Mediterranean diet?

Has anyone tried the Mediterranean diet? My gastro Dr. recommended that type of diet. I have started reading about it and wondered if anyone had tried it and what they thought?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I don't strictly follow it, but i've seen a bunch of discussions on it here. If you use the search option, you'll find some of them.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I loosely follow the MIND diet, which is a hybrid of the Mediterranian and DASH diets (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension - designed by cardiologists). I was doing it for years before finding out it was an actual thing with a name. It's an easy one for me - foods I love - and it makes sense health-wise. The MFP blog did an article on it a while back if you want more info. Should be able to find it with the search function.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    I live in Italy and we eat the Med diet everyday. Here everyone does.

I get the overall concept of the Mediterranean diet, although it still confuses me a bit by how generic it seems, considering each part of the Mediterranean is different. I'm assuming in Italy, for instance, you probably eat a decent amount of pasta, seafood, vegetables ,etc..
    My boyfriend is from a different part of the Mediterranean region (Tunisia), and he seems to thrive off of olives, tuna, harissa, spicy foods, and also things that are clearly have Middle Eastern influences, and halal on top of that.

Anyway, I don't personally eat exactly to the letter of this diet, but I try to get as close as possible.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I live in Italy and we eat the Med diet everyday. Here everyone does.

I get the overall concept of the Mediterranean diet, although it still confuses me a bit by how generic it seems, considering each part of the Mediterranean is different. I'm assuming in Italy, for instance, you probably eat a decent amount of pasta, seafood, vegetables ,etc..
    My boyfriend is from a different part of the Mediterranean region (Tunisia), and he seems to thrive off of olives, tuna, harissa, spicy foods, and also things that are clearly have Middle Eastern influences, and halal on top of that.

Anyway, I don't personally eat exactly to the letter of this diet, but I try to get as close as possible.

This is true. The Mediterranean is vast, with many different countries and eating habits. Several basics are the same. These can be found researching the Med diet UNESCO.
    This means it can be complicated for some because the choices are so many, but that also means that there is something for everyone.

Italy alone has different eating habits from North to South, and East to West. It's a treasure trove of delicious food. Sicily has a lot of influence from Tunisia, for instance, and they use couscous.

I've been here 36 years, and find that it's just what we used to call a balanced meal. There is a little of everything and quality ingredients are the norm.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think the doctor is likely talking about what's often called a healthy eating pattern, and it's a great way of eating, although I think associating it with the foods of the Mediterranean regions can be needlessly confusing (and they are diverse).

Using the healthy eating pattern approach with some Med elements thrown in, it typically means:

For added fat use olive oil vs butter/lard/animal fat, for the most part

Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit (in season is great, but depending on where you live that may not be very Med like)

Eat fatty fish and other seafood and limit other meat. Remember beans/lentils are also a great source of fiber and protein and are good to include in your diet

Eat whole grains vs refined

Don't eat lots of high cal/low nutrient foods with lots of added sugar and/or fat

Generally eat whole foods cooked from scratch

Beyond this, enjoy food and use a variety of herbs and spices for flavoring, drink wine in moderation if that appeals for you and works for you, try to get in regular daily movement and have ways to reduce stress in your life.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    I loosely follow the MIND diet, which is a hybrid of the Mediterranian and DASH diets (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension - designed by cardiologists). I was doing it for years before finding out it was an actual thing with a name. It's an easy one for me - foods I love - and it makes sense health-wise. The MFP blog did an article on it a while back if you want more info. Should be able to find it with the search function.

Thank you, I had no idea there was a name for this!
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    tekwriter wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Mediterranean diet? My gastro Dr. recommended that type of diet. I have started reading about it and wondered if anyone had tried it and what they thought?

Yes, it is excellent and full of nutrition and fiber. Not to mention that there are tons of books out there to help with it. Most you can get free from your library. I found that my calories needed for the day actually matched the serving size recommendations for my body type. Another diet that is very similar is the DASH diet which is basically the same thing but focuses on sodium intake.

I just discovered the MIND diet which is very exciting for me because I don't eat much fish and I don't like to restrict my sauces (which usually puts me over the sodium limit) for vegetables.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Thanks to all of you!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I use to think that Mediterranean diet was unlimited pasta! Well, I was wrong. Just like meat and vegetables.

I'm on keto, and the diet was simply meat and vegetables.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2021
    This is a fairly common question on MFP because there seem to be a lot of doctors recommending it.

I think the confusion comes from the use of the word “diet”. I believe the recommendation is for a way of eating, like what @lemurcat2 described above versus a specific food plan (eat 2 of these, 1 of this, etc).