March 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    There is a lot of variation as to what is considered a trail, and if you're one who is worried about staying upright, you wouldn't have to do any technical trails. It's funny as I'm reading this while getting notifications from the girls from the running club discussing running more in the forest (due to the restrictions) and they're listing off how they prefer the woods as it's easier on their knees, joints/ligaments, mood etc.
    Of course we can run in all sorts of places. Variety can be great, too :) I love seeing all of your pictures and the fun places you get to run.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,028 Member
    @martaindale Nice running and that medal is awesome. Is there a story behind the name of the race?

The lake and adjacent state park are called Possum Kingdom, so in fun ultra racing fashion, this one is Possum's Revenge. The name of the lake and park crack me up though. It doesn't conjure up beautiful images, but it actually looks like a pretty area.

Re: trail running and injuries. I am so careful on trails because I am worried about hurting myself. I have a knee that give me some issues so I don't run very technical trails or do anything that feels even slightly sketchy. Most of the stuff in my area is dirt trail with maybe a few small rocks. I don't go for speed but I find trails to be a nice distraction and a good reason to travel for a race. It is supposed to be good for building strength because it forces muscle recruitment that you don't need on a flat road. That said, if I had joint instability, I might be too nervous to run trails.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Looks like the next Run the World runners will be doing some swimming today!

rp8l71g8myf8.jpg

Swim south and stop in Aurora!!!
  • martaindale
    @Tramboman Great job on your mileage PR! You are so consistent.

@scott6255 @WhatMeRunning I can definitely tell a difference in perceived effort, but I don't see much of a difference in the distribution of my heart rate zones on Garmin over the run, even when I am definitely taking it slower and easier versus when I am doing speed or threshold runs. I have to be going super duper slow or doing run-walk with the family to see a noticeable drop in heart rate out of the upper zone. But, I feel my heart rate is higher during harder perceived effort runs. Someone on here a while back mentioned that their watch has to be pretty tight to get a good HR reading while they are running. This has me wondering if maybe my watch is not really getting a good reading and maybe picking up my cadence.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Since I had the pacemaker put in I have been trying to figure out how to measure my effort other than by feel. I can't really use HR Zones any longer as the PM will determine that I have a requirement and pace my HR to 130-140 (max) even when I am just walking. It also means I can't really use changes in my HR/RHR to determine when I need to rest vs being well rested and ready to go. I was looking also into HRV which seems to be kind of a hot thing these days. It is and has been available on my Apple Watch for quite a while now and I found an interesting app called Training Today that uses the HRV data to determine where you are in your training cycle and when to rest vs push it. Unfortunately I discovered that I cannot use it either as ever since the PM it the HRV has become a pretty flat number so the PM is also impacting it most of the time (makes sense since I am pacing 75-80% of the time).
    So... Does anyone have any other ideas on metrics to use both instead of HR zones and for determining training cycle readiness? Or do I need to just forget all of those and go strictly by how I feel?

that is really interesting. I have no advice but perhaps your dr or cardiologist might? My running heart rate is REALLY high all the time (like 170 all the way to 190 sometimes!) and I imagine if I had a pacemaker I would not be able to run at all.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member

Thank you. Incidentally, where did March go?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,884 Member
    edited March 2021
    @shanaber Nice to run more than you have in a while. You had a lot of activities yesterday. No wonder you were tired. Glad you and Hobbes enjoyed agility.

@Avidkeo Glad the storms weren't worse and that you got your run in around them.

@martaindale Thanks for setting up the April challenge. I hate it when a bug decides to fly in my mouth while running. I can relate.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I think all trails in Phoenix are technical. 🤣

Some downhill portions have scared the *kitten* out of me. I carefully pick my way down those.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @martaindale Thanks for setting us up for April. The Half I run every year is also at Possum Kingdom, but not at the State Park. . It's a road race, not a trail race and it's really nice. PK is only about 40 minutes away from me. We used to go camping there at the State Park every summer when I was growing up.

I think you and @Scott655 need to have a meet-up with @martaindale!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    Where is @katharmonic? Did you get lost in the woods hiking? :'(
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    3/17 - 1.67 mile 31 min easy effort
    3/18 - .98 mile 15 min stamina effort
    3/19 - 1.66 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/22 - 1.67 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/23 - 1.73 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/24 - 1.31 mile 20 min stamina effort
    3/25 - 1.75 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/26 - 1.80 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/28 - 3.45 mile 60 min easy effort
    3/29 - 1.87 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/30 - 1.85 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/21 - 1.42 mile 20 min Stamina effort

March total - 21.16 miles

Hope everyone had a great March! I'll see everyone in the April thread. :sunglasses:
  • martaindale
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @martaindale Thanks for setting us up for April. The Half I run every year is also at Possum Kingdom, but not at the State Park. . It's a road race, not a trail race and it's really nice. PK is only about 40 minutes away from me. We used to go camping there at the State Park every summer when I was growing up.

I think you and @Scott655 need to have a meet-up with @martaindale!

Yeah! It's too bad neither of you are doing this race!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs to get @Scott6255 out on a trail!

As susceptible as I am to leg injuries, that would be a bad idea. I have a hard enough problem on flat roads 😉

But I am in awe of all of who are trail runners!
    I have read that trail running is actually very good for your legs and ankles and helps with strengthening and mobility especially in your ankles. That said I am absolutely terrified of falling and breaking an ankle or otherwise injuring myself so I don't run trails either 😁
    I also have a horrible time running easy even before the PM and injury, my easy runs were always too fast and still felt really hard.

2021 Run the Year Team - LeftRightLeftRepeat 216.07/1256 miles (running and walking)
    Also my team overall passed the 600 mile mark thanks mostly to @eleanorhawkins!!

2021 Planned and Completed Races
    09/11/21 - Surf City Half Marathon (rescheduled)

@shanaber I don't know whether we went back under, RTY always double registers my walks so I have to go in and delete one. But yeah, we rock!

Work is SO busy I can't keep up with forums at all at the moment, miss you guys, sorry!

Funny that you tagged me and I came into a discussion about trail running. My local sports club just opened a trail club, which for some random reason (probably to do with federation licence that includes accident insurance in case I hurt myself doing stupid things in the middle of nowhere and will make race entries (but only trail race entries) cheaper whenever they start again) I went and joined.
    Group training starts on Monday afternoon. I'm terrified, I've seen a photo of the two trainers and they look young and fit. Think I'm going be WAY out of my league. Help! Also, I only ever run first thing in the morning so afternoons may be interesting. Still, I can always not go if I don't like it, right?