60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    gwingee wrote: »
    KeriA wrote: »
    ... I have limits with my knees. I can go up hills but not down. Slanted surfaces also bother my needs. ...

Keri - consider getting some hiking poles to use when walking. They take some weight off the knees. They also help with balance on uneven surfaces. I use them when hiking in hilly or mountainous areas. I also know some other hikers who swear by them, as well.

yk5lmhleuk9t.jpg

Where do you buy them? I have bone on bone both knees but am just NOT ready for surgery. My husband passed and I have an almost 20 yr old dog and I would not trust anyone to walk him etc

I bought them online on Amazon. You can also get them at REI or Cabela's or any store that caters to outdoor hikers. I saw some for sale in a display at Costco today. Try them - I'm sure your knees will thank you.

Got a pair from Costco and also from REI.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks for the info niner!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    ... @alteredsteve175 - My Trail Buddy walking poles have taken my bad knees to beautiful new places I never would have ventured without the balance that adjustable poles can bring. Thanks for the recommendation last year.

Keep moving and keep on tracking y'all.
    Friend Hugs
    Thanks for sharing your experience, @j29t. Always nice to hear that my recommendation was able to help someone else continue their outdoor activities. As my 90 year old uncle always says, "If you want to keep movin', you gotta' keep movin'!"
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Make sure you have good walking shoes. Gait and heel lift can make a difference on your knees.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Thanks for that reminder, ninerbuff. I will ordering some new shoes tonight. I am overdue. Thankfully I have had no issues with foot or knee pain.

• alteredsteve175
    @alteredsteve1 we have some of those somewhere but never where I need them. I think they would help some but part of it is the angles involved. I will dig them out and give them a try with a hill. ...

I find it is helpful to extend the poles a few inches for downhill sections. Experiment with the length and find something that's comfortable for you, Keri.

• graceursaved8080
    graceursaved8080 Posts: 6 Member
    You can do it!! I'm starting over too!

Ok..its 2021 Time to make lasting changes.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    @barbiecat We are staying home too but partially it is because we still have our youngest (26) at home and they aren’t vaccinated yet. But then there are the variants and the high positivity rates. Once others are vaccinated and the rates lower I feel it is safer. We have a jazz concert that was postponed last year until this fall. I am hoping we feel safe enough to go by then.

I continued to get walks with my youngest this past week and since I missed Monday when they suggested a walk on Saturday I said yes. My husband joined in and it was lovely but I had a weird thing happen on the walk. We delayed getting going and by the time I got to the turn around point (about 30 minutes in) I felt weak. I think it had been too long since brunch. We cut it short. I started back slowly and my husband went and got the car. We had a snack on the way home and a healthy salmon dinner that night. On the weekends I may not need lunch but sometimes I feel I need a snack. The problem was I hadn’t realized I needed that snack until I was in the middle of my walk. I decided to look at my calorie goal and tweeked my logging a bit. I upped my calorie goal after checking my BMR and TDEE but I also upped how I was logging a few usual items in my food diary. I am near my low for this new scale but haven’t lost any since earlier this month. I will keep up the minimum 4 days a week at between 30-60 minutes of exercise. I hope to get to 6-7 days at a minimum of 45 minutes but may wait until I can go back to doing aquafit for that.
  • jimdavidson1960
    jimdavidson1960 Posts: 5 Member
    Being 61, I am in.....
  • alteredsteve175
    Got two five mile walks with the dog over the weekend. That was good. Eating is still off track, but I'm working on it. Today will be a rest day (don't tell the dog!).

Got our second Wuhan flu vaccine shots about 24 hours ago (the Pfizer version). So far, so good for me - no noticeable side effects. SWMBO is in bed today, but she was feeling a little under the weather when they jabbed her. She said that she is already feeling better this afternoon and is planning on work tomorrow. WOOHOO! Starting to plan some summer travel to some ballparks - I've had enough isolation to last a lifetime.⚾🏟 ✈
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi, all, and welcome new participants!

Just a quick update, in the interests of sociability:

It looks like we're having actual Spring here in Michigan (for now, at least!), and I've been getting in some outdoor walks on the nice days. So great to get more fresh air and sunshine!

Since I'm not going back to spin classes at the Y anytime soon (too close for my comfort, even with the excellent precautions they've made), I got a stationary bike to give me some variety from the rowing machine, during the dark, snowy seasons. In March, I've been alternating machine rowing and machine biking (half hour-ish in both cases) 6 days a week, taking Sundays off. So far, on the biking days, I've been taking a walk, too, for about an hour. I want to do some strength and core exercise, too, but so far that's been enough volume that I can feel myself teetering on the edge of over-fatigue (plus, sadly, I don't enjoy strength exercise as much!), so I'm holding off.

Other than the occasional carry-out food (less than once a week so far), I'm cooking at home. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm mostly in weight maintenance, had been working on ultra-slowly (re-)losing a few vanity pounds, but it's about time to stabilize if I don't want to shop for new jeans (and I don't). So, there's no real drama on the scale to report; either it was creeping down nearly too slowly to notice, or hovering in the same region.

This Thursday - Yay! - I'm scheduled for my 2nd dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine. No side effects from the first, not even a sore arm, so I'm hoping the 2nd won't be too bad (though I know the 2nd often brings stronger side effects). Can't wait!

How is everyone else doing? Progress? Challenges?

P.S. Obligatory photo of Spring flowers in the yard. 😉 Rock garden Iris, Winter Aconite, Snowdrops, Tommie Crocus with bee buddy.
    9mq0bdgnjpy7.jpg

Awesome spring bloom pix! Happy 2nd Covid jab! I had some chills and fatigue after 1st jab, injection site soreness after 2nd. I had Pfizer. BH had very little reaction. She had Moderna. We’re not radically changing our behaviors until active cases go down (our state is bouncing between yellow/orange on Covid Act Now) and we can see some herd immunity. Like you, not ready to go back to gym yet, and not fan of strength work. Also in “maintenance”, but trying to figure out reasonable calorie intake and macros vs calorie burn going forward. It’s not a goal, it’s a journey. 😄
  • KetoRoseN
    KetoRoseN Posts: 7 Member
    I am back after an extended time. I am 64 and starting fresh. I lost 70 lbs on keto but gained 40 back starting in Nov. when loss of control happened.I know I can't have one little piece of bread. Glad it is getting nicer out so I can do some walking.
  • alteredsteve175
    edited March 2021

I continued to get walks with my youngest this past week and since I missed Monday when they suggested a walk on Saturday I said yes. My husband joined in and it was lovely but I had a weird thing happen on the walk. We delayed getting going and by the time I got to the turn around point (about 30 minutes in) I felt weak. I think it had been too long since brunch. We cut it short. I started back slowly and my husband went and got the car. We had a snack on the way home and a healthy salmon dinner that night. On the weekends I may not need lunch but sometimes I feel I need a snack. The problem was I hadn’t realized I needed that snack until I was in the middle of my walk. ...

I have seen that same thing happen on hikes - both to myself and to others. One cause could be low blood sugar. Now we always pack a few snacks and eat something at the first sign of anything unusual.

• alteredsteve175
    Have an awesome weekend, all! Planning a desert hike for tomorrow. Stormaggedon is heading our way on Sunday, so I gotta' get it done Saturday.

What do you all have on your agenda?
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Just checking in....welcome to everyone that is new. The support I get from this community is awesome and I am accepting friend requests if anyone would like to exchange support.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,014 Member
    Have an awesome weekend, all! Planning a desert hike for tomorrow. Stormaggedon is heading our way on Sunday, so I gotta' get it done Saturday.

What do you all have on your agenda?

A desert hike sounds amazing: Is it cactus bloom season (I hope)?

I have nothingNothingNOTHING on my agenda this weekend, other than chores (booooorrrring) and a machine row on Saturday (Sunday is my usual rest day). We're due rain this weekend (need it), so nothing much outdoor planned.

On the good news front, pretty much zero side effects from my Pfizer #2 on Thursday. There may've been a little fatigue, but in this group y'all know that might be a signal/noise misperception at my age, fatigue can be random, and I did get up a li'l early to make it to the vax appointment. 😆 I'd adjusted my brain to maybe missing some workouts if there were side effects, but I got them all in . . . kept it a little moderate in intensity to give my immune system as much bandwidth as possible to do the good things it needs to do.

Now I'm on the 14-day countdown to do . . . pretty much what I've been doing all along, honestly, until community spread in my area is under control. Not a fussification, to me: Despite being a solo-ager, I'm doing fine so far, I think.

The weird (entertaining) thing is that the bruise at my vax site looks like a secret symbol. I *always* bruise from pokes, always have, so NBD. Usually they're just blob-shaped, though. So funny!

Just FTR, here's another couple of fun flowers in the yard, two hellebores (plus some early daffodils that snuck into the collage pic):

36e7e8ijkaca.jpg

Also, this tiny rock garden iris ("Katherine Hodgkin"). Photos never do it justice, it's really ethereally lovely, with a sort of otherworldly inner glow):

dwhiau147wkn.jpg

I'll bet you can tell that here in the frozen North, I love these Spring blooms so much: Early harbinger of goodness to come.

Happy weekend, all!
  • BarryTone1
    BarryTone1 Posts: 4 Member
    I am back again. Tune up time. I cycle, run and take care of my farm for workouts. I have an open diary...FR’s would be appreciated.
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    I'm 65, and obese, and have a long history of yo-yo dieting! Here's hoping I make new friends and become more accountable here!
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Oh I am jealous of all the beautiful flowers pictures people are posting. Right now it is snowing and blowing and I've had to put my mares' winter blankets back on. The chihuahuas took one look out the back door and refused to emerge from the house. Come on, already, spring!