Lose 5 percent body fat

I’m at 131 pounds and 26% body fat. I feel like I’ve felt comfortable at around 123 pounds. I used to be 23% body fat. But with the whole wfh situation my habits changed and I’m at 26% now. I’m ready to put in efforts to take care of myself. How long will it take me to get to 21% body fat and how do I get there. Any help is appreciated

Replies

• FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    I'll start with the theoretical numbers:

At 26% body fat and 131 pounds you have 34.06 lbs of fat and 96.94 lbs of lean mass. If you were to lose only fat mass you need to lose 8 lbs to get to 21% body fat.

Most people would suggest you pick a slower rate of weight loss given you are likely at a healthy weight already. So at .5 lbs per week you would lose 8 lbs in 16 weeks. Obviously you could pick a faster rate and get there in 8 weeks at 1 lb per week.

Those theoretical numbers are based on A LOT of assumptions. The first assumption is your body fat measurement is accurate. The second assumption is that you only lose fat mass during weight loss. If you pick a higher rate of weight loss you are likely to lose more than just fat. If you pick a slower rate of weight loss and include strength training to mitigate lean mass loss you might be closer to your goal.
  • LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Lift weights regularly. Lots of squats and deadlifts. Your weight might not change but your body fat will and you’ll look goood.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    edited March 2021
    It took me a year to lose 5%. Granted, I’m presumably twice (dear God, maybe three times) your age, but I work out quite a bit via lifting, Pilates, powerwalking, walking and a lotta lot of yoga, typically several hours a day.

That is, btw, via two DEXA scans. Electronic scales are laughable at measuring pretty much anything outside of weight.