What's on your mind today?

RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
edited March 2021 in Social Groups
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Three days ago, I went shopping for new shoes for the treadmill and picked up a pair of New Balance. The day before that, I had a sharp pain in the ball of my foot occasionally when I step down on it. I tried to get on the treadmill the past two days, but I get that pain shortly after starting. I feel like a kid waiting so I can go play on the treadmill with my new shoes! :)

I am hoping that the pain in my foot is just due to starting to be active again on the treadmill, and it will pass shortly. I will not admit that I am old, because well - I don't feel old. However, I will admit that I am not in my 20s and I am currently out of shape. I am taking it easy the past few days until the pain stops.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Happy Friday!
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    What's on my mind? I need to quit drinking beer! I know it's why I cannot lose the weight. I cannot find the motivation to stop. Also, I go through phases with weight loss. I do well, then give up and lose motivation. It is so hard to lose weight....:(
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,960 Member
    Jane2285 wrote: »
    What's on my mind? I need to quit drinking beer! I know it's why I cannot lose the weight. I cannot find the motivation to stop. Also, I go through phases with weight loss. I do well, then give up and lose motivation. It is so hard to lose weight....:(

@Jane2285
    I’m a big proponent of discovering your “Big Why”! Ask yourself “Why do I want to lose weight?”
    Then as yourself why you want (your answer).
    Repeat the chain until you get to a reason that is SO compelling, you just know you’ve hit paydirt, your own, personal, motivational gold mine!

Note: You may not get to it the first time you try. Let your subconscious mull it over a day or two.

Example:
    Why do I want to lose weight?
    So I’ll be healthier
    Why do I want to be healthier?
    So I’ll live longer
    Why live longer
    So I can spend as much time as possible with husband/son
    Why do you want to spend as much time as possible..
    So I can have fun experiences, love & be loved

So my Big Why (which has sustained my 75lb weight loss (32 months) and maintenance (31 months) is:

❤️To live as actively as possible as long as possible with my husband & son. ❤️

Keep going until you hit the one that fills you with radiant happiness & deep perspective.

The whole secret is elevating the power of the long term benefits so they are greater than the verrrry short dopamine hit of the temporary food.

I hope this helps

Warmly,
    Maddie💕
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you! That is so helpful. I think discovering the why is going to be paramount. If I were to think about it, my process would be something like this:

Why do you want to lose weight?
    To gain self-confidence, stamina for mountain biking/running, and to be a healthy example for my kids and future clients.

Why do you want to gain self-confidence? Stamina? Healthy example?
    So my daughters and son grow up having confidence in themselves too. To see that they should love who they are, and that being healthy is important. Stamina? I love mountain biking and running and want to get better. I wnat to be able to keep up with my husband and make new friends that bike/run. Right now, I'm on the slow side and feel embarassed at times. Healthy example? Well, my kids need to be healthy, and I'm opening a practice centered around physical activity and holistic care, I better practice what I preach.

Why do you want all those things?
    To be the healthiest version of myself for my family, friends, and clients who look to me for that support. I must support myself, to support them.

What do you think?
  • Katiecan2021
    Katiecan2021 Posts: 266 Member
    @Jane2285 - if beer is your downfall have you tried any alcohol free beers recently? They are so much better than they used to be. I have one or two every night, it’s enough of a habit replacement to reduce the amount of alocohol I consume massively. I have found it super useful because it’s still a nice way to go from day to evening but way less calories! I also quit drinking any alcohol at all for a month which was a very useful habit reset. I love wine but was having it every night - not good.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Jane2285 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you! That is so helpful. I think discovering the why is going to be paramount. If I were to think about it, my process would be something like this:

Why do you want to lose weight?
    To gain self-confidence, stamina for mountain biking/running, and to be a healthy example for my kids and future clients.

Why do you want to gain self-confidence? Stamina? Healthy example?
    So my daughters and son grow up having confidence in themselves too. To see that they should love who they are, and that being healthy is important. Stamina? I love mountain biking and running and want to get better. I wnat to be able to keep up with my husband and make new friends that bike/run. Right now, I'm on the slow side and feel embarassed at times. Healthy example? Well, my kids need to be healthy, and I'm opening a practice centered around physical activity and holistic care, I better practice what I preach.

Why do you want all those things?
    To be the healthiest version of myself for my family, friends, and clients who look to me for that support. I must support myself, to support them.

What do you think?

@Jane2285 cool!!

Let’s split them into 3 & chain down all three, paying attention to which parts of each feel most motivating & connected to you...!

Self-Confidence:
    1. “So my daughters and son grow up having confidence in themselves too.”

I think you are saying “I want to model self-confidence so my children will have that as an example.”

Let’s dig even deeper:
    Why do you want them to be self-confident?

Why do you want them to love themselves?

What about you? How will more self/confidence improve your life?

Why is it important? How will your life be different?

How will loving yourself?
    Why is it important? How will your life be different?

2. Stamina
    I also hear speed. Wanting to be with your husband.
    Why?
    Do you want more togetherness?
    Do you miss out on banter with him & friends?
    Feel less than?

And I hear making new, active friends.

(Side note: I’ve dealt with this as a long distance biker & on hikes with a very athletic husband. We began having more rides/hikes at my speed for “togetherness” and then other times he’d walk at my pace (also warming up) before going on his long fast run while I continued on my walk, having had time to connect.)
    Perhaps brainstorm ways you can ride/run with new friends who are at a similar level!?

3. Healthy example for your kids- much like #1.
    And for your clients.
    Why?
    So they trust you?
    You get more clients & more income?
    To boost your self-confidence in your profession.

1&3 are about you being an example for others.
    2 is about having more companionship while pursuing athletic activities you love.

I’d focus on what lights YOU up! !!!
    Being an example?
    Being able to hit your fitness goals?
    Making new athletic friends?
    Boosting self-confidence?
    Which makes you feel the most joy.

Begin with “I want to ...

I want to feel empowered?
    I want to feel I’m a great mom?
    I want to optimize my health?
    I want to be able to exercise with my beloved husband?
    I want to attract clients who respect what I’ve accomplished?

What would make YOU most inspired to make lifelong changes??

Hugs,
    Maddie💕
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @Jane2285
    Also, this can take a few days to a couple of weeks as you reflect & even more ideas bubble up. It’s definitely worth the time to figure out your ultra compelling Big Why.

Popping mine up in my head at times of more food challenges has been a Key to my weight loss & maintaining.

I think it’s the most important thing I did on this journey. It always prevents me from going “off the rails.”

For the beer, have you tried pre-logging a daily beer each day?
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,211 Member
    @KCJen I had that stabbing pain in my right foot about a year ago...doc said it was metatarsalgia. He said theres lots of causes from being overweight (duh...lol) to poorly fitted shoes. I iced it and heated it for about a week. It took a while for it to be completely gone but the ice/heat sure helped!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    well totally off track but....

I do have a funny story for the ones who have been here a few months. Remember the whole "Fraudulent Unemployment claim" thing? Someone put in using my name and I got all the documents sent to me. Well I did absolutely EVERYTHING I could think of including printing out all the forms and sending them physically to the fraud department and creating a police report. No one from the police department or the TEC contacted me at all in any form. Well actually that's not quite true. I got a letter from them last week asking me to verify my identity if I still wanted money. It basically said if I did not want to claim I should do all the forms (which I already did). There was a place to verify your identity with them in the letter but it was most definite that if you DID not file a claim you should NOT do it. So I did nothing last week.

Yesterday I got another letter. They were letting me know they had denied my claim!!! OHMYGAWD... It was like the twilight zone. They said because I had not proven who I was they weren't sending money. duh. It also gave me a method to fight it if I wanted the money. seriously. No mention of the fraud or my calls/emails/forms/letter. Just a form letter denying my claim like I should be unhappy with it.

:scream:
  • oh_jackie
    oh_jackie Posts: 429 Member
    @SummerSkier Sounds Kafkaesque at this point :( I hope they will get back to you about the fraud and that you can leave this ordeal behind you 🍀
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    @KCJen - two things that helped me with foot pain when I started running. I’m not sure if our foot pain has the same root cause, but some things to consider 😊

1. If you haven’t already - go to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes. I can’t tell you what a difference this made for me and it also helped me realize I was wearing size 10 sneakers and needed 10.5s 🤦🏻‍♀️. It is more expensive to buy in store but they'll check your gait and ensure you’re in a shoe that compensates for how your heel strikes the ground and any pronation. Once you know what shoe/s is/are for you you can get them cheaper elsewhere if you decide to. Superfeet insoles will also help tailor your shoe fit it you (running store can also help with these). You may already know all of this and have done it and if so, just ignore me. Lol.

2. A spiked foot massage ball I roll my foot on when sitting at my desk at work to massage my poor poor feet. Even if this doesn’t help the pain it’s very relaxing. Lol.

Hope your foot feels better! ❤️
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Questions for the ladies of UAC... where does everyone get their workout apparel? As I go down sizes I want good quality running gear but I don’t want to pay insanely high prices for something I hopefully won’t fit in 6 months down the road that I’ll just soak with sweat. I love Athleta as much as the next girl, but I’m not paying those prices. Lol. Suggestions for good quality, affordable attire that won’t unravel after three washes? Right not most of my stuff is old navy (falls apart in 3 washes) or Fabletics (pricey and also falls apart - I’ve had 3 bras break on me putting them on that we’re actually too big - the “metal” piece linking the straps snapped). I’d also love suggestions for stuff that wicks well, as I’m def not one of those girls that merely “glistens” when she runs in 85 degree weather. 😅😅😅

Thanks ❤️
  • oh_jackie
    @mshawski I am usually not a fan of fast fashion brands, but am pleasantly surprised by the quality of H&M Sport for running shorts (the kind with a narrow and loose layer if that makes sense) and yoga sets. :) Also Decathlon (not sure if it is sold in the US) and I've heard good things about Uniqlo Airism, but have never tried it myself. :)
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    #Sleeplessness/ #insomnia I've never had any problems with sleep until Covid-19. My kids used to say I could sleep anywhere, any time. True. I never needed much sleep.
    I now struggle with insomnia. I go to sleep as late as I can manage, 11.00, 12.00, 1am. I wake up at 3am, 4am, cannot get back to sleep again. I'd be happy to sleep until 6am ...
    I think it's a lot to do with Covid-19 restrictions. There is very little I can do now that I do normally. Help, anyone?
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,989 Member
    @KCJen hope the pain gets better soon!

@Jane2285 the fact ur self aware is the 1st step!!! Hubby use to drink alot of beers every night he started by replacing full strengths with light beer then slowly over a long time started reducing amount of days he drinks. Hes now down to a approx 4 beers every week and a half. He also replaced his drinking with a hobby. Good luck with it. Xox

@SummerSkier wow wat a nightmare!

@Mshawski im not sure of they hve cotton on were u are but i find the leggings to be comfy and affordable.

@Oh Chinkiri how frustrating for u! Wen i had major issues sleeping it was due to stress and over thinking. U mentioned u think its cos of restrictions. Do u think the restrictions may be stressing u out?
  • donna25trinity
    Interested to hear ways to measure inches lost and also body fat lost. Are there scales u can get that do this or do u guys use a measuring tape?? Xox
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    @mshawski
    I love "Shock Absorber" bra. I have one at least for 7 years now. And still intact in spite of thousands washing. X-Bionic is also very good. I checked for Athleta. Looks very good. They have some very nice colours. I would buy some leggings from them. Unfortunately they don't deliver to Europe. On the other hand I have enough of this stuff 🙂
  • oh_jackie
    @donna25trinity I use a measuring tape, bought a caliper, but I'm too lazy to find the correct spots to pinch😂
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    @oh_jackie Yes, Covid-19 restrictions not helping. I was very active before, seeing friends, going to theatre, cinema, for walks, etc. I am now quite restricted and I think my sleep patterns suffer...
  • donna25trinity
    edited April 2021
    @Chinkiri those restrictions sound difficult and its been going on for so long now too! Must be very hard and exhausting for u! Wen i was over thinking and stressed there was honestly nothing i cld do to prevent the insomnia i tried everything it was frustrating. The only thing that worked for me was the change in situation! I really feel for u and im sorry u are going thru this! Hopefully restrictions ease up in the near future and u get ur beauty sleep! Xo