Weight loss stopped

Ok so two weeks ago I decided no more wine eat healthy, I walk and exercise anyway , so lost 1ib every day for a week then nothing !!!

What am I doing wrong , very disheartened :'(

Replies

• cadyh199
    cadyh199 Posts: 8 Member
    your metabolism adjusts to your new eating habits. Also 1 pound a day is not sustainable for a long time, so don't be discouraged when that pace slows!
  • natgurl95
    natgurl95 Posts: 17 Member
    7 lbs in one week is some pretty heavy weight loss, you should not expect to lose that much weight constantly. That 7 lbs was probably your body expelling water weight in reaction to no longer drinking wine or changing your diet. As long as you are eating at a deficit, and tracking your calories correctly and faithfully, you will lose weight, but do not expect to lose a pound a day. A 500 calorie deficit usually generates a 1 lb a week weight loss.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    mulie2014 wrote: »
    Ok so two weeks ago I decided no more wine eat healthy, I walk and exercise anyway , so lost 1ib every day for a week then nothing !!!

What am I doing wrong , very disheartened :'(

You might not be doing anything wrong! A big loss can be common to start, due to water weight and other things. But you don't want to maintain that level of loss because it would mean you're undereating. How many calories are you eating a day? What rate of weight loss did you select when you set up MFP? Your profile says you have 22 lbs left to lose, so a 2lb/week loss (the MFP max) may not be a good idea for you - it might be better to set a slower rate of loss. Slow can be frustrating, but it's easier on your body and you're more likely to be able to keep up the effort, rather than burning out.
  • mulie2014
    mulie2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi thank you for your message ,

Ok so for 30 years I was bulimic and 6/7 stone ( yes wrong )

5 years ago I thought enough is enough weight kinda stayed at 7/8 stone size 8

Now I’m 9 stone size 10 and sad ..

I’m eating about 700 calories a day

Bran flakes and banana

Ham and rivita

Banana and grapes

Chicken and spinach

That’s me ..

Just want too be 8 stone again

Xx
  • natgurl95
    natgurl95 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2021
    First off, what is your height? 9 stone is a healthy weight for most heights, you may not need to go losing much weight. Secondly, I don't know much about post ED nutrition, and how it changes your metabolism, but traditionally 700 calories a day is far too low. Anything below 1200 calories is not recommended without strict supervision from your doctor. If you are exercising while eating that low, you risk doing permanent harm to your heart, (read this community post https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1). I highly recommend finding a licensed nutritionist who can set up a proper diet plan based on your goals and history, and do not go into this with the expectation that you will lose fast. The less you weigh, the slower weight loss should be for health reasons.
  • mulie2014
    Thanks for that !
  • TheIncredibleMissE
    TheIncredibleMissE Posts: 30 Member
    I wouldn't worry. Sometimes when we start our weighloss journeys and throughout them periodically, we initially lose a lot at once, followed by a natural plateau where we might even gain a little back, which can be pretty disheartening. However, I just read an article that stated that these stalls in progress are actually a really good sign, as it shows that your body is adjusting to your healthier lifestyle. In fact, be worried if it DOESN'T happen, as it can mean your weight may come back in a yoyo effect. You have likely been doing things correctly and your body's improved metabolism is thanking you for it. Keep up the healthy habits and your weight loss will rev up again. Stay positive!
  • TheIncredibleMissE
    TheIncredibleMissE Posts: 30 Member
    Okay, I didn't see that you were eating so little. 700 calories a day is not enough to achieve a healthy lifestyle and your body may be trying to keep you alive by reducing the calories it burns. To lose weight, a person should eat NO LESS than 1200 calories ate the VERY MINIMUM. I think you may need to consult your doctor so he/she can help you adjust your lifestyle and habits to better suit your weight loss goals. Best of luck 🙂👍
  • julieash70
    julieash70 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Mulie2014. 700 calories a day is not alot to even maintain normal body functions. Seriously concerned for you. I can imagine changing that mindset is really hard and not easily done alone. When I was trying to change how I ate and thought about food as well as my body, I joined a group doing healthy things for accountability. Meetup is a great way to get involved and stay healthy. The group was focused on running, but healthy eating was a huge part of being able to run well and not hurt ourselves. We often talked about food and what we ate prior to running as well as habits outside of running. This helped me to form some better habits overall and I have developed a great support system and long term friends as well. It's great that you are on here and asking for advice, don't stop doing that, but remember that many of us are NOT PROFESSIONALS and should be taken with a grain of salt. It should also be said that we all need to remember to be kind to each other on here, not everyone has thick skin.
  • mulie2014
    Thank you so much for your kind words x
  • tradercourt1
    tradercourt1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2021
    700 calories will definitely backfire on you - you are sending your body a message that is it starving. It responds by slowing your metabolism and holding onto what it can. Do yourself a favor, eat healthy portions and continue your exercise. Be kinder to yourself. I have also had some frustration when weight loss seems to suddenly stop, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes- transitioning to a lighter weight takes some patience. I suggest you get off the scale and focus on healthy habits. Trying to do the same here!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Yes, please get in touch with a professional who can help you, since you have some extra considerations here. 700 calories is not enough for you to live on even if you were comatose, and you could be doing real harm. Please take care of yourself. <3
  • KotalKant
    KotalKant Posts: 2 Member
    Some people are being a bit rude here, but they are correct that 700 is too low. You'll harm yourself and your body will not respond right and will try to hold on to every bit of fat and energy it can.

I don't want to be morbid, but 700 calories a day is comparable to conditions in a concentration camp. I just read this stat the other day so what you said stood out. "In 1944, with the German war economy failing, the rations for camp inmates were cut again. Some inmates now received as little as 700 calories per day, forcing them quickly into starvation." Obviously they were also being forced into hard labor which accelerated the starvation, but I think this should still serve as a big red warning sign.

Don't be discouraged, plateaus happen. Like others have said, eat more (I wouldn't presume to know what would be a good calorie target for you would be, but 1200 like MissE suggested is definitely better than a starvation 700) and keep up the walking and your body should respond positively.

I know it's so so hard, but chase health instead of a number on a scale.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Just as an extra cautionary flag: anyone who reduces calories to a vlcd level (such as the one mentioned), even absent any history of ED, risks neurotransmitter changes that can manifest (as) an ED, especially if they're already at a fat reserve level commensurate to being <BMI 24.9

With a history of ED already in the mix you're well past an advanced playing with fire in a house full of newspapers and tinder stage.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    edit to above: **commensurate to being <BMI 24.9