WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    With all the mammogram talk, it is very interesting to me that the doctors have always gone out of their way to leave while you are getting undressed and dressed and keep you covered everywhere except the spot where they are looking. My husband on the other hand, with his catheter issues - yesterday at the urologist they just say "drop your pants" and he does right in front of them. They are so matter of fact and professional, while I'm sitting in the corner dying, feeling like a stupid 13 year old wanting to giggle while the female NP is teaching him how to insert and remove his own catheter. I am so immature!

Here, the mammogram technician tells you to remove anything you're wearing on top and to step toward the machine. Then she arranges you in the most uncomfortable position possible (but good position for the imaging) and gets you to hold yourself in place or out of the way. 4 different positions & images, and she tells you to put your top back on.

No gowns. No being coy about it.

I have had precancer twice in my uterus and surrounding areas. The first time (2015) they had to remove and immense polyp from my uterus, the second time (2017) it was a polyp, D&C, and cancer treatment. Those were surgeries, but before the surgeries came the GP test, the internal ultrasound, and the gynaecologic-oncologist. Plus all that again every 6 months for follow-ups. I got over the whole shyness factor pretty quickly ... especially when you know that during the surgeries there's a whole team of people looking up there.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    k11y8bs6n66f.png

Lots of cycling this morning!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3o:)>:)
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    👋❤️👋.Good morning and happy April!!
    Debby in Va
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline twice, 41 mins vacuuming, 38 mins cleaning.
    Bonus: today: one firehall email response, playtraining sessions..
    Get to do: rx, take BP, dogs to powerline, chiro, Shadow to dog group, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, ongoing: fire district: bake cookies for firehall, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), 2nd week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, bank to turn in pennies,
    Active April:
    2: Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do: grateful for yesterday’s cleaning frenzy in lieu of strength training. Need to get in spa Saturday before Chiro.
    3: Spend as much time as possible outdoors: pick up more sticks and don’t wimp out on dog group!

Lisa, love your stance on gopher mama vs fruit trees, and their likely first tasters. ;) Really :love: your man child’s sense of humor and drama, just hope rubber ducky a la orange is not on the menu…
    Allie what Katla said about that “friendly” poke in the arm. And she’s traveling across and up the continent before her 2nd jab? :noway:
    Katla glad for the excellent companionship, and the extra bathroom :laugh:
    Barbie I’m going to try dancing with a mask on after my 2nd jab has “ripened” for two weeks. I just miss it so much.
    Rebecca that was exactly my mental image of you and your boa :devil:
    Tracey decades ago I, too, was adamant about punctuation. Drove my co-workers nuts, until one time a misplaced comma caused one embarrassment in a stakeholders’ meeting. When she came out she said: “OK, now I get it. What a difference a comma can make.” Wish I could remember the exact context ;)
    Pat C thanks for asking Allie about Discovery +, I’ve been considering it too, but alas would want to watch it on a regular, not internet-connected TV.
    Karen, maybe mildew and raccoons are the universe’s ways of making it easier for you to let stuff go? I’m starting to think the same of corroded copper :cry:
    Kay better trying to suppress giggles, than “eeeuuuwww!” ;)

Joe was gone most of the day to Medford for eye surgeon appointment. Relished the time alone at home by play training with the dogs, taking them down the drive twice, vacuuming and other cleaning. Cooked and enjoyed the lamb chops. Then when he finally got home, was as excited as the dogs to see him. Think he was glad too, he chatted more last night than he has in the past month. :heart:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 2, weigh/wii: 2/0/0; steps>5627=5757 vits=2, log=2, CI<CO=2, CI<250<CO=2, Tumble=4 Shadow=4 mfp=2 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=2.67 packwalk=, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4: 4/11: 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=1 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    I’m starting to think the same of corroded copper :cry:
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

Have you tried selling the copper? I think it's still reasonably valuable.

M in Oz
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    “ BARBARA, Pat C thanks for asking Allie about Discovery +, I’ve been considering it too, but alas would want to watch it on a regular, not internet-connected TV”
    Thanks to Allie for her straight answer about Discovery TV.Have talked to DH about it & we are on the same page as Barbara,in that we’d only be interested if the pic was on our TV. He hates small screen anything.BIL told us,
    It was Sis’s choice to get it,but he prefers regular channels.
    Our TV is just 2 yrs old,so for now,we’ll stay with it.

Going to do some baking today,just an apple pie,then make a small veggie tray.DD will be here,bringing Cole slaw & deviled eggs,so Easter will be an easy day.More time just to visit before she is back to work,Monday. We’ll be on the phone with DD in NC too.Love holidays when we can just enjoy our family. Hope you all have a good with your loved ones.
    Pat C OHIO
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Barbara- Oregon Coastie- Trudy was 14 days out from her 2nd shot so she followed protocols..
    Our Uconn girls basketball team got eliminated at the final 4,they have won it at least 12 times..
    Taking Dan to work today 9-1 im glad im around to take him .
    It is still Winter temps here outside is 24 degrees..brrrrr
  • Machka9
    edited April 2021
    Interesting article about seeing colour. It's something I've wondered. When I look at something and say, "That's red." and you agree, "Yes, that's red." are we looking at two different colours? After all, when we teach children colours, we do so by pointing at the ball and saying, "Green ball" and pointing at the block and saying "Red block" and so children learn what we want them to learn. It's just as easy to point at the green ball and say, "Blue ball" and the child will call it blue. Keep it up and the child will be convinced that what we see as green is called blue.

My husband loses his words when he gets stressed, but I've also noticed that he gets colours wrong quite frequently. I'm trying to make a note of the errors to see if there's a pattern and there does seem to be some consistencies. He will often call something that is red and/or orange blue or green and vice versa. But he'll sometimes switch white and blue. It's interesting ... not sure what it means.

Do You See Red Like I See Red?
    https://www.snopes.com/news/2021/02/05/do-you-see-red-like-i-see-red/

So with that, I'll ask you a question about colour ...

Not just, what is your favourite colour but what is your favourite colour scheme, palette or range of colours?

I use this site to introduce colour to my posts:
    https://www.color-hex.com/color-palettes/

A blue-green colour.

Bright pink.

Lime green.

So if you'd like, have a look at the palette examples and see if there's something you really like. :)
    Or maybe you just generally prefer cool colours or warm colours.
    Or maybe neutrals are your thing.
    Or maybe it changes depending on where the colours are.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Barbara • What copper? Are you talking about copper parts of your old stove, or something else? <3

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Mammograms here are as comfortable and friendly as possible. There's a small changing room where the tech gives you a cotton cape that opens in the front. It comes from a heated container so it is warm when you put it on. The changing room opens into the imaging room where you sit in a chair while the tech asks a few questions before the imaging. I like the cape for warmth, not modesty. I am always cold. Results come online in about 24 hours and in the mail a few days later.

:) Yesterday I talked to a woman in my line dance class who also plays Bingo at the same venture. She heard that Bingo will probably not start until June when the facility has all their protocols in place.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited April 2021
    DH and I always disagree about what is green and what is blue when it's in between. :D
    For clothes I like vibrant jewel colours with black. Pastels do suit me, but I rarely wear them. White in the summer.
    For decoration I like neutrals, greys, or blues with splashes of brights as a contrast and accent. Muddy pinks also.
    I get depressed around beige and brown. I look sick in muddy greens and mustards.
    I like black, but only if I've got my face on and a bit of sparkle.

Cooking slow roasted shoulder of lamb for tonight. Lots of veg - parsnips, carrots, leeks, potatoes.

Julie - I don't like all the distracting backgrounds. I preferred it when he was just in his bedroom. Rather sweet. :p I still listen every day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💛😊💙
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Thanks Barbie. You’re such a godsend.
    What do you think the government (or hackers) are reading or listening to randomly in your life ?
    I just assume someone can be ‘listening’ to anything you put on the web.
    Short on time currently, so skim reading when I can.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Internet connected TV-If you want to watch it on a regular TV, it's only possible if you have an HDMI slot on the TV (and your computer) or some other way to connect it to a computer or tablet. If your TV is 10 years old or newer (or somewhere in that range), it should have that. If you do, just buy an HDMI cable and plug it into your computer and you can watch anything on the internet on the TV. You would just change the display of the computer as if you were doing a presentation on a screen. If you just have a tablet, you'd need an adapter from the tablet to and HDMI connector, as well as the cable. You can get Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku boxes, etc. and watch all kinds of other things too, but your TV can't be too old. That's about the limit of my knowledge on the topic. Just know it might be possible, depending on your equipment and the inconvenience of attaching your computer whenever you want to watch something. The inconvenience outweighs my desire to watch on a big screen, but not the mister's, so he handles that.

My mammo experience has been similar to Barbie's. I like the gown for warmth. They keep those rooms on the cool side.

The county is opening up to indoor entertainment in a couple of weeks, but it requires a negative test or vaccine to get in. Capacity will be limited too. I'm sure masks will be required. I assumed that vaccination card would come in handy sooner than later.

The mister is away for another week. It's so quiet and tidy here. :smiley:

Tina in CA

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    woke up early about 6:30 with one of the cats wheezing- she has been a little lithargic but hoped it was just allergies- now, waiting until the vet opens to make an appointment to take her in. Husband said he isn't ready to loose another pet. She is our deaf girl and is very attached to him and really bonded with her twin brother. 15 more min. to wait until they open.
    I MAY attempt to make some sourdough bread- first time and totally CLUELESS- I was given a jar of starter. Need to find out do I feed it today and use tomorrow or can I use some of the starter to make bread today and then after taking out what I need, then do I feed it, not sure how much- I really need to read up on this.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA