this for you. For your future health and fitness.

Blind hubby with science. Fast weight loss is not sustainable. Treat him like an attention seeking kid. Give him attention when he is supportive. Ignore him when he isn’t.
  • nks80
    nks80 Posts: 139 Member
    You’re losing & that is the main thing. Do what works best for you as it will get you down to the weight you want to be