Tall and Skinny

Hi all My name is Brad, I'm 34 and I'm from Australia. I'm tall, about 6'3". I've always been tall and skinny. I currently weight 57kg (I know). I have a fast metabolism and I don't eat much. I usually weigh around 60-62kg. I recently had food poisoning and lost a lot of weight. It's really getting me down at the moment. I thought I'd join the forum for some inspiration, on how to maintain a good diet and gain some extra weight. I hope I can help some others along the way too. Thanks.

Replies

• Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    Hi all My name is Brad, I'm 34 and I'm from Australia. I'm tall, about 6'3". I've always been tall and skinny. I currently weight 57kg (I know). I have a fast metabolism and I don't eat much. I usually weigh around 60-62kg. I recently had food poisoning and lost a lot of weight. It's really getting me down at the moment. I thought I'd join the forum for some inspiration, on how to maintain a good diet and gain some extra weight. I hope I can help some others along the way too. Thanks.

How many calories are you eating per day?
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Your recent weight loss is likely to be due to dehydration and an “empty” gut from the food poisoning, but...
    Even at the highest weight you give your BMI would be 17.1. The very bottom range of “normal” for you is 73kg.

At this stage, it really does t matter what you eat - you just need to eat. And don’t bother about it being “healthy” either.
    There’s a great thread here with a list of calorie/ kilojoule dense foods, that would be a fab place to start. It’s called either something like “a list of calorie dense foods” or “tips for hard gainers”.
    Hopefully someone cleverer than me will be along in a minute to link it... 😉

Also, if you haven’t already, it’s worth talking to a medical professional about your weight.
  • spiralarchitect924
    spiralarchitect924 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks a lot for the replies fellas. I definitely don't eat enough, it's my own fault. I've been as heavy as 70kg but that was several years ago now. I train Muay Thai too, so that eats up a few calories too I guess. But it's no excuse. I know what I need to do, eat, I just need to motivate myself.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Cheers.
  • spiralarchitect924
    How many calories are you eating per day?[/quote]

At the moment I'm not sure. Maybe only around 2500. Definitely not enough I know.

• Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    How many calories are you eating per day?

At the moment I'm not sure. Maybe only around 2500. Definitely not enough I know.

[/quote]

Start using this app to track your food intake per day to see how many calories you are eating and increase by a few hundred per day and see if weight increases slightly over time
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Are you lifting weights? Generally your body needs some stimulus to signal it to build muscle versus storing fat.
  • spiralarchitect924
    [/quote]

Start using this app to track your food intake per day to see how many calories you are eating and increase by a few hundred per day and see if weight increases slightly over time [/quote]

Yes, I'm doing this as we speak. I get slack and forget to do it. Need to be more disciplined.
  • spiralarchitect924
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Are you lifting weights? Generally your body needs some stimulus to signal it to build muscle versus storing fat.

Hi mate. No, I'm not. I will definitely start doing some resistance training.

I'll update how I'm going in this thread at a later date. Cheers.
  • bkaul2222
    bkaul2222 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm 6'5" and was 149lbs at my lowest. Big yikes. Currently sitting at 165lbs, but have 180lbs in mind as my goal.
  • spiralarchitect924
    edited March 2021
    bkaul2222 wrote: »
    I'm 6'5" and was 149lbs at my lowest. Big yikes. Currently sitting at 165lbs, but have 180lbs in mind as my goal.

March 29, 2021 9:53AM
    6'5" damn you're tall haha. Looking like a bean poll ain't fun. Good luck with the weight gain. How many calories are you consuming daily?
  • bkaul2222
    bkaul2222 Posts: 15 Member
    Previously my goal had been 2800, now I bumped it up to 3200 since I've been doing some fitness/calisthenics classes in addition to climbing about 5-6 days a week.
  • spiralarchitect924
    A small update. I've been hitting 3.5K calories daily for the past two weeks. I'm up to 60.3 KG. I had gastro a few weeks back where I lost a fair bit of weight. I think some of that was water weight though. I'm happy to be back up to 60 KG though, which I haven't been for quite a while. My next target is 65KG, which I want to aim for slowly and steadily so I can maintain the weight.

I'm finding 3.5K calories quite an easy target for me to hit, I don't feel overfull. I think eating about 5 meals a day helps spread it all out. I'm trying to minimise my cardio too. Although I train Muay Thai at least two days a week, and I've started a bit of resistance training with free weights. I was told to lift heavy for only about 5 rep sets.

Cheers and I appreciate any advice.
  • spiralarchitect924
    edited April 2021
    And since I started counting calories, I realise how little I was eating. Probably only about 2000 calories a day or less.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do you like nuts/peanut butter, whole milk and cheese? Add those to meals/snacks to easily increase calories without too much bulk.
  • spiralarchitect924
    Do you like nuts/peanut butter, whole milk and cheese? Add those to meals/snacks to easily increase calories without too much bulk.

Yep, sure do. Peanuts are a huge help. I've been drinking a tonne of milk too haha
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Glad to hear that you are heading in the right direction. Credit to you.
  • spiralarchitect924
    KNoceros wrote: »
    Glad to hear that you are heading in the right direction. Credit to you.

Thank you 🙏
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    6'2 and train Muay Thai/Kickboxing as well

On a good day training I can burn around a 1000kcal pretty easy, give or take, and that's only about a 2 hour training rough figures

When I was training other martial arts and sports they calculated I was around 5000kcal a day about and I was still fairly low fat

Get a heart rate monitor maybe and just get an a balllpark figure of how much you're burning

I have food allergies turned out, so look into that as well, when I adjusted for those started to gain more too feels like

Resistance training and protein to pack on muscle best way to go in my experience. Muscle gives you shape and adds on weight

The push ups, situps etc. should already be some resistance training, but you might have to up the weight resistance, and add other excercises to grow muscle

Salmon and protein powder, a good one, can help greatly, besides getting ur carbs and stuff. Vitamins and supplements can help too

Make sure you drink enough water (with supplements or salts). Keep the diet healthy, eating just about anything can cause issues, long term

Watch your fats with peanuts and milk
  • spiralarchitect924
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah Muay Thai is pretty intense. Especially sparring a couple times a week, really gets the heart rate up. I'm consistently gaining weight at this stage without eating too much junk.