Daily Potassium

lalabank
lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
Has anyone else focused on getting the daily recommended potassium 2,600-3,400mg per day strictly from food?
It’s been my fun game this week and it’s really challenging. I mean REALLY challenging.
How is anyone hitting this everyday? Any tips?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lots of vegetables and -- because this is often the issue -- make sure you are using entries with the potassium included, as it often is not.

My favorite potassium trick is the fact that coffee has some, however.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I am in this process right now. Can't seem to get there. What are trying?

I've made sweet potatoes, banana chips and I added orange juice back to my diet.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    Has anyone else focused on getting the daily recommended potassium 2,600-3,400mg per day strictly from food?
    It’s been my fun game this week and it’s really challenging. I mean REALLY challenging.

When I was eating the DASH diet, with lots and lots of vegetables, it wasn't that hard (It was hard to meal prep though). When I stopped eating this way it is very hard for me to get it though just food. I tell people that's at least 6 bananas a day worth.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited March 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My favorite potassium trick is the fact that coffee has some, however.

<3<3<3 coffee <3<3<3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Just keep in mind that potassium isn't required to be listed on nutritional labels, and therefore, many foods in the database will not have potassium listed even though it may contain potassium.

My favorite source is potatoes...one medium potato has around 900mg of potassium for around 160 calories...potatoes rock.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Beets avocados
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    If you're relying on MFP for the totals, you're quite probably getting more than it will total up, for reasons others have mentioned. Early on, I spot-checked a couple of my typical days against more complete nutritional sources, and found that I was getting in the right range most days, even though the MFP total looked low.

That kind of spot-check is something you could try, if you've only been considering the MFP total.

I might spot check now and then if something major changes, but mostly I don't worry about it anymore.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Do you have a reliable link I could use?
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    @cwolfman13 I just had a lightening bolt moment- POTATOES!!!!
    @lemurcat2 I’ll have to start logging my coffee!

I figured out that potassium is left out of most foods on MFP and I’m avidly double checking items.

It’s really fun to focus on something other than calories some days.

I was feeling pretty optimistic but I just read that we should be aiming closer to 4,700mg!!! Wowza, challenge accepted.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Do you have a reliable link I could use?

Try USDA search
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Low sodium v-8 juice is a good source as they use potassium chloride in place of the sodium.
  • Thoin
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Beets avocados

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galatica. :D

Sorry, but this reminded me of that scene from The Office.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I add cream of tarter to things, since it has a high potassium content. I treat it like a supplement.
  • parkcherrielee
    parkcherrielee Posts: 1 Member
    I add cream of tarter to things, since it has a high potassium content. I treat it like a supplement.

Never realized how much potassium it has, this is an awesome idea. What things do you add it in? I remember using it when I was younger for baking.
  • Thoin

This says it better then I could:
    Therefore, I suggest that you limit your salt and get more potassium by eating fresh fruits and vegetables. One salt substitute I found on the Internet, Nu-Salt, contains 530 milligrams of potassium in a mere sixth of a teaspoon. That's about the same amount of potassium as in a medium banana, one cup of fresh cantaloupe, a half-cup of raisins, 8 ounces of plain yogurt, one cup of tomato juice, or a cup of cooked beets or Brussels sprouts. These are just a few examples from a long list of high-potassium foods assembled by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. (You can download the list at health.harvard.edu/130.)

— Richard Lee, M.D.
    Associate Editor, Harvard Heart Letter

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/should-i-get-more-potassium-from-a-salt-substitute
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't know if anyone mentioned potatoes but potatoes are loaded with potassium!!!

Updating: I do see ^^^ potatoes! And I'm happy to learn coffee has potassium!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Here's a suggestion many people will hate: Blackstrap molasses, if one chooses the brand carefully, has meaningful amounts of potassium.

Hate why? It's added sugar. 😆

I don't have a major sweet tooth, so my added-sugar intake is normally well under mainstream recommended limits. I do like my oatmeal slightly sweeter, so for me, a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, with 60 calories and 8% DV potassium, 20% DV iron, 8% DV B6, 10% DV magnesium . . . that's a win for both enjoyment and nutrition.

Others' mileage may vary!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion many people will hate: Blackstrap molasses, if one chooses the brand carefully, has meaningful amounts of potassium.

Hate why? It's added sugar. 😆

I don't have a major sweet tooth, so my added-sugar intake is normally well under mainstream recommended limits. I do like my oatmeal slightly sweeter, so for me, a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, with 60 calories and 8% DV potassium, 20% DV iron, 8% DV B6, 10% DV magnesium . . . that's a win for both enjoyment and nutrition.

Others' mileage may vary!

Started doing the same thing 2 weeks ago. Also has iron in it.