Less Alcohol - MARCH 2021

Replies

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 782 Member
    @lmlmrn
    I hope everything goes well with your visiting friend.
    I know that I had to distance myself from the drinking crowd when I decided to cut back.
    I have one friend in my "bubble" that drinks wine every day. Some days it is a trigger for me.
    I get what you are wondering, if you will have anything in common besides drinking.
    The world indeed becomes small if it revolves around drinks.

So many ways to make a Bloody Mary, or in this case a Virgin Bloody Mary.
    Up here we drink Bloody Caesars (clamato instead of tomato) so you would be hard pressed to find anyone that has heard of a Bloody Mary believe it or not. I like them better because Clamato is so thin compared to Tomato Juice.

Typical would be Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt and pepper, rimmed with celery salt or coarse salt.
    I like to put horseradish in mine. It might look kind of gross, but it is so yummy.
    There is also a version that uses a beef bouillon cube which is interesting but a bit salty.
    A splash of pickle juice makes it interesting.

hmmm, this sounds promising. I have to watch my sodium or I puff up like a doughnut. I have some celery bitters I wonder how that would taste? Thank you I am going to do a tad bit of experimenting I believe

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    Happy March!
    In like a lamb.

I am continuing with my goals that I have mostly been following for a year:

16-20 AF days per month
    Don't drink 2 days in a row
    Try to keep 2 AF days in between drinks days

I choose the diary style so that I check in every day, keep myself accountable, and can see at a glance where I am at.

Friday March 19 - Drinks.
    Saturday March 20 - AF - because I had drinks last night.
    Sunday March 21 - AF - Planned AF for Monday also.
    Monday March 22 - AF - because early morning and a long day tomorrow. I might have a few drinks Tuesday night.
    Tuesday March 23 - Drinks - 2, because I didn't want to hurl. Ready to catch that 16th AF day.
    Wednesday March 24 - AF - Always hard to be AF the day after drinks. Had to use some willpower.
    Day 3 of 6 days of ice skating today : - ) This will be the last of the season, so very grateful that the Kinnette Club stepped up and booked the ice for free public skating once a day.
    Thursday March 25 - AF - Had a really great skate today in between jobs. A drink would have been nice tonight, but I wanted to get my 2 AF days in. I will be having a few drinks with my friend to celebrate her birthday this weekend. I definitely am aiming for the 20AF days for the month.
    Friday March 26 - AF - Because I plan on having drinks over the weekend.
    Saturday March 27 - Drinks, 3 over the course of 6 hours, so no puking lol.

Rolling total: 18AF days out of 27 days.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 782 Member
    hello to all
    @globalhiker thank you for your list of positives!!!! B) and insights

Yesterday the 'beer basher' crept into my life and I allowed (going to own this one). Pizza, movie and 2 beers at home. But on the plus side I was able to take a well needed nap that lasted 3 hours, vs the 1 hour sleep I managed the night before.

**caution** a whining rant, skip if you are easily bored.

Most of you know I have had this awful virus/nasal crap that has lasted now for over 30 days. I have tried most everything. Right now I am finding mild success with some generic 24 hour allergy tabs and cool mist humidifier in what ever room I am camped in. Yesterday I developed a cold sore (more of the virus) on the outer corner of my mouth. I am almost ready to pay to see my Dr. again (no insurance). I know there is nothing they can give you for a virus but still.....my nose is so raw, it bleeds.

@lumipower I found finding a non alcoholic drink that you enjoy along with a snack will scare the wine witch back a block or two. What part of the world are you in? If you don't mind my asking? Just trying to figure out lumi.....nickname, tribe name, or something other...I can be a curious cat sometimes.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    3/1-3/7: Very bad, lots of drinks
    3/8-3/14: 4 AF days, 8 drinks
    3/15-3/21: 5 AF days, 5 drinks
    3/22: AF
    3/23: AF
    3/24: AF
    3/25: AF
    3/26: 2 drinks
    3/27: 2 drinks

Friday was a rollercoaster. Posted here, then went to PT where I started to feel a lot better, then the staff started joking about happy hour starting early during Friday Zoom calls and said I should have a margarita, which was weirdly triggering. I did NOT have a margarita because it was an important call, but at 4pm husband started pouring the rosé and I had to get tf out of the house. I started an audio book and walked as long as I could, and when I finally came back my head was in a better place. It was easy to stick to my two planned drinks.

Yesterday turned into the battle of keeping myself occupied until dinner while husband drank the day away. Another long walk, a long shower, painted my nails, styled my hair, put on a dress and heels for our delivered sushi dinner. Very much looking forward to 2 weeks after my second vaccine jab when I might feel safe eating out again. It’s officially been 13 months since I ate in a restaurant.

I hit 159 lbs this weekend, which was a huge deal to me. I haven’t seen a number under 160 in years. It feels like I’m making real progress. The dress I picked out was a bit snug when I bought it, and now it fits perfectly. I’m a little sad that it will only fit for another 10 lbs or so, but I’ll do what Marie Kondo says and let it spark joy for someone else on Poshmark 😂

Not really feeling the drinks tonight, but not ruling them out either. My birthday is Thursday and I’m having real live people over to celebrate on Saturday, so I’m sure there will be lots of wine this week.
  • vvlucky
    vvlucky Posts: 51 Member
    @chocolate_owl Your month looks very successful! It's so hard for me to not drink when others are imbibing. Congratulations on 159. That would be my DREAM weight, but I'd be truly happy with 175.

@globalhiker Many words of wisdom from your list. I'm working to remove blame from my repertoire and replace it with self-compassion, and compassion for my daughter. Intellectually I can do this - and am working through therapy to have that seep into my heart, which is where I believe it will make the big difference for me. I especially love the notion of staying under my maximum stress load - which is a concept I've never really processed. As a family, and especially as the primary caregiver, my max stress load has been tested over and over. What a treat to think I don't have to live like that - and actually right now in my life I do not. So, thanks for putting words to that.

I tracked all day. I have enough points for 2 glasses of wine. Today was supposed to be AF. Not sure what I am going to do.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    @globalhiker Congratulations on conquering your cravings! You’ve gotten to a really good place. I will say IMO the wine devil is taking a nap, and drinking will probably wake it up, but you’re also equipped with all the tools to put it back to sleep.

About my job: it’s dysfunctional for sure, but the only reason I can imagine leaving it is an overseas position, which I promised husband I wouldn’t pursue until after his mom passed away. I’m good at it and our products matter to me. I’ll just continue to gripe to the appropriate manager as things come up.

@Lilylady3k Wow, staying AF at a party! That’s impressive.

@Lastchancetochange Nice to see you around again! Nice job staying away from alcohol for a weekend. Keep making the effort, it’s worth feeling better!

@lumipower Welcome! I still want a glass of wine at the end of the day, but if I can keep myself occupied I can ignore the craving until it passes. Everything from chores to cooking to time-wasting phone games to books really helps.

@dawnbgethealthy that sounds like a more enjoyable way to enjoy 3 drinks 😆

@lmlmrn Sending all the good vibes I can for you to get better!!

@vvlucky At some point I had to stop thinking of my husband pouring a drink as a reason for me to have one. I can’t change his habits, I can’t keep up with him, and it just hurts me. If a friend offers me a drink it’s a lot harder to say no, though. If today was supposed to be AF, keep it AF. Have a different treat. This gets a lot easier if you make a plan and stick to it.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Happy March!
    In like a lamb.

I am continuing with my goals that I have mostly been following for a year:

16-20 AF days per month
    Don't drink 2 days in a row
    Try to keep 2 AF days in between drinks days

I choose the diary style so that I check in every day, keep myself accountable, and can see at a glance where I am at.

Wednesday March 24 - AF - Always hard to be AF the day after drinks. Had to use some willpower.
    Day 3 of 6 days of ice skating today : - ) This will be the last of the season, so very grateful that the Kinnette Club stepped up and booked the ice for free public skating once a day.
    Thursday March 25 - AF - Had a really great skate today in between jobs. A drink would have been nice tonight, but I wanted to get my 2 AF days in. I will be having a few drinks with my friend to celebrate her birthday this weekend. I definitely am aiming for the 20AF days for the month.
    Friday March 26 - AF - Because I plan on having drinks over the weekend.
    Saturday March 27 - Drinks, 3 over the course of 6 hours, so no puking lol.
    Sunday March 28 - Drinks. I have officially broken 2 of my rules for myself this month - haven't had drinks 2 days in a row in a long time. All good though. Had a drink, then pizza and a beer with my friend on her birthday, then cake and a liqueur. Our plan was to go for a nice hike today on her birthday and then have pizza. It was gusting and raining here today, so no hike. I took a non-alcohol bottle of wine to her place (she is a wine drinker) because I can no longer tolerate wine. I tried two sips and it was very terrible. I was like "um, do you have a cracker please?" I really needed to get the taste out of my mouth. She drinks white, but offered to open a bottle of red for me - I couldn't because I have lost my tolerance for wine, even a few sips makes me very sick. I had a bailey's, then a beer with the pizza, then a cointreau after.

Rolling total: 18AF days out of 28 days.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    hello to all

Most of you know I have had this awful virus/nasal crap that has lasted now for over 30 days. I have tried most everything. Right now I am finding mild success with some generic 24 hour allergy tabs and cool mist humidifier in what ever room I am camped in. Yesterday I developed a cold sore (more of the virus) on the outer corner of my mouth. I am almost ready to pay to see my Dr. again (no insurance). I know there is nothing they can give you for a virus but still.....my nose is so raw, it bleeds.

Oh dear. I had that for a few weeks, took a bunch of stuff until a friend told me to put vaseline all around up my nose with a q-tip. It really did work. I am still doing it morning and night.

I really feel like my sinus pain, raw nose, and skin issues are from having to wear a mask all of the time for work.
    I have no idea why the vaseline works. I haven't put it up there since early this morning and my nose is beginning to burn again, so I will apply some.

How much does it cost to go to the doctor btw?
    I am not trying to be facetious, but is it the only country in the world where you have to pay to get medical care?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    @Lilylady3k
    Good going on being AF. Finish the month strong.