Fat to Finish Line - Running for all

alisampm
alisampm Posts: 182 Member
I watched a documentary a few days ago called “fat to finish line”. And it was super inspiring for me because I have been attempting to get back into running.

If you haven’t watched it I would encourage you to do so I think I watched it on Amazon or Netflix for free.

As a larger runner it sometimes feels isolating. If there’s anyone else who has lost or is in the process of losing weight and either runs or aspires to run, give me a shout out I’d love to be connected. :-)

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Hi Alisa! Thanks for the recommendation! A movie that inspired my running is one on Amazon, "Britany Runs a Marathon". It's a comedy, not a documentary, but I bet it will resonate with you.

I'm so proud of you and your commitment to running. I started back running about 18 months ago, doing what you are doing now - training for a 5 K. I'm now training for my third half marathon. This time, my goal is to get a sub 10 minute pace. Feel free to message me anytime (or post here for the benefit of others) if you have any running questions. I am still learning myself, but I made plenty of mistakes along the way so have also learned a lot from them.

Jane
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Not there yet... I'll check back in a year! :)
  • speyerj
    @Poobah1972 - one step at a time. I didn't start running again until I was down to 220, and even then it was 1 minute running, 2 minutes walking for 4 or 5 intervals. Over the course of several weeks, I increased the running and reduced the walking in the intervals. But no need to do that now. I think the most important thing to do when you are starting out (or starting over) is concentrate on food first.
  • alisampm
    speyerj wrote: »
    @Poobah1972 - one step at a time. I didn't start running again until I was down to 220, and even then it was 1 minute running, 2 minutes walking for 4 or 5 intervals. Over the course of several weeks, I increased the running and reduced the walking in the intervals. But no need to do that now. I think the most important thing to do when you are starting out (or starting over) is concentrate on food first.

Totally agree! I focused on diet only for the first year. :)
  • Poobah1972
    speyerj wrote: »

Just wanted to drop you a thank you note... Very inspiring to see you in your avatar and knowing you lost 220 before you even started running... and you've stuck to it this whole time. So yeah, very impressive.

Good night Everyone.
  • speyerj
    Point of clarification, I haven't lost 220 pounds. I weighed 220 when I started running. So, at the time, that was 65 pounds lost. My total loss is only 125, but still a pretty big deal. I've been in maintenance for 6 months now. Haven't declared victory yet. Still learning, still struggling, but still at it.
  • Poobah1972
    Close enough, and still inspiring. (but thanks for the clarification.) Happy Tuesday! :smiley:
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited April 2021
    Watched this documentary today - even though in the UK! Inspiring!
    Real people with real issues who’ve come through / going through stuff you can identify with!
    Did a google search for running groups local to me & came across this https://groups.runtogether.co.uk
    For me there is a group called TrailSnailsBingley with a new to running group called SteadyEddie! Advertises that it is free, but that you have to donate a cake once in a while.... sounds good to me!
    Just slowly building my exercise levels at the moment, but that documentary has inspired me to enquire about this group.
    I’ve tried C25K before and got to week ?6 on an treadmill and then gave up .....Still a sweaty mess after a leisurely walk at the mo & am incorporating some dumbbells to my regime!
    Hope this group... or something similar, is still running after the lockdown ends around here..
    Thanks for posting @alisampm
  • alisampm
    edited April 2021
    @Janatki, glad you found it inspiring! I found a group I want to check out for in person runs when this whole mess is over. It was actually started in the UK - its called Parkrun - free 5ks, every week. I want a tribe like the folks in the video had. Let me know if I can be supportive at all - I am still trucking and am on week 6 of N2R now.

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited April 2021
    alisampm wrote: »
    @Janatki, glad you found it inspiring! I found a group I want to check out for in person runs when this whole mess is over. It was actually started in the UK - its called Parkrun - free 5ks, every week. I want a tribe like the folks in the video had. Let me know if I can be supportive at all - I am still trucking and am on week 6 of N2R now.

Yes I’ve heard of Parkrun ... they are all over too! I think the nearest one to me is Bradford. So only 5 or 6 miles away!... they run weekly too - Saturday mornings I think, open to all age groups ....are run by volunteers ..and you register and can get your runs timed. Hope you find one near to you
    Exercise accessible to all ...