Should I continue loosing weight or rather start building muscles?

Hello everyone.

In the past 14-15 months I have lost 30 kg, from 103 to 73. I am 1.79m, barely any muscles I have apart of essential once to sustain life functions haha.

I still feel like I have more or less 4 maybe 5 kg to lose, but at this point, I find it almost impossible. Diet around 1500 kcal sometimes 1800 kcal, nearly everyday walking, bike twice a week, slow running 3,4 times a week and for the past month, I have lost as little as 300g of body weight. Not gonna lie, this month I had few cheat days and I drunk alcohol once.

Most of the time I follow the paleo diet, high fat, moderate proteins, and carbs.

Let me share images of my posture:

The first image shows my posture when I sit:
hg5pdcphqm6o.png

The second one shows my morning posture when I tense my muscles:
lco5i1eymbmt.png

I also have some extra loose skin that I haven't figure out quite yet how to get rid off. That image was taken when I was on all fours, phone on the ground.
kkslyggbfcx5.jpg

What are your suggestions?
Shall I keep losing weight? Or shall I rather start gaining muscles. I can tell you from years of experience that my metabolism allows me to gain muscles very slowly. I am afraid that when I start gaining muscles, I will gain fat pretty quickly too. Any suggestions based on personal experience that is accepted by today's science? I will appreciate it very much!

Thank you.

Replies

• davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Congratulations on your progress. That’s a phenomenal effort.

My wife has some lose skin and it can create the impression she’s carrying more fat than she is. Your case seems borderline to me, although I’m new to this. I guess the key thing to have in mind that you can’t gain weight without gaining fat, so if you have in mind “running a bulk” you have to be comfortable with that.

I’d be interested to see others’ responses.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Are you lifting weights or doing any form of resistance training? How much protein are you eating?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2021
    Depends more on you and what you want.

It is certainly reasonable to add mass. It is also reasonable to maintain or lose the 5kg(reasonable goal).

I would lean towards whatever you feel adhearance would be intact best.

I would suggest resistance training regardless. A hypertrophy focused program would be a appropriate choice for all three options.

If you are novel to training any program would be acceprable and I really don't care as long as you are at the very least performing the recommended guidelines for resistance training.

As far as your response to previous training I would hazard your "slow muscle gain" had less to do with your metabolism and more to do with the stimulus dosed.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I would start the strength training now and attempt to build more muscle. Switch from measuring weight on a scale, to measuring body fat percentage with an emphasis on creating muscle even if the process is slow. More muscle will help you burn more calories which will help you maintain a lot easier.
  • jmgawecki1
    jmgawecki1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hey all,

thanks for your answers.

I suppose the best I can do is resistance training, keeping some cardio, and keeping a calorie level as it is right now (1500-1800kcal)?

Like I mentioned before, losing weight at this point is nearly impossible.

I usually eat from 20 to 25 grams of proteins per meal (5 meals a day), mainly from salmon, eggs, chicken, and white fish, sometimes lamb, beef, very rarely dairy. I am low on carbs, they come from carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, onions any type of vegetables. For fats avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, salmon, beef, eggs, occasionally butter, and bacon.

I'd like to also mention that I kept resistance training for nearly 10-11 months. Last 4-5 months I simply had no strength and time. My educated guess is, Paleo diet and significant lack of carbs influenced that. But Paleo (quasi Paleo in fact) is my personal choice not for muscles but for my brain and heart and I'm not willing to give up on that.

But I am willing to introduce some sort of sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. but only an essential amount. Any thoughts on that from a training perspective?

Thank you for advising me!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2021
    Bad calorie level for level of activity.
    You have small enough amount to lose to healthy weight that 250 cal deficit is reasonable.
    You attempting unreasonable is causing the issues now.

You can keep losing weight, but you can also make it extremely stressful on your body at the rate you are attempting.
    1500 would be about a 500 deficit from a SEDENTARY level of activity.
    But you are far from sedentary, therefore your attempted deficit is even more.
    You are likely slowly gaining stress-induced water weight.
    Your daily movement has likely been slowed down in ways you don't even see. Possibly even metabolism at this point.
    And your workouts probably suck compared to what they could be - you can't even compare in this state.

Paleo is fine for short cardio and strength training. Not endurance cardio you aren't doing.
    But you need to eat more of it, and carbs will help. Figure that out and you'll benefit.
    Insulin is good for muscle building after all.
    Keep at the tweaks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Bad calorie level for level of activity.
    You have small enough amount to lose to healthy weight that 250 cal deficit is reasonable.
    You attempting unreasonable is causing the issues now.

You can keep losing weight, but you can also make it extremely stressful on your body at the rate you are attempting.
    1500 would be about a 500 deficit from a SEDENTARY level of activity.
    But you are far from sedentary, therefore your attempted deficit is even more.
    You are likely slowly gaining stress-induced water weight.
    Your daily movement has likely been slowed down in ways you don't even see. Possibly even metabolism at this point.
    And your workouts probably suck compared to what they could be - you can't even compare in this state.

Paleo is fine for short cardio and strength training. Not endurance cardio you aren't doing.
    But you need to eat more of it, and carbs will help. Figure that out and you'll benefit.
    Insulin is good for muscle building after all.
    Keep at the tweaks.
    A fact that many keteors and paleo people overlook.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2021
    Good job on losing the weight

Additional some of the good advice above, take a look at this video to consider:
    https://youtu.be/_9pWLqaULjQ

Pro cyclists eat plenty of carbs, and can be pretty skinny, because they burn so much, can see the same with triathletes

'barely any muscle' :
    What's your goal? Your body looks somewhat shaped as is, and wondering what you are focusing on, and how realistic that is or should be? Some body builders can have reverse anorexia iiuc, and there things such as body image issues, just something to be aware off

The exercise you are doing may be having more effect than you realize

You might want to check if you have gluten allergy or intolerance, and that's why avoiding carbs subconsciously maybe

• taylorelise_27
    taylorelise_27 Posts: 10 Member
    Start lifting Bud! Will help you burn more calories and you can start building muscle!
  • iamstephsalazar
    iamstephsalazar Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hi guys I’m going to contribute to
    Should I continue losing weight or rather start building muscles?

I’m sort of in the same situation on what to do, although some differences I kinda need some advice from those who are more experienced in this field of nutrition, tracking calories/macros and building muscle.
    My goal is to be stronger, fitter and with the bonus of ‘looking’ the part too.

Stats:
    34 year old female
    5’7
    Using the Scooby calculators (I’m not working at present) my TDEE is around 2200, BMR around 1411
    Apart from burning the essential BMR 1411 calories, I’m also burning way more than 3500 a week from additional activity.
    Logging everything carefully into MFP, I’m eating on average around 1700 a day. Obviously having cheat meals once a week if I feel like it. Boosting it to the odd 2100 on those days.
    My ratios are: Net Carb 14% 51g / Protein 26% 93g / Fat 59% 93g. I’m doing ok so far and don’t feel like I’m starving or torturing myself.

Starting weight at 152lbs with 29 inch waist (skinny fat haven’t worked out in 9 months) Been doing 30 mins interval training with weights and body weight x3 a week, walking almost everyday and doing a long hike on the weekends to get back into it.
    Started this fitness and nutrition journey on April 5th 2021. I’m now 5 weeks in.
    Current weight at 149.9lbs with 28 inch waist and the scale hasn’t shifted much because I’m assuming my body fat is dropping while I’m getting somewhat stronger and fitter(?).
    The questions are, should I be lifting heavier weights to drop the fat? I know the last 10-20lbs are the hardest to shift.
    Should I also be eating more? I know that I shouldn’t add more protein than what I need. I’m just worried that after calculating the
    TDEE - BMR - exercise calories burnt + average daily calorie intake = not eating enough. Still confused about the numbers.

Can someone help me understand if I’m doing this right or if I’m missing something ?
    Thanks
    (Photos from before I started, second photo was taken last week - left image not sucking in, middle image front not sucking in, right image sucking in)

c9lptndkustv.jpeg
    3p1bi015rcgk.jpeg
  • heybales
    500 cal deficit it fine until I'd suggest last 10 lbs left, then 250 would be more reasonable.
    More reasonable is less stress on body.
    Your formula is too convoluted.
    It only needs to be TDEE - deficit = eating goal. (TDEE is composed of BMR, TEF, EA, NEAT - no need to break it out UNLESS you decide to use the MFP method instead)

The type of workout doesn't matter for the fat loss, as far as heavier weight lifted doesn't matter. Only the deficit.

So if you like your set and rep range, and are more importantly progressing the weight and/or reps - you don't need to swap it up to a higher weight lower rep program.
    But since you are doing intervals it's closer to cardio with weights - the focus isn't the muscles to much then.
    But if you like the workout and see how to progress with it to keep it a workout, fine.

After a month of accurate eating records and attempting that 500 cal deficit, and having either a trend weight app showing no progress, or only weighing on valid days (morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout) and not showing progress of 4 lbs - adjust eating goal to reflect estimated TDEE was wrong.

This might help nail your TDEE better, and do that adjustment after a month.
    Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts from 1919 study.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Looking good OP, and congrats on 66 pounds lost, that's awesome.

I agree with others, get on some resistance training and bump up your calories to at least maintenance level or very slightly above (while eating back workout calories). Also be sure to get enough protein, imo about 0.7g per pound so 110g.
  • heybales
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Same question here, I've lost nearly 13 lbs as carefully as possible from 187 to 174 (at 6'1") since the first of this year, while doing resistance training, but now I just feel skinny, not much muscle, and not much abs to show for. Is it wise to keep losing weight to achieve desired fat loss? I was eventually at around 1850 calories, but now weight trend is starting to level off as I haven't been as strict as I was in the first 4 months of the year. Frustrating being in limbo.

Has the weight on the bar stayed the same, or intensity?
    Actually, did you start lifting with the diet, or during it?

If weight range is almost decent - many will stop the weight loss, do a hypertrophy program, tighten up, and see where they are for deciding how much further loss.