The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    no44s4me wrote: »
    2 years today, $2926 saved, 292,626 less calories, which equates to about 40lbs lighter and holding. Thanks to everyone here for helping me realize it just wasn't just me who had to slay this dragon. I have learned that you really can't kill it though, just tame it. Peace and joy to all.

Bravo!! hooray!!! 2 years and wishing you many more!!!
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @mtngrl3 It's not a healthy alternative to sugar but lollipops help me. I eat them very slowly and usually just 1 fights the craving. Also if you love ice cream there are a lot on the market now that aren't as fattening. Nick's and Halo are 2 that are good.

Sounds like a great plan, Jen!
  • RubyRed427
    edited March 2021
    For an unknown reason, I find myself feeling sad, depressed, and hopeless today. There is nothing new...well, maybe the latest mass shootings. That is pretty heavy. I am no longer thinking, "a drink will make me feel better." so I guess that is progress.
    Still, I need to find a natural way to ease my tension. It's rainy and gross here so perhaps a walk through the mall will help. I asked my daughter and grand daughters to go with me so that alone should help lift my mood.

I'm wishing you all a peaceful day. ~ Jen

I think you are an empath. You feel so deeply, Jen. That is a beautiful thing about you but it can be tough on you.
  • RubyRed427
    edited March 2021
    It didn't have to be this way. We all have a choice. Total devastation beyond all comprehension.

By the way, I have many cousins. This thread has never heard me speak about this man.
  • RubyRed427
    wmichben wrote: »
    @BarryTone1 Congrats on your healthy achievements. The "drinker in you" is known to some of us as the wolf waiting patiently in the woods. When we go back in the woods, he is all over us. The only way to avoid the wolf is to stay out of the woods. In other words, the vast majority of drinkers end up drinking exactly as they had done before. Moderation is extremely difficult, though I imagine there are some people successful at it. Most of us here though have tried and failed at that.

I don't even like moderate drinking. I'm not interested in 1 glass of wine, or 1 beer.

I want a bottle of wine ! Or several beers. I have a broken 'off switch' for sure. So, I had to just stop drinking altogether. Not worth the emotional devastation I have to go through. Just doesn't agree with me. 👎👎

That was exactly my problem too. Once I started, I didn't want to stop and I kept using it as a way to unwind. It went from a weekend thing to an occasional weeknight thing and in my late 30s, the recovery time was longer. I'm so glad that I cut it all out entirely and it feels good to take control of something where I have absolute control. So much of what we experience in our lives is based on circumstance, fortune, coincidence or just other forms of external influence. But I know that if I don't choose to drink, I won't drink and that is a great feeling.

Same. I was binge drinking most weekends (cos apparently its the 'normal' thing to do....I live in Scotland and we are big drinkers) and yeah, it was sneaking into mid week.

And the hangovers ?!? WOW. I am only 34 and I honestly can't stand even the thought of going through that again. 😫

It is such a con to think that life is enhanced by alcohol, right? I'm so happy we are trying our best to stay sober. Yes, the hangovers were becoming so painful. At my age, they progressed so much over the years. Who want that anymore? I'm proud of you!
  • RubyRed427
    wmichben wrote: »
    @BarryTone1 Congrats on your healthy achievements. The "drinker in you" is known to some of us as the wolf waiting patiently in the woods. When we go back in the woods, he is all over us. The only way to avoid the wolf is to stay out of the woods. In other words, the vast majority of drinkers end up drinking exactly as they had done before. Moderation is extremely difficult, though I imagine there are some people successful at it. Most of us here though have tried and failed at that.

I don't even like moderate drinking. I'm not interested in 1 glass of wine, or 1 beer.

I want a bottle of wine ! Or several beers. I have a broken 'off switch' for sure. So, I had to just stop drinking altogether. Not worth the emotional devastation I have to go through. Just doesn't agree with me. 👎👎

That was exactly my problem too. Once I started, I didn't want to stop and I kept using it as a way to unwind. It went from a weekend thing to an occasional weeknight thing and in my late 30s, the recovery time was longer. I'm so glad that I cut it all out entirely and it feels good to take control of something where I have absolute control. So much of what we experience in our lives is based on circumstance, fortune, coincidence or just other forms of external influence. But I know that if I don't choose to drink, I won't drink and that is a great feeling.

Yes, we are in control of what we do. There is this guy on youtube I used to listen to and he was a sober coach... at the end of each video he'd say "now, keep the alcohol out of your mouth." So true. I'm happy you are in a good place! You deserve it.