Padded bike shorts... yes or no?

2»

Replies

• LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    If you’re biking longer than 20 minutes I say yes. I’ve been cycling about 2 years now and just broke down and bought bib shorts..awesome.

Also..if you are a straight cyclist get the cycling ones not the triathlon ones. I do both..the tri ones are MUCH thinner, but also drain after swimming faster.
  • BarryTone1
    BarryTone1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2021
    I prefer them on longer rides (20+ miles) on the KATY trail but don’t really care when doing shorter rides....but I still prefer them.

Also. There is a HUGE difference between quality and cheap padded cycling shorts. Buy quality. You won’t regret it.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 169 Member
    Are there any tips on ways to find the best fit, since these items are non-returnable (with the e caption of a few with a 30 day guarantee. I have a pair of shorts that fits, except the chamois has too much space fto. The bottom. I also found mine to be a little itchy. I am not sure if that is the shorts, the chamois cream, and/or riding the trainer for 1.5 hours (I fid get off after half hour).
  • KelBlundell
    KelBlundell Posts: 47 Member
    Yes yes yes yes. To padded shorts!

I started cycling about a decade ago. First commuting then on top for pleasure. I found if it's under 30 min then you dont need padded shorts.

If you do go over that, wear them!

What I will also say is in winter, keep your thighs and hands warm. You can get fleece lined cycling tights and put cycling shorts over the top for extra warmth. Not underneath because thrush!

I get raynauds in my hands so sealskin gloves are a must in winter.

I hope you enjoy it and continue to push on!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    And the verdict is finally in! I got myself handle bar extensions and a nice padded seat, both of which wereace. A real improvement.... but going back out after a winter off, I still had the bruising issues...
    Enter the cheapo cycling knickers from Amazon.
    Amazing! An hour on the bike, no issues at all, and- and this could be coincidental, or to do with improved strength from cross training- I managed all the hills which previously have defeated me. Perhaps being able to stay in one place on the saddle has improved my leg position???
    Happy enough with that, anyway!