Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, March 30, 2021

whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Macros and Micros

Do you have targets for any macro or micro nutrients? If so, what prompted this and how has it impact the way you eat?

Bonus Question: Easter Peeps - - a delightful yearly treat or super gross?

Replies

• whathapnd
    I frequently read the Fitness and Exercise forum on MFP, and there are many discussions about getting enough protein. Once I started paying attention to my own intake, I realized I was frequently low. I now aim for at least 100 grams per day, though it should really be around 140 for me according to the formulas discussed there. Baby steps.

I now try to have at least 35 grams of protein at every meal, and I've discovered having more protein earlier in the day really helps with mood/concentration and sleep. Also, my coat is shinier. 😊 (Seriously, my hair and nails are better.)

I've also started paying attention, to added sugar and try to stay under what MFP has pre-set for me. This means less junk food. Again, I think this has helped with mood/concentration and sleep.

Bonus Question: Peeps are nasty. Cute but nasty.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I try to hit my protein number of .08 grams per lb of body weight. I don’t track it but I’ve crunched the numbers for stuff I usually eat and have taken it into account. It was a bit of an eye opener as I was seriously under eating that target before I checked the details.

Peeps- maybe ok for kids who still have their baby teeth.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,764 Member
    I don’t. I’m into “simple” in a big way, I guess. The only detail I think about (based on family history) is sodium. Even there, at this point it’s about finding flavoring alternatives instead of adding salt rather than actively tracking intake.

When I did the double-tracking, I was under on sodium about half the time, and over half the times.

Peeps? Well, anything made of sugar is good, even if it’s not good for you. They’re pretty squarely on the “not worth the points” list for me. (That seems to be the list that drives my life nowadays.)
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    I've never paid attention to macros, but I do eat a diet high in lean protein and veggies and moderate fruit. Maybe I should take a look sometime 🤷

Peeps, 🤮
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,865 Member
    The only one I really keep an eye on is my sodium. I'll also watch protein, carbs, and sugar.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,164 Member
    I don't pay much attention to macronutrients, beyond a general awareness of what is in my food. With bread, I do pay attention to fiber.

However, I really try hard to get in my five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. If I do that, and I don't sabotage with a lot of *kitten* food, then I am convinced my nutrient intake pretty much takes care of itself.
  • whathapnd
    misterhub wrote: »

However, I really try hard to get in my five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. If I do that, and I don't sabotage with a lot of *kitten* food, then I am convinced my nutrient intake pretty much takes care of itself.

Greg, I'm doing a challenge with a friend right now, and my goals include five servings of fruits and vegetables. I'm embarrassed at how hard that one is for me. I currently have to really focus on it.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,071 Member
    I am measuring and trying to keep up my liquids as well as taking daily flax oil to help with dry eye.
  • linmueller
    podkey wrote: »
    I am measuring and trying to keep up my liquids as well as taking daily flax oil to help with dry eye.

Does the flax oil work? And how much do you take? I take tetracycline for that, and every time I try to go off it (I really hate taking pills) it's clear pretty quickly that I still have a problem.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,865 Member
    I take Flax oil AND Restasis ($$$). Wish they'd hurry up and go generic. Supposed to be 2022.
  • linmueller
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    I take Flax oil AND Restasis ($$$). Wish they'd hurry up and go generic. Supposed to be 2022.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just stick with tetracycline. It's cheap 😜