Don't Let the Bathroom Scale Get the Better of You

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    How much weight did you have to lose to before people started to notice you weight loss.

@BordeauxBee about 27 pounds. The first place I noticed weight loss was my feet. I was less than amused considering I had a super large belly but we do not get to pick where the fat comes from.
  • I'd always heard anecdotally that weight loss tends to go from the extremities in; that you notice your thigh measurement getting smaller before the hip measurement does, etc.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Yesterday morning the battery went out in my scales and I was sure I had lost some weight....got the batteries and got on them this morning and YES!.....my lowest weight so far!...exactly 97 lbs gone!...I am pretty excited !

Connie:

Well done.....maybe I need new batteries as my scale isn't moving LOL
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a scale for high weights.

@BordeauxBee
    I just bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digital-Bathroom-Measure-Tempered/dp/B01HI1W1V4/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603717296&sr=8-12

There are two options - one weighs up to 400 lbs, one up to 440. I just got it, so can't attest to how well it lasts, but so far it seems comparable to my old one. Fast, quiet, seems accurate/precise enough (I'm currently in the 200 lb range, but assume it would be equally accurate at higher end of its range as well).

I also recall seeing this one that goes up to 550 lbs, but have never tried it: https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Extra-High-Capacity-Extra-Wide/dp/B01ATYK3M6/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=High+Capacity+Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603716914&sr=8-9

I'm not sure about scales for higher weights than that, but someone else might have some suggestions if needed!
    Hope this helps!

That is the one I bought. It has an easy recalibration system. Also the extra wide was a feature I really appreciated when I needed it. I bought one that I had a hard time seeing the number while on it and it would disappear very quickly when I stepped off. It took me several tries which I suppose was good for step exercises but kind of frustrating as a scale.

NovusDies, 😆 “ was good for step exercises”

Thank you for recommendations. I have list them. ⚖️
    -BordeauxBee
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Yesterday morning the battery went out in my scales and I was sure I had lost some weight....got the batteries and got on them this morning and YES!.....my lowest weight so far!...exactly 97 lbs gone!...I am pretty excited !

Congratulations! 🎉 That is truly amazing!
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    I feel the same as many of you. I used to dread the scale. It was even worse, since I had to go to a Transportation company to use their scale which was intended for Cargo Freight. As the end of the month approached, I would get a pit in my stomach. In all honesty I think it got worse as I was already beginning to fail, and I didn't want everyone to know it.

Then during a future even, I purchased two fairly good scales and was doing quite well. I would step on both and try with all my might to stay still. But being so large it was quite impossible to get a accurate reading on either scale that it would fluctuate wildly every time I stepped on them. I gave up on the scales, as again it was a very stressful event that would be heavily on mind weeks leading up to weigh in date.

Then yet another attempt... I purchased a good digital scale that if I remember correctly weighs accurately to 400lb (will need to verify). Again every time I stepped on it the reading good swing 30 pounds in either direction. Then depending where you put it on the floor it could sing an additional 30 pounds. I actually thought I was doing good, then one day I was gut punched and consistently got weights in the range of 40 pounds on average higher. Thinking back I think this may be because I actually finally got down to around 400 pounds, and the scale was now giving somewhat a reasonable number, however it still completely fluctuated depending on where I put the scale and how I stepped on them. Either way it totally demoralized me. I then quite soon afterwards lost motivation and fell off the program.

So here I am now... I lost fairly significantly in 2018 didn't use scales. I did manage to gain some good habits though, and consistently didn't go through Tim Horton's or McDonalds for breakfast. However between Christmas 2018 and then going into Covid and the rest of 2019 I still managed to let the wheels fall off, and I gained a significant amount back (but much slower then in the past).

Since January, things have been going 100% amazing. I'm still not using the scales, I haven't' been through a single drive through. And every day my macro's are spot on where I want them to be.

But the scale is beginning to call my name. I'm going to try to hold off long enough that I'm as certain as possible they will be able to give me a number accurately. Will it be 2 months? 3 Months from now? I haven't decided yet.

Hmmmmmm.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,529 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hmmm. Unyielding surface is the first requirement for your scale.

Any surface with yield to it will reduce your apparent weight and make repeat measurements really hard.

Consider if need be an appropriately size tile, or similar with no yield.

I just did a search on Amazon Canada which normally carries less products than .com using the keyword 500lb scale and I can see two 500+lb "rated" scales plus several in the 440+ range, all under $50

I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

Most scales exhibit fake consistency by not showing you a different weight unless they detect something much different than before.

Regardless if you take multiple daily weigh-ins your weight trend changes will be obvious very soon.

Or you can do what you did before and not use the scale.

Maybe not in the very beginning but when you start concentrating on developing more sustainable deficits, at that point you may decide that it benefits you to be able to tell me precisely how much you're losing so as to maximize your food intake while still continuing to meet your weight loss goals!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,581 Member
    There is so much interesting stuff happening around here! Thank you for the good reads everyone!
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hmmm. Unyielding surface is the first requirement for your scale.

Any surface with yield to it will reduce your apparent weight and make repeat measurements really hard.

Consider if need be an appropriately size tile, or similar with no yield.

I just did a search on Amazon Canada which normally carries less products than .com using the keyword 500lb scale and I can see two 500+lb "rated" scales plus several in the 440+ range, all under $50

I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

Most scales exhibit fake consistency by not showing you a different weight unless they detect something much different than before.

Regardless if you take multiple daily weigh-ins your weight trend changes will be obvious very soon.

Or you can do what you did before and not use the scale.

Maybe not in the very beginning but when you start concentrating on developing more sustainable deficits, at that point you may decide that it benefits you to be able to tell me precisely how much you're losing so as to maximize your food intake while still continuing to meet your weight loss goals!

Didn't catch this post till just now... funny you wrote it, as I just this morning promised myself that whenever the day comes that I weigh in... I'll be carrying that scale from the Third floor all the way down to the Basement level where we have a concrete floor under the flooring.

I just looked up the last scale I purchased... And I'm a little surprised, it's actually a 550Lb Scale... I figure that's gota be able to weigh me. Now I wonder how much the linoleum flooring will mess with me? Ah... I'm still going to give it time. (and the tile idea is great!)

I think I'm on the same page though... I'm going to do it 3 times and average the result, and probably put it away for another 2 months... and repeat some sort of pattern, until the day comes I get closer to the nitty gritty.

Just working on patients and staying positive while the new shiny toy aspects of the my new WOL (way of life) become old hat.

Thank you!

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Great post, weigh daily, monthly? All a dilemma! What I have found useful is seeing your graphs; the fluctuations showing weight loss is not linear.
    I can’t weigh daily as I find the ups & downs quite triggering -“ my-nowt- works-so-I’ll- quit” mentality which has been dangerous as not only do I put the weight back on, I put on much more, each & every time.
    Hopefully this is the last time for all of us x
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I have tried weighing all different ways....daily,every other day, weekly, and every two weeks....after two years, I do better being accountable every day and know my scales are going to go up and down....but that is ok because if you are doing everything right, they will mostly go down!
  • I weigh most days but I am also female-bodied and going through menopause, so I have a lot of factors affecting my weight, needless to say. And it's useful to me to see it tick up two pounds suddenly and say, "Aha, bet that's my period!" or "Oh, I'm ovulating, THAT's why I'm retaining so much water suddenly!" Given the amount of swing and bounce I get, more data is the only way to smooth it out.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Maintenance is the same way. I am up and down all over the place. A lot of the swings is determined my how many carbs I had the day before and how much sleep I got. I've learned to average my daily weights into a weekly average and then it smooths things out much better and allows me to see if I am trending up or down. But daily weighing is a must for me. Totally understand those who can't abide it, but for me, it's the only way I can understand and tolerate the weight swings.
  • Joeblackwell75
    Joeblackwell75 Posts: 13 Member
    I can relate to all of the posts here. I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. It's awesome when you're down for the week, but miserable when you're up for the week. I weighed at the beginning and then two weeks in to see what was happening. I'm taking some advice from Bryan Ganey and I'm only going to weigh once a month. He has a great book detailing his weight loss journey and success with keeping the weight off called "Impossible: How I lost nearly 400 pounds without surgery". It's a very inspiring read and he's been on an incredible journey and transformation.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    I started averaging my daily weigh ins and really only pay attention to the 7 day average. For example, I gained 2.3 pounds on Friday, yet my 7 day average was down .5 pounds from the week before, so I was really right on target. Helps me manage the daily fluctuations without freaking out.
  • denisemlarnder
    denisemlarnder Posts: 14 Member
    I went over my calorie limit for 2 days (didn't even overeat or binge eat, just ate probably around maintenance) and gained 3 lbs! :'( Kicking myself for it now.