WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    7ehmmi3nngir.png

The TV didn't come on until about 7 pm. :)

Machka in Oz

I love not having the TV on. It hasn't been on since last Tuesday evening. I need to work on less computer and phone screen time.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Dr Katie - I can really empathise with you and your DH. Mine has to get up many times a night to dribble out. At least he now sits down after his terrible fall last July. Plus, he is wheezy in bed. He is thoroughly fed up with it. :s

We had a great time in the garden with the grandchildren. Lots of noise and arguments and a very annoying dog, but it felt almost like normal. Edie had a big sulk and then poured water over her head. :p We were served hot cross buns and tea.
    DH actually said he wouldn't mind booking a cruise for next spring! Yippee!
    I discussed my LPA and the cleaner's price hike. All good.

Now to settle down for dinner, Antiques Roadshow and Midsomer Murders.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Walking home we saw people meeting up in groups of socially distanced six in their front gardens. One or two were clutching a glass of wine.
    Lovely weather today, bright sunshine, even if a bit chilly in the shade.
    Hope springs up. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Debbie, I'm so sorry about your kitty. We do love our fur babies so.

Rebecca, in a spoiler since it's kind of TMI.
    we've been to the ER and the Urologist. He had a catheter at first. Now he is doing something called intermittent self-catheterizing. He does what he can then caths to finish it up. He can stop cathing when the majority is coming out on its own. They also gave him Flomax (I think that's the right drug) to help. My guess (from reading Dr. Google) is that there's some prostate surgery in his future. Part of the joys of getting old.

It will be sad to go to the Easter service by myself. At least the sunrise service is still virtual, so we can watch it together at home in our sunroom, which faces east. Last year, when we weren't meeting at all, we went for a walk for our sunrise service, but it is too cold this year. I am too wimpy. I have to wait on the sun to come out. The grandkids are coming up to the farm to hide eggs. I'll go up there, but Dave will probably stay home from that, too.

thank you.

I will be going to Easter service(first one in over 6 months) by myself. I would like my husband to go with me but not going to push it. He hasn't had his second shot, getting it Tuesday, and the last time we went they were not doing what they should-only 3 people had masks on besides us, they were sitting too close together. So, we stopped going. We went when church first opened up, wearing our masks when there were fewer people and they sat every other pew, more people coming now so we shall see how it goes. They are even doing a fried chicken pot luck after service this morning. I will not be staying.
    I will come home and cook a ham, mac and cheese, asparagus and deviled eggs.

Happy Easter Ladies
    and thanks again for all of the messages.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    7ehmmi3nngir.png

The TV didn't come on until about 7 pm. :)

Machka in Oz

I love not having the TV on. It hasn't been on since last Tuesday evening. I need to work on less computer and phone screen time.

Tina in CA

I enjoy some time with the tv off but not almost a whole week. My husband turns a tv on as soon as he gets up and falls asleep with one on. What ever room he is in, immediately the tv is turned on. He even turned the kitchen one on while he did the dishes which took only 10 min. I am on my computer too much- need to work on that for sure.
    He is on his phone, laptop and has tv on all at once all the time. Need to get him out walking with me a little more often. If I have the tv off in the living room while I am on my computer, he will walk in the room and ask, don't I want the tv on?, No, enjoying the quiet. During the day the daycare girl watches her shows so in the evenings I enjoy quiet.
    Debbie
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    REbecca- That Easter pic of Athena, from last year, is absolutely darling! Her little lips puckered! Oooooooo! :*

She does has quite the rose bud lips. I fear when I finally do get to see her, I will just stare at her, looking at all her cuteness!👑😋😁🙃😜💕
  • Whidislander
    Debbie, I am so sorry for the passing of your sweet deaf cat.🙏🙏🙏. Know that we are all with you and husband, during this difficult time.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    drkatiebug oh ok, I understand now, it wasn't that he wasn't, just the catheter was assisting. Hugs friend!
    Husband has had many, and he was not happy when they were in!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2021
    madlyncarr wrote: »
    good evening all I need help. I have arthritis in my hip so it's hard to work out but I do try. I have gained 20 lbs since the pandemic and really I'm sick of looking at myself, and hearing my doctor say you need to lose weight. so I'm giving this another chance. I was doing over 400 min a week now I barely do 150. can someone help me get started?

@MadlynCarr -I feel you. Congratulations for being ready to do something! You have made the first step! First: arthritis needs exercise. To help us hurt less, move more. Even a tiny bit of exercise can be our start. Due to medical issue, I start with 600 steps as a goal. I know this is pitiful, but I am happy to be able to walk this far:-). I cannot do this everyday, but each day I try to add something. So 600 steps is a win, 601 is even better! No joke:-). And re: weight loss-what we eat is important, too. Since February 22, I have lost 9.6lbs. No sugar/processed food is the goal, but there have been a few slips along the way. I am not concentrating on what I cannot have, but instead I focus on what I need to eat more of---protein, leafy veg, water. It has made all the difference. Still have 30 pounds to reach my main goal, but I celebrate the small ones-every five pounds.(Not with 'food', just a "Yay me!", but a small 'treat like new nail polish, or a larger one, like a new accessory, would be awesome!) I don't beat myself up when I slip either: just keep going. Wishing you all of the best! Please keep us posted on your progress!!!
  • Whidislander
    Hello everyone....I'm fairly new to using this app. I'm currently making some changes in my life but need some encouragement and help on making better food choices. Trying hard to change my mindset into a more positive one Been having some boughts of insomnia, with all the stress the past couple weeks. Looking forward to easing the stress hopefully before the end of the month...wish me luck and please send any suggestions my way!!!
    Lynette.. FL

Welcome Lynette from Florida! This a great band of ladies from all phases of their weight journeys. Many has gotten to their goal weight, yet continue on, because even the journey of maintenance needs encouragement. We talk about our daily lives, weight loss seems the least of our worries, yet checking in, puts us in a good mood to tackle our daily activities. At least I know it does for me.

Some tips for me has been to "make a bed of veggies" for my meal to sit on. Whether it be pasta, or ramen, my go to is fresh spinach. I normally just spritz it with water, and put in microwave for a few seconds just to wilt it, then season it with some Italian dressing. Then put my pasta over. Its an easy way to pump up your meal. With ramen I just put it in a bowl, plain, and chopped up. Pouring the hot noodles and soup is enough to wilt it. When thinking about what I want to eat, I always concentrate on the protein first, then veggie, and then carbs to make it interesting. So like for a great simple meal, its some kielbasa sausage cut up, then zucchini and spinach, and then some wild rice, or potatoes. You got this!

Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited April 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: rx, dogs to powerline, chiro, Shadow to dog group
    Bonus: Freddie’s, Farmers’ market.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livetream church, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, Monday: Tire swap, call Patel’s office re: Joe’s Interpath labs not approved by medicare. Was there some coding error between Dr.’s office and lab? If not, were tests medically necessary? Tuesday: county planning office neighbor’s plans, ongoing: fire district: bake cookies for firehall, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), 2nd week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, bank to turn in pennies,
    Active April:
    4: Day free from TV or screens and get moving instead: Oops well that’s already moot.

Machka and Karen, they were copper plated decorative items. Donated all but one little night light lantern I’ve had for 60 or 65 years. Just couldn’t let it go, snatched it back from the box at the very door of the thrift shop. ;} Do you know if it's possible to replate?

Machka Your color articles reminded me of a Brain Games episode that demonstrated how females generally were able to distinguidh between more shades of the same color than males. Interesting review of a book on how language “colors” what we see:
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/jun/12/language-glass-colour-guy-deutscher. OMG 1816 pages of color palettes???
    Pat C is your 2 years new TV internet connected? Our TV is much much older ;)
    Heather and Kelly, Joe called his aqua truck “green” while I insisted it was “blue” :laugh:
    Tina thanks so much for the TV info. WAY too inconvenient to hook either of our laptops to either of our TVs. Could I get some kind of wireless HDMI device to watch on my older TV? Joe’s new TV is not currently hooked up to the internet, which may be why he can’t set up his new sound bar. It’s “Roku” ready, is Roku a wireless device for connecting to the internet, or a subscription service, or??? Many many thanks!
    Rebecca oh how I’d love to sit with you, sip, and hear your SCA and nature camp stories!
    Kay when I was threatened with catheterization, I sat on the pot with the shower running, my hand in the warm water filled sink, and hummed. No harm in trying?
    Debbie :cry: ((hugs)) to you and your DH. Words fail.
    Rori Thank you for checking in. Keeping you and yours in prayers.
    Kim you and Annie are in very hard places with your moms. :cry:
    Tracey oh, to go with Joe to a flea market would be the best thing! Know I’m not supposed to covet, but…
    Kate here’s hoping to you. All you can do is encourage. This has been a long hard year and winter. I feel both Joe and I have aged substantially, me from lack of social contacts, Joe from lack of exercise and poor intake choices. I have to stop myself from nagging him and reminding him of his recent diabetes dx. Put a guard on my mouth! Our activity levels improved with the weather for a few days, hoping we can maintain while the clouds and chill roll back in.
    Welcome @Lynetteperez and good luck Lynette in FL. I sleep better when I’ve been more active than usual… and not eaten for a few hours before bedtime ;}
    Heather :love: seeing your DDIL and grands smiles! Garden visit, hot cross buns, Johnny amenable to a cruise next spring, LPA and cleaner’s price hike good discussion… win, win, WIN, win win!!!
    Katla Hooray for the printer cartridges outing! Bunny dollies (not live ones) are Tumble’s natural prey. :laugh:
    Lisa “heart-filler” indeed!

Colors: favorite is aquamarine, but this is too faint to really show. Palette would be Machka's beachy ones or jewel tones but can’t find one that gives the “clear” feeling I mean. This comes close:ks9sjuaa7pjb.jpg Earth tones look soiled to me. Oranges and yellows need not apply … ;) I wear mostly blue, some lavender and pink, occasional grey, black or green. Our house’s exterior is blue with brown trim. We are gradually changing the trim to a darker blue. Our interior walls are mostly 70’s “wood” paneling which Joe loves. Where there is no paneling, there is grandma patterned wallboard, which I’d change if I had the energy and $$. ;)

Weight was down this morning, below January levels. Encouraging after the inexorable rise in March.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 3/0/0; steps>5627=7332 :smile: vits=3, log=3, CI<CO=3, CI<250<CO=3, Tumble=5 Shadow=5 mfp=3 outside=4 up hill=4
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=2.67 packwalk=, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=1 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Went outside for a walk and now have windows open getting fresh air in..
    Will close them later trying to get the sunshine in..
    Heather- sounds like you both had an awesome time so fun... the birds are singing outside and I love it!!
    Sat out on a bench and soaked up a bit of sun..boy did it feel good...
    I did more today than i have in a long time so here is hoping little by little ill get my stamina back..
  • Whidislander
    edited April 2021
    Well yesterday wasn't an OMAD day but still a good day. I ate one of my homemade banana bread mini loaves with a Tbsp of butter melted on it with coffee for breakfast. I did good work on baking them! At noon I had about 1/2 cup of leftover taco meat in a taco salad with diced tomatoes, farm style shredded Tillamook cheese, sour cream and a few of my husbands nacho chips smashed up at the bottom. Totally heavenly!

Eldest son had stated he wished to take us out to dinner. Sweet child💖. He was going to take us to Mod Pizza, but noticed a lot of bad reviews about that chain, so husband had mentioned we take our pilgrimage to Langley, down the island a bit, to our ramen place. Its a mom and son thing, so husband stayed home. Son felt bad about leaving but once we got in his van, I explained that sometimes its nice for his Dad and I to be separated. The whole absence makes the heart grow fonder, really is true! Well, we had about an hours wait once we arrived. So we walked around, chatting and window shopping. My son is such a gentleman, conversation was easy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! We stopped at an expensive candy shop, and stocked up, getting myself a handful of soft chews, some NECCO wavers, and a Bighunk bar. Son bought a bunch of stuff and it was my treat. Even splurged and got some orange slices for husband. When we circled back to the restaurant they were able to seat us in the back tented area, but the heaters were going, so it was quite comfortable. Son showed me pics on his phone of Chinese Lego sets he was thinking of buying, and at one point we both got the giggles and were quietly giggling until I was about crying! I can't even recall what it was about, but man, I hadn't laughed like that in awhile! I ate a bowl of ramen, but it was definitely more food in a day than I have had in a LONG while. Last night it was hard to sleep, and I had to take Pepto Bishop just to calm my belly down. But you know, it was totally worth it. The evening wasn't just about feeding my belly, it was about feeding my soul and filling my heart. Sometimes I wish he had a wife or girlfriend, because he has so much to offer, and all we Mommas wish for our kids to have, is someone that loves them as much as we do. I guess it might come in time, when he retires from the Navy. He is happily set in his ways, at 31 years old though.

Today its mealess day, coffee, water and maybe some juice. I need to rest this belly!
    💖 Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Happy Easter to those who celebrate. It is just DD and me today as son has moved to San Diego and DGD to Baltimore. Other family is in CA. It is cool and cloudy here now. I skipped sunrise service at church because it was held outside and it was raining.

Heather - Sounds like you are having a wonderful day.

Welcome to the newbies. Keep coming back.

I am happy the YM announced that as of April 12 they are relaxing many of the restrictions on the pool. Locker rooms are also going to be available again. Still need to wear masks except for in the pool and shower. Numbers will be monitored. I have had my vaccination and really need to get in some intentional exercise.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    Getting near to booking a cruise for next spring. :o:o:o:o:o

Yes, folks, so happy about today's ordinariness. Life hasn't been ordinary for a long time. We were royally entertained by the kids,especially Edie. 7 going on 14. :D I'm glad I don't live next door. What an almighty racket!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Julie - I don't like all the distracting backgrounds. I preferred it when he was just in his bedroom. Rather sweet. :p I still listen every day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather, i think for a while the bedroom has been a fake one with green screen. i noticed that day after day, every book, paper, etc, was in exactly the same place (too much to be true) and then i think he said it was a green screen. It's funny but i guess not surprising. In google meet some of the optional backgrounds are just living rooms or bedrooms. I think that is pretty funny. But i think in terms of news it was better to have a simple background. It's as if he is doing 2 stories at once. I think it might possibly to get people to watch it more. if someone watches 30 seconds 2 x it's counted as 2 views.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Debbie, i am so sorry for your loss.

Tracey, that's lovely about the flea market suggestion and visit.

Colors, i like most colors and it changes over time. my clothes tend to be neutral, but with a few colorful pieces. my furnshings are neutral colors but some comforter covers are very colorful (purple, red), others are neutral(gray, beige). i have a divider that's white with huge dark pink flowers, and i change curtains every few years. (i get inexpensive standard ones) and last batch was white- a bit too boring, the present batch (which cover a wall of windows) is a gentle but solid purple.
    i'm not big on yellow. i can't imagine buying yellow clothes or furnishings at present, though conceivably a yellow wall in a bathroom or kitchen i could imagine. of course yellow flowers like daffodils are lovely!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2021
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tina thanks so much for the TV info. WAY too inconvenient to hook either of our laptops to either of our TVs. Could I get some kind of wireless HDMI device to watch on my older TV? Joe’s new TV is not currently hooked up to the internet, which may be why he can’t set up his new sound bar. It’s “Roku” ready, is Roku a wireless device for connecting to the internet, or a subscription service, or??? Many many thanks!

I am sure there is something you can get that's wireless. The issue is you need some type of connector for that too, unless your TV has wireless capability. If it does, I'm sure you could, but also if it does, you can stream to it. You'd just have to put it on your home network. There are Roku TVs and boxes. You'd put those on your home network and then connect to the TV for your output. Again, I'm not the expert on this, I just know at a basic level. We have Tivo and stream Netflix and Amazon Prime through it. We use our Playstation to stream Disney+ because neither the Tivo, nor the smart TV support it. Silly...I know.

As for subscription, I don't know for sure, because I don't have it. I think it might be just a way to stream all the other subscription services.

Tina in CA