Dumbbells advice?

I just ordered 6.8 kgs(15 lbs) dumbbells from Amazon and plan to use them to fitness blender workouts. I'm not new to strength training. I was working out with 3.5 kg per hand dumbbells before and post lockdown I was lifting 10-15 kgs of barbell at the gym. So I just wanna know whether I've made the right decision? Thanks.

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    "Right decision" depends on what your goals are.

I recently bought a set of adjustable dumbbells from CORE Fitness that go from 10 to 50 pounds per hand. I've found them very easy to adjust mid-workout and my goal is to see how strong I can get so I need space-saving set that gives me a large range. They were expensive but they should also last me for a lifetime!

I don't have the space for individual sets and worried I would out-grow them too quickly for the cost. You also should consider shape based on the types of moves you want to do. Some sets are stupidly large for my frame and hand size so I couldn't use those, while also needing to avoid ones that were an odd shape for me to do goblet squats and such.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Depends on you really. I know 3.5 to 6.8 kg would be too big a jump for me, but I'm a small woman. For someone else it might be totally fine.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    How were the 3.5 kg dumbbells feeling? If your answer isn't "a bit too easy", 6.8 kg is likely too much of a jump especially for time based workouts that require you to constantly have them in your hands like fitness blender. But if they do feel overly heavy for fitness blender workouts, you can always just do a set and rep-based workout.
    Barbell weight doesn't translate to dumbbell weight. Being able to barbell bench press 100 lbs doesn't mean you can dumbbell bench press 50lbs on each hand.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    I went back to the gym in Jan and did a lot of weight training but before that during lockdown I was lifting at home with the said weights but I did a workout video last week and 3.5 kgs felt like feathers in my hand
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    At my gym we have classes it's not just come and lift whatever you want. So we didn't do reverse fly coz everyone was just given 1 weight per hand like chest press was done with single hand so i was able to lift 7.5 kgs per hand
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Only you can answer your question.

Yoyr programming, current strength, short and long term goals, etc....will help determine the answer for you.