Discouraged on What To Do With My Body. Advice?

I'm 6'6 and use to be obese, weighing around 315 pounds over three years ago. I was overweight my whole life, and did not exercise as much as I should have been, and ate crap all day.

I achieved my lowest weight possible at the end of 2017 weighing 205 pounds, but noticed I still had a good amount of body fat on me. That's because I restricted my calories like crazy, and only did cardio 2-3 times a week. That changed around February of 2018 when I focused on lifting weights (at the time only dbs and a single bar), and eating slightly more as well.

Now I have been lifting consistently since then and currently on a 6 day, PPL split. I focus on compound lifts targeting my major muscle groups. The past couple months, I have also gotten slightly stronger every workout after stalling for quite some time.

The last three years I also have ate a very quality diet and hardly has cheat meals or went of course.

This past year, I got sick of still feeling fat and soft as I never got below 205 or above 220, so I cut past 200 and got to a lowest of 186 on the scale. I am currently around 190 right now, but I feel like I still have too much body fat on me though, and was wondering if I cut down further slowly if I would look any better.

Hard to tell what to do with this loose skin from my weight loss and fat at times. Also wonder what my BF% even is, as my goal is to just look tighter and have that much lower :|

Pictures: img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/so/swq1x9qc6n8h.jpeg[/img]
byg1ybfgr22q.jpeg
6hg9ranvmp2z.jpeg
5odq5yrdyzon.jpeg
2pjpthtpjz1f.jpeg

Replies

• joshjordan127
    joshjordan127 Posts: 6 Member
    When it comes to the strength aspect, have you ever tried an actual program? Talking like starting strength or something similar. It sounds like you've been cutting pretty severely which would impact strength gains. I mean in half a foot shorter than you and I'm comfortable at 190.
  • mdrax5
    mdrax5 Posts: 20 Member
    When it comes to the strength aspect, have you ever tried an actual program? Talking like starting strength or something similar. It sounds like you've been cutting pretty severely which would impact strength gains. I mean in half a foot shorter than you and I'm comfortable at 190.

I have been on an actual, basic program with a set schedule and lift selection since September. Was getting slightly stronger.
  • mdrax5
    I think you look lean, with some loose skin.

What is your calorie goal per day? How much protein are you getting?

My calorie goal is usually around 2400-2600, but I do have dinner with parents on the weekend which leads to me maintaining 190-193 the past 4 months. I also have been getting at the minimum 200 grams of protein every day for years now, so that has never been lacking.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    mdrax5 wrote: »

I have been on an actual, basic program with a set schedule and lift selection since September. Was getting slightly stronger.

Which program?
  • mdrax5
    usmcmp wrote: »

Which program?

Basically just a variation Jeremy Ethier's PPL. Basic compounds each day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

Which program?

Basically just a variation Jeremy Ethier's PPL. Basic compounds each day.

I had to look this one up. I'm a bit surprised at some of his exercise selections (glute ham raise which few gyms have rather than deadlifts). If you're making progress and continuing to add volume that's great. Adding lean mass takes time. I would encourage you to consider either changing exercise selection from time to time or moving to another program with different exercises for a cycle.
  • mdrax5
    sijomial wrote: »
    Look at the vascularity in your arms, how your clavicles stand out, your ribs, how you have some visible muscle separation even though you don't have a lot of muscle mass - you aren't nearly as fat as you think you are.
    You need to try to look past the loose skin.

Agree with the above that cutting weight further would not be in your best interests. You would look quite different with a bit more chest and shoulder muscle in particular.

Thank you, and usmcmp. I think I will make sure I am continuing to get stronger while maintaining or gaining slightly then, like I have been so far this year. Hard to tell with my body at times what to do since I feel so pudgy in my torso and upper legs, yet so skinny on my limbs 😕
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    A different program to consider?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    OP you genuinely don’t look like you have any fat to lose. I see someone lean with loose skin - no squishy fat in sight. Is it possible that your view of yourself hasn’t caught up with your weight loss? That can be a weird thing to get your head around if you’ve been a lot heavier for a while.
  • mdrax5
    OP you genuinely don’t look like you have any fat to lose. I see someone lean with loose skin - no squishy fat in sight. Is it possible that your view of yourself hasn’t caught up with your weight loss? That can be a weird thing to get your head around if you’ve been a lot heavier for a while.

Very well could be, but I do still feel squishy fat and in my lower body. Love handles and upper abs are probably the most, but then again it could just feel like a lot due to low muscle mass and the loose skin.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I can’t see any love handles. I can’t see any flab in the upper abs. Or anywhere else. I do see loose skin.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Maybe a more objective measure might've in order, Bodpod or DEXA?
  • mdrax5

This - I don’t see any excessive fat on you. It’s normal for humans to have some fat, it helps them function properly. If you see your torso as pudgy I definitely feel like you have some body dysmorphia, since to me you appear too skinny through the torso. I feel like no one else would call your torso pudgy, which is a sign either that you use that word in a different way from other people, or you aren’t viewing yourself as others view you.

I lost 125 lbs in 2017, and while my loose skin tightened for a couple of years after, it seems to be pretty much where it’s going to be now, which matches what other large losers have said on the forums - tightening is pretty much done after four years. So your lower belly is probably going to stay the way it currently is, more or less, unless you were considering surgery. To me your loose skin looks okay and just pulling your pants up a little would conceal it.

At this point what you need is muscle, and cutting isn’t going to help you achieve it. I realize that putting on weight can feel terrifying to someone who was previously obese. There are a few other men on the forums who have dealt with this, hoping some of them will stop by!

Thank you so much! I have definitely decided to continue adding strength and gain weight slowly, since gaining muscle at my height and with my genetics will take a very long time. I always thought I would look better lighter, but I absolutely need more mass to help with my overall look
  • mdrax5

I have thought about that for sure, but I have heard loose skin skews those numbers a bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

I have thought about that for sure, but I have heard loose skin skews those numbers a bit.

I don't think BodPod would be a good choice for you, even body hair can throw the numbers out and it's not that highly thought of in terms of accuracy either.
    More like silver standard compared to gold standard of DEXA or hydrostatic testing.
    BodPod is popular to a degree as doesn't require a skilled operative and is completely non-invasive, plus inexpensive to operate.

TBH tracking tape measurements of arms, legs and chest is a damn sight cheaper!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I think you look lean, with some loose skin.

What is your calorie goal per day? How much protein are you getting?

This ^^

I was just about to ask how much protein do you eat?