Gym Fears

Hey! So I have a lot of anxiety about the gym. There are so many machines to choose from! And I hate how big I am and how out of shape I am...I feel like everyone is staring.
I'm going to get a gym membership tomorrow and I'm just terrified.

Any advice? What types of gym workouts would you recommend for a beginner?

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Don’t be scared of the gym. Everyone is there trying to achieve something. Nobody started out perfect! Go in there and rock it!

Without knowing your fitness goals, I would say, take it one step at a time. Stick with the cable machines that show instructions on the side of how to perform the lift. Don’t try too much; just see what you enjoy!
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    To echo other's sentiments; most people are dialed-in to their own workout. Personally, if I see someone in the gym who is new, I am secretly rooting for their success.

Machines are a great intro to strength training. The staff is there to support you and I would not hesitate asking for a demonstration or guidance. And, yes, there are so many to choose from it can be daunting. I think its important to have a plan before you start your workout. If you begin three days a week for example, day one could be exercises where you push the weight - presses, overhead press, tricep push downs, etc. Day two could be pulling exercises, cable rows, lat pull downs...Day three could be legs. There is a lot of good information here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If weight loss is your goal, don't forget about cardio as a companion to strength training.

Even the buffest gym rat started somewhere. Best of luck - I wish you much success.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    To echo other's sentiments; most people are dialed-in to their own workout. Personally, if I see someone in the gym who is new, I am secretly rooting for their success.

Machines are a great intro to strength training. The staff is there to support you and I would not hesitate asking for a demonstration or guidance. And, yes, there are so many to choose from it can be daunting. I think its important to have a plan before you start your workout. If you begin three days a week for example, day one could be exercises where you push the weight - presses, overhead press, tricep push downs, etc. Day two could be pulling exercises, cable rows, lat pull downs...Day three could be legs. There is a lot of good information here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If weight loss is your goal, don't forget about cardio as a companion to strength training.

Even the buffest gym rat started somewhere. Best of luck - I wish you much success.

No reason for a beginner to do a split routine. Doing a full body workout 2 or 3 times week on the machines would be an improvement. 2-3 times a week per bodypart would match CDC guidelines.

btus6vvlglqn.png
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    DoubleG2 wrote: »

No reason for a beginner to do a split routine. Doing a full body workout 2 or 3 times week on the machines would be an improvement. 2-3 times a week per bodypart would match CDC guidelines.

btus6vvlglqn.png

I dig it! Great advice for the OP.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    I lift weights and I’m a very fit midlife female. If you walked into my gym, I’d give you a big smile and welcome you!!! You’d be surprised at how much others will encourage you.

You are beautiful no matter your physique. Take it one step at a time xx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    edited March 2021
    Every gym has at least one trainer that I know of. If intimidation of equipment is an issue, get a FREE session. Basically every gym trainer will offer one. This can help with learning how equipment works.
    Don't freak out about the "staring" thing. People are staring at THEMSELVES when they are there and are practically oblivious of the people around them.
    As mentioned, NO ONE came into fitness without working into one way or another. In fact, those at the gym are usually much more supportive and less critical about overweight people than the average Joe at work or in stores because they know you're there to CHANGE THAT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    If there are classes please think about giving it a go. I found them really helpful to get to know a few people, and learn a few things. Helped me feel more like I belonged.
  • meb2490
    meb2490 Posts: 290 Member
    The only advice I have is not to worry about what other people think of you at the gym. We were all beginners once. Whenever I see someone at the gym who is very big and out of shape I always think to myself "you are in the right place".