Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Beg pardon, PP its a science programme, we are fortunate to have good quality science programming over here in the UK. The chair is a scientist, there was another scientist and a doctor answering the questions, so its not opinion. (I listen to the speech rather than music transmissions.)
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 210 Member

You are lucky in one way, here it’s not possible to try on clothes right now even if you want to! I’m not sure if it’s legal now (it wasn’t during last summer) but no stores allow it.[/quote]

That's what I have observed, too, at Target, Walmart (Arizona).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2021
    I've noticed that people are getting looser with their social distancing in places like the grocery store line. I don't know if it's because they're vaccinated and don't feel as at risk as before, or if they're just ding dongs and aren't in the habit or self-aware enough (even though it's literally been a YEAR). It gives my unvaccinated adult kids pretty high anxiety. The last time we asked someone to move back, we got an entire sarcastic-louder-than-under-the-breath public shaming. Rather than engage in a dialogue with the ridiculousness of a stranger, we paid as quickly as we could and left. I'm vaccinated, but I'm still not comfortable eating indoors. And "outdoor" dining is a joke--huge plastic tarp tents with walls, open on ONE side. How is this not just like indoors, only colder? Because it's technically outside, all of the tables are full, rather than spaced the way the ones inside are.

Part of this is that recommendations have been relaxed in many areas of the country...the other part is that, as you state...it's been over a year...people are fatigued AF with this. Ultimately, human nature wins out...people are social animals and it's been a long time. When push comes to shove, people are going to people...
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Cross posting here - We'd love to hear how your habits have changed during the pandemic and what comes next for you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10828069/share-your-experience-pandemic-habits-what-comes-next/p1?new=1
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    That’s not what I’m saying. I’m asking what the solution is. The behavior is understandable, but really at this point in the pandemic, the behavior isn’t justifiable. For any age group, given what we know, and have learned, over the past year.

You highlight my words, but not far enough. I said it is unfair.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited March 2021
    hipari wrote: »
    Then the solution to this is to just allow once in a lifetime experiences? Turn a blind eye to behavior that may cause serious health consequences, even death? Is it unfair? Absolutely. At some point in time, we all have to learn that life isn’t always fair. Is there an age limit on learning this? Should young people have to learn to sacrifice for the good of others? Is it a bad thing to miss opportunities that could lead to illness and possible death of others or loved ones? Are we, or have we, learned anything in the past year? Compassion for others can be learned.

The fact that I’m sad for kids and 20-somethings doesn’t mean I think they should get a free pass. It means I have empathy and compassion for them, which, as you said, can be learned. It can also be learned and expressed towards said 20-somethings who are arguably sacrificing a more significant 2-year portion of their life than many of us.

First of all I’m not sure that you taking six years to graduate is successfully advocating for these traditions! 😂

But I do get what you’re saying. I’m 52 and the year when I was 19 ranks as one of the best years of my life. I was at the peak of my personal physical attractiveness, I was free to travel and get to know people and have all sorts of new experiences. I could dance all night without getting tired!

I can’t imagine what I would feel like if I were, say, a high school senior last year. It would be heartbreaking.

I think even worse are some very young children. I was reading the experiences of a mom talking about her four-year-old who doesn’t really miss his friends - because he has never really had any friends. At about the same age that children start making real friends he stopped being allowed to be around other children. What the heck with that, is that something that he can get back? Small children have some time-sensitive parts of their brains, if they don’t get the right sort of stimulus at the right time, they never really recover. Are these kids all going to be emotionally stunted and damaged for their whole lives because of this lost year?

But, on the other side, there’s my dad. What would have been his freshman year of college was spent getting ready to ship out to the Pacific to fight in a war. This is not the first time young people have had their lives completely upended by world-changing events. Hundreds of thousands of soldiers never saw their babies for months and months. It was terrible, but the world didn’t come to an end forever. As far as young children are concerned, people who settled the prairies lived miles from other families, and somehow they grew up mostly normal. Human beings are resilient.

Haha maybe I should have mentioned my study program had goal time of 5 years but average graduation time at 6.5 years, so I don’t think 6 years is that bad. It’s a very different system compared to the 4-year-experience in the US.

I also agree about very young children, although they don’t really know what they’re missing. Missed development windows are awful of course, but the kids themselves probably don’t feel like they’re sacrificing anything since they’ve never experienced or understood the thing they’re missing. Doesn’t make it nice or OK, but still. At least they don’t feel it.

What was asked of our grandparents’ generations who fought wars is arguably much worse, no denying that. The difference in the state of mind, though, I think is that when you’re literally shipped to a warfront, it takes a different kind of willpower to abide by the rules of those circumstances than when you’re physically in your old environment, able and willing to do all the things you want to do, but scientists and politicians are saying ”no”. Doesn’t make it ok to break social distancing rules, but the urge to do so is understandable, especially for the young ones whose self-regulation skills and neural systems haven’t fully developed (a human brain continues to develop well into its 20s).