WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    There are no words to describe how glad I am to find all of you still here. What dedication. That you are so ope to sharing your lives in such an uplifting way is a real inspiration.
    It has been several years- I am not sure the last time I was on MFP. I will never catch up so I won't try.

Here goes- some personal information that I have never discussed even while a regular reader and poster (is that a term?). My DH died following years of ill health since I last posted. I thank the VA everyday for its excellent care. Two other family members have been battling mental health issues. The following also is a longstanding situation-. A grandchild who has had cancer for 8 years (and is only 11), has lived through unbelievable pain from head to toe, countless chemo, radiation, infected ports, immunotherapy, clinical trials, 2 unsuccessful CAR-Ts, bone marrow transplant, and as of this week - heart surgery. I have been back-up for years, and there were weeks that I stayed at hospital round the clock to relieve the parents (Some of us telecommuted long before the past year and publishers don't care where the computer is located). COVID has exacerbated the emotional and financial problems. I know that TV says that no family ever gets a bill, but- that simply is not true. Most families have horrific bills from everything associated with treatment: Co-pays, transportation, moving to treatment locations where the costs of housing and food and everything else is more expensive, job losses, babysitters for siblings because extended family has to work, and more. Illness, particularly catastrophic, chronic is the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. So many families have lost loved ones this year, so I should be grateful for the burdens I have been asked to bear.

I should have been on this board but did not want to be a soap opera or a Greek tragedy. (did I mention my horse died last spring?) So consequently, I look like a whale. So, there you have it. Back to logging and reading all the uplifting messages that you all post. I missed you and should have realized that no matter what, at least one of you had heard it all or knew exactly what I was feeling.
    CJ

CJ. - Glad you're back! We are all soap operas and Greek tragedies. Such is life. ;)

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    CJ - Welcome back! I have really missed you. I remember when you popped back in a couple of years ago or so and then disappeared again. Now I know why you have been away and I send my great big, heartfelt hugs. What a time of it you have had. :'(<3 But you are right, you are not alone. So many on this thread have had losses and struggles this year. Or any year, come to that.
    The illness or loss of a child is especially hard and must be draining and exhausting for everyone. These things just take over your life.
    I can see that you know it is now time to nurture yourself as well as others. <3 We can't change the world, but we can put a bunch of flowers on our own mantlepiece.

Much love from Heather in the UK, where, from today, we are able to meet in two households, or up to six people, outside, and even in gardens! :o:o:p Weather forecast for this week, 75° F.

XOXO
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    CJ- welcome back,im so sorry you have had a hell of a time,and my condolences on tbe loss of you DH,and will pray for your grandchild..
    Believe me I know all about bills,and with no income other than alimony until i hear back from disability. Im squeaking by..
    I did try and sleep but will call drs office when they open.. im.having a gout attack and its very painful so i am awake. About 4 hrs maybe 4.5 hrs of sleep
    Here is hoping they will fill a script for prednisone and allopurinol..
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    CJ Welcome back, sorry for all you have had to bear. Echo Heather’s words.

Looking forward to end of April, DS birthday, in the past we have celebrated at his house with huge gathering and lots to eat and drink. If the weather is clement we will gather in his garden with his daughters and their kids. We will have had our 2 jabs then as well.

My blue tits didn’t return to bird feeder, at least we haven’t seen them. Maybe they sneak in when we’re not around. We do have a few cats in the neighbourhood so maybe that puts them off.

Kate UK ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Good Morning, ladies. I’ve been behind for a few days, so apologies if I have missed anything.

Heather: ~ We can meet in groups of up to 6 others in gardens from Thursday, so may manage a family get together outside over Easter.

CJ: ~ Welcome back. (((Hugs)))

Feeling introspective.

life marches forward
    impervious to all thoughts
    seize the moment now

do or do not act
    savour inactivity
    or assume control

exercise your rights
    be the captain of your ship
    plot and steer your course

We have all had a rough year. We cannot stop life happening to us but we can control how we choose to react to it. I’m grateful to be able to be here with all you inspirational people.

💐 Love all the flower pics.

☘️ Terri
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    CJ Welcome back! So sorry to hear of the loss of your DH and the issues your grandchild/family is facing. Sending healing thoughts prayers your way. ((( <3 ))) I am happy you remembered that we are here, for you. KJ
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    @CSSJ09 ... so sorry!

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Well i got another hour and a half sleep ,but waiting for the drs office to open up so i can call and see if i can get a couple of scripts.. the pain is excruciating.. i only get an attack maybe once or twice a year if that.. and i know i should have the meds on hand..
    Will go check on tbe pups today and get them outside as Tom is driving to florida.and Elena is working..
  • cityjaneLondon
    I celebrated our 'Happy Monday' by colouring my roots and putting clear varnish on my nails. :D:p
    Of course it meant skiving off my editing , but the sun is shining and I really, really needed the boost to my mood. I hate my grey.
    In two weeks time I have a haircut appointment. I booked it the minute Boris named April 12th for hairdressers to reopen.
    Now all I need is to shave 7 lbs off my weight so I can fit into my sparkly dresss for Pride in August. B)

Tandoori chicken with roasted cauliflower and raita for dinner. Yummo!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited March 2021
    CJ so good to hear from you. I am so sorry to hear about all the hardship that you are facing. I was sorry to here about the loss of you husband. I am glad he got good care. My prayer for you is you carve out some time just for you to nurture yourself. I know much easier said then done. There is a great ad on TV that just says take 15 seconds to breathe and think calm. Sometimes it feels that is about all you can spare. I know too sometimes just trying to explain what is happening to you is exhausting. It is okay to not be okay. You do whatever you need to do to help yourself during this trying time. When you do find those times and people that help use them.

My way of coping with DH recent hospitalization is to go on a clean out binge. For me there is something about clearing and cleaning out a space that helps me feel I have room to breathe. Fortunately keeping my calendar clearer is easier to do with COVID. I have a few things to clear off the calendar. I am not adding anything for at least 3 to 4 weeks and /or until I see where DH is in his health. He may be discharged today.

For those of you who things are going well. I will just say keep car working well and repairs up to date as needed. Gas tank full and your health the best you are able because this is the reserve that will be called upon to use in times when the (!x!x) hits the fan.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    CJ — Welcome back. It is good to see you again. You have many friends here. I am so sorry for your losses. <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    CJ- Hugs!

Boobs squished. Permanent crown being cemented as I type. I asked my SIL to do one thing this morning, she failed SMH. It is expected so no real disappointment.

Have a blessed day!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Tracey
    Julie - it always reminds me how times have changed when we mention how “he would or wouldn’t” eat this or that. My MIL for years wouldn’t cook anything but meat, potatoes and vegetables as my FiL didn’t like it so she didn’t want him to have to smell it. Now she makes it and tells him to leave the room if he doesn’t like it. She still makes something different for him though.
    So that goes to show we have made some progress! Wow your grandma was disciplined food-wise!

Tina
    I was a picky kid eater, but I haven’t been picky since my early 20s. Now, I love to cook and travel and my palate has changed drastically. One thing I cannot handle much of is really spicy (hot) food. It just doesn’t agree with my digestive system. AND, I like to taste the food, not the heat.
    I don't like really spicy food. Here in France there is really no really spicy food. it's not in the culture. In the usa or elsewhere one can find uncomfortably hot food in some places but i have never seen that in France in 30 years. so, for me, spicy, means rather/quite mildly spicy : like with black pepper or mild curry paste.

CJ- i don't think i was on the thread when you were here. I'm sorry for your losses.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :)C.J. Welcome back. It is never too late to start again to take care of yourself. You have been there for others. Now, be there for yourself.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Cycling on Sunday ... yeah, it was kind of a dark and stormy afternoon.

aifjpmk2q79h.png

uw054nc52dbb.png

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    Phew! ;)
    I don’t usually buy the grandkids Easter eggs, as I reckon they get a lot of chocolate from everyone, so I usually look for an alternative present. Some have been very successful, others not. This year I simply couldn't think what to get them, so I asked DDIL if it was OK to buy them chocolate eggs. She was quite happy with that, so I set off this afternoon to see if there were any left. Yes, there, were. :D:p:D Bought three Smartie Button eggs.
    We will see them at some point, in the garden, over the Easter weekend. Unfortunately, the beautiful weather will be over by then. Chilly again. Right now it is heavenly.
    The other grandparents are visiting on Good Friday. They intend to break the rules and go indoors. :# We are goodie goodies. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💛😊🌞