Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would you take a weight loss drug to reduce your desire to eat?

threewins
threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
This drug could be a real game changer. Has been FDA approved with few side effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RF70gWlNyw

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Ha ha--glad I clicked on the video to know this was fake!

In seriousness, there was a point in my life where I would've considered taking a weight -loss drug, even though I've only ever been in the "overweight" category and not obese. I just thought there was something wrong with me where I couldn't control my overeating.

Now that I've managed to completely change my mindset and lose and maintain weight loss, I wouldn't do it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Can’t imagine taking THAT one. Hate to be at Home Town Buffet when someone showed up who had just taken one.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    No. Nor would I have surgery.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2021
    Just adding my two cents to the mix:

Yes. It wasn't very long ago that I would have jumped on the idea of having my appetite reduced-just to 'get me started'. I have always worked better with positive motivation rather than negative. Then, late Feb 2021 (yep, about 2 months ago), I realized that even indivduals who are prepping for weight loss surgeries have to show that they can manage their diet in order to not sabotage their surgeries. So, I started by removing added sugars from my diet-blah, blah, blah. I've repeated my plan so often! BUT! Surprise, it worked to help me get my eating/appetite/choices under control without any outside 'assistance'.

55 days of tracking later, I am doing great-losing a little over 1.4lbs per week average and satisfied with my food intake. It only took a few days to get appetite under control. Wow! It looks like this will be a very liveable way of life for the long run, too, as the only things I am 'denying' myself are added/hidden sugars and limiting my processed foods. Still get McDonald's every once in awhile, but am careful the rest of the day.

Oh yeah- when asked where I found the willpower, I didn't. I told myself that if it was too hard, I could quit. After all, I would not be any worse off than before. But I realized I would not be any better either, if I continued my old eating patterns/habits/choices.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    Would you take a weight loss drug to reduce your desire to eat?

No.

I like eating and don't want my desire to do so to reduce.

(of course I know I have to eat appropriate calorie amount and reasonably nutritiously for good health)

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I am not sure on this one. I might be in the minority, but I am leaning towards I would if it was proven to work and safe, and did not come with a huge list of crazy side effects lol.

The reason I say this, but first, I fully acknowledge I know how to eat right, I know the right amount of calories to eat, and I stay active. However I have a HUGE appetite, it is impressive how much I can eat. I am hungry pretty much all the time. It’s not just for sweets or high caloric foods either I love fresh fruit and veggies, and I add them to my diet to bulk up my meals. I eat high fiber and protein to stay satisfied. I’ve tried HFLC and keto, but always with the hungries. I don’t give in to my appetite because I gain weight, but it’s always there lurking, waiting for weak moment haha

If I could safely take something that didn’t do disturbing things to my body that would take the edge off my appetite I think I probably would. I take Advil when I get a headache, and Claritin for my allergies. I don’t see it as much different.

Alas, while there are some actual proven weight loss medications out there, the side effects are all too much for me to consider them seriously. So as I sit here writing this my appetite is looming over me....just a small snack right?? 🤣