Parent shaming?

2»

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    DeaJay_ wrote: »
    Is it even possible to rant about TikTok. I mean, it's TikTok. That's like going to the freak show and saying there's too much freaky *kitten* going on.

It’s not just on there. I was just using it as an example of where I have seen it. The issue isn’t with TikTok. It’s with ignorant people

I definitely think you're right that this is a viewpoint that has both become more common, especially among younger generations, and it has become more socially acceptable to say so. Rudeness has also become more socially acceptable (if you're not the target, at least). And people are rude about all kinds of opinions, including expressing ones I agree with (and I hate when that happens!)

Contraception of some form or another has been around since ancient times, but its use was not widespread or reliable until very recently in human history. It's a really big society game changer and I think we forget sometimes that it hasn't always been around. Even though there's more people than ever before, birth rates have plummeted. Lots of people go about their lives and never regularly come into contact with children, which is also a new thing. It used to be that societies skewed heavily toward the young, and now they skew toward the elderly. That's going to impact opinions and behaviors about kids and about the people who have them, especially if they're outliers in their communities.

People really should mind their own business if nobody's causing harm. I do see things a lot that make me sad, and as I posted earlier sometimes people have directed nasty thoughts my way. But I really can't spend my time getting mad about it. A lot of times people who say nasty things have no interest in genuine discussion - they just want to be mean. They're also the only ones who can stop themselves. If it's online, I just turn it off. In person, I walk away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited March 2021
    DeaJay_ wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Has anyone ever thought that couples that don't have kids maybe don't want to because they may have had childhoods that weren't happy? And don't want to chance doing that to their own kid?

And also there are people who are career oriented and may feel they won't be able to care for a child the right way.

I never look at couples who decide not to have children as odd. There are some that can't because of physical and health issues yes, but those that just don't choose to shouldn't be treated any different than other couples that do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree and I wasn’t saying anything negative about people not having them. I said why are people that do being bullied.
    Because inherently, regardless of age, people don't want to feel that others are doing better than them. Maybe the bullying parent is having a tough time with a teenager, but knows that people without kids don't have to deal with that and may envy it. It's not that much different than anything else, just whom it's directed at.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I haven’t really heard this or seen this but I believe it happens. I will say some dog parents go overboard. Cat parents are the worst though, especially the ones that own multiple cats. Ugh.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    It's blowback from years and years and years of society valuing people who choose to have children over people who don't. Despite what you may see on TikTok, in the real world, people who choose not to have children are still looked down upon. Like there is something wrong with that choice.

Rest assured that outside of social media, society still looks highly upon the choice to be a parent.

This. And it's insensitive as *kitten* to those of us who don't have kids but might actually want them. It's ableist to assume everyone without kids is without them by choice.

Dogs are cuter and they don't talk back.
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    edited March 2021
    Ableist?

Bingo!

*runs to the front clutching card and pearls*
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    byUoU.gif
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    Ableist?

Bingo!

*runs to the front clutching card and pearls*

Yes, ablelist.

I have epilepsy and I won't be able to have children without some pretty difficult decisions. I'll probably have to start making them fairly soon. It's hard, and yes, I'm sensitive about it.

People making negative judgements about childfree people will never sit well with me. It especially hurts coming from people who have children.

No, we don't understand. But maybe we wish we did.

Not to worry, mine is an attempt at humor, rather than judgement. :flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    It's blowback from years and years and years of society valuing people who choose to have children over people who don't. Despite what you may see on TikTok, in the real world, people who choose not to have children are still looked down upon. Like there is something wrong with that choice.

Rest assured that outside of social media, society still looks highly upon the choice to be a parent.

Yes, I'm a political junky and both US parties talk about "American families" all the time, making having children the norm.

My partner started referring to the two of us as a "family" after we got a cat :lol:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited March 2021
    My 2 dds keep reminding me I have a grand-cat and a grand-dog. I also had a grand-fish until ds had to flush it down. :/

The term 'family' has a much different meaning within today's society than it used to and I think it's a wonderful thing <3
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I haven’t really heard this or seen this but I believe it happens. I will say some dog parents go overboard. Cat parents are the worst though, especially the ones that own multiple cats. Ugh.

.... so you don't want to see pictures of my cats? Oh man. And they're just about to turn 120 months old 😕

But are they potty trained??