Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

vaccinations/health care and product promotions.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I know, NorthCascades.

Paperpudding, you need to move to the U.S. It's all about the free stuff.

I call it the Free Stuff mentality, and I don't like it because it can be very wasteful. Part of my work is public education, and I do give away stuff promoting the message I'm trying to get across. Some are "prizes" for participating in an activity, but it's interesting to watch people like to just grab and grab and grab, and then frustrating to see those things in the garbage later in the day.

If it's any consolation, I will probably never need to buy any scratch pads or sticky notes for home use ever again in my lifetime, I've accumulated such a collection. And I DO use them. None were grabbed by me, all given. Some were conference swag, others had messages (like a really nice sized note pad promoting home CO detectors). And, yes, I have a CO detector, so perhaps it worked :D

Unrelated, but our city code requires CO detectors, didn't realize that wasn't generally the case these days.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I know, NorthCascades.

I call it the Free Stuff mentality, and I don't like it because it can be very wasteful. Part of my work is public education, and I do give away stuff promoting the message I'm trying to get across. Some are "prizes" for participating in an activity, but it's interesting to watch people like to just grab and grab and grab, and then frustrating to see those things in the garbage later in the day.

Years ago I was volunteering for another organization. They had some very nice informative literature; people liked it. The organization was asking for a very small donation to help offset printing costs - like ten cents maybe or at most a quarter. It was really interesting to watch when people would want to take one, and then one of the staff would mention the very small donation, and then watch the hands dart back as if the literature was on fire. Seriously. If it's not worth ten cents to you, you didn't really want it.

Agree. 95+% of the "free stuff" I get for whatever reason is cheap crap and ends up in the trash can or recycling before it gets in our house.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I guess the answer is see don't really consider health messaging sacrosanct here. And we love free stuff. .

yes clearly so - cultural difference I guess.
    Which was discussion point of thread.

No quite happy in Australia, thanks.
    It was intended as discussion of cultural differences and personal opinions re such promotions, not a who is better competition.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I know, NorthCascades.

If it's any consolation, I will probably never need to buy any scratch pads or sticky notes for home use ever again in my lifetime, I've accumulated such a collection. And I DO use them. None were grabbed by me, all given. Some were conference swag, others had messages (like a really nice sized note pad promoting home CO detectors). And, yes, I have a CO detector, so perhaps it worked :D

Unrelated, but our city code requires CO detectors, didn't realize that wasn't generally the case these days.

Ours does also but only within the last few years. I had my CO detector before it was mandatory. (I've had it so long it just expired and I replaced it this weekend) Although I don't think they do anything in the way of actual enforcement, like inspecting homes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    No idea what Canada or the UK’s stand on this would be so I’m just giving a personal reaction.

I’m not in favour of any handout at the vaccination site that isn’t connected to COVID prevention and a true charitable (non advertising) or government hand out. (ie: a choise of advised pain killer (2pk) for after effects that night/next day)

The KK ‘donation’ is an advertising and tax ploy and if one company is allowed to do this then it could end up with rows of goody bags being offered and people choosing which site to attend based on what freebies they get.

This could then devolve into company sponsored sites that could compromise quality of service and equality of distribution.

Like I said, just my reaction.

Cheers, h.

The donuts are not offered at the donation sites. You have to go to a Krispy Kreme store (or is it a restaurant—neither seems quite right). Bakery?
  • Psychgrrl
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Just got 2nd shot at cvs and they gave me a 20% off coupon. They have given me coupon for flu shot before. I don't think it would be something that would draw anyone to get vaccinated but is a nice bonus.

Not sure where you are, but there are lots of free or “small donation” flu shot clinics in the US. I didn’t realize people would need a 20% off coupon for a flu shot.
  • paperpudding
    Next up, they offered their employees $100 in pay (subject to the usual taxes/withholdings, so probably around $70 net) to be vaccinated, explicitly saying they would not *require* employees, patrons, etc. to be vaccinated

I definitely cant see that flying here (even if all employees could get vaccinated which most probably cant under current criteria here)

Occupations for which vaccination is required (not Covid vac - flu vac and other vacs or serology proofs of immunity) - all employees have to do it, like it or not. No incentives, pay or otherwise - you do it or don't work

Same with visitors to nursing homes - you have to have had current flu vaccine unless medically contraindicated (very rare) or under 6 months old

No incentives, pay or otherwise - you do it or don't work/volunteer/visit
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Just got 2nd shot at cvs and they gave me a 20% off coupon. They have given me coupon for flu shot before. I don't think it would be something that would draw anyone to get vaccinated but is a nice bonus.

Not sure where you are, but there are lots of free or “small donation” flu shot clinics in the US. I didn’t realize people would need a 20% off coupon for a flu shot.

It's to induce a person to take their insurance-covered vaccination need to a particular pharmacy, which will be paid by the insurance company. My flu vax is "free" (to me) because my insurance company pays for it. My pharmacy gives the coupon (not why I go there for the shot; it's just convenient - I don't necessarily use the coupon, but they always give it to me).

It's not about "need" on the part of the person being vaccinated, I think. For sure, it's not an inducement to me to be vaccinated . . . at most, it could be an inducement about *where* to be vaccinated (it's not even that, for me).
  • Psychgrrl
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This will attract some disagrees, I predict. 😆

There's a semi-local-to-me business, Saddleback BBQ, that has really risen in a public-spirited way (IMO) during the pandemic. Not only are they still in business, they raised staff's pay (in the restaurant business!) to $15-19 an hour, and they've made a practice of paying off lunch-money arrears at multiple public school systems (thousands of dollars), and more.

They offered an order of free pork rinds to people who showed they'd had both vax shots (we've been all Pfizer/Moderna hereabouts so far). Chaos ensued on Facebook when they announced it: Hilarious reactions of all sorts, and they engaged (in a mostly positive spirit) via one of the owners, as well as there being *quite* the back & forth between pro/anti, boycott/patronize factions (as far as I could see they deleted none of it, just let it play out). Next up, they offered their employees $100 in pay (subject to the usual taxes/withholdings, so probably around $70 net) to be vaccinated, explicitly saying they would not *require* employees, patrons, etc. to be vaccinated. More upheaval, pro/anti, posturing, and general Facebook mayhem. It's been interesting.

Vegetarians (which I am) don't mostly patronize BBQ restaurants. But it's been interesting to watch.

I think they e been treating their employees in an exemplary way. Many businesses have not. Kroger is closing two heavily used stores in Long Beach because of the newly signed “hero pay” law.

They posted over at 8% profit for 2020 and had a “strong first quarter” in 2021 according to their press release, but say they cannot afford to pay the workers more who risked their lives to work during the pandemic and on whose backs those profits were made. 😕

There was a joint press release between the California State University and the University of California (where I work) to open for review of the policy for the new coronavirus vaccine requirement. As soon as it is past emergency authorization, it will be required of all faculty, staff, and students (medical exemptions will be reviewed for acceptance). Flu shots were required for the first time this year. In the past, they’ve just been “strongly encouraged.”
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    Next up, they offered their employees $100 in pay (subject to the usual taxes/withholdings, so probably around $70 net) to be vaccinated, explicitly saying they would not *require* employees, patrons, etc. to be vaccinated

I definitely cant see that flying here (even if all employees could get vaccinated which most probably cant under current criteria here)

Occupations for which vaccination is required (not Covid vac - flu vac and other vacs or serology proofs of immunity) - all employees have to do it, like it or not. No incentives, pay or otherwise - you do it or don't work

Same with visitors to nursing homes - you have to have had current flu vaccine unless medically contraindicated (very rare) or under 6 months old

Some businesses with salaried employees let them get the vax on company time. This business is all hourly-pay. Part of their representation is that this is close to equivalent to letting employees get the vax during work hours.

In the US, even this has attracted lightning from the public. *Requiring* employees to be vaccinated is even more controversial. That may be shocking, or something people elsewhere reject . . . but inducements play slightly better here than mandates. I don't love everything about our culture, but it is what it is, and this business (like all others) is swimming in it.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

Some businesses with salaried employees let them get the vax on company time. This business is all hourly-pay. Part of their representation is that this is close to equivalent to letting employees get the vax during work hours.

We've had on-site flu vaccination clinics annually at work but I'm not sure we'll get the same service with Covid vaccine because of the storage requirements. I will have to use sick time to leave work and get vaccinated, the same as I do for other medical appointments. Although appointment sick time usage is viewed as preventative and not the same as being "sick". We can get hauled in for using a lot of sick time.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Me at my first dose appt when they told me to go into an area where the nurses are for my 15 minute hostage situation: Any donuts or cookies?
  • paperpudding
    edited April 2021

In the US, even this has attracted lightning from the public. *Requiring* employees to be vaccinated is even more controversial. That may be shocking, or something people elsewhere reject . . . but inducements play slightly better here than mandates. I don't love everything about our culture, but it is what it is, and this business (like all others) is swimming in it.

Ive been vaccinated on company time, on wages, as has my husband - that is not unusual when the vaccines are supplied on site

Many companies cover the cost of the actual vaccines (flu vaccine) - either through a contract with an external provider or reimbursing receipts - but the vaccines are not compulsory unless relevant to the job

But nowhere pays you extra wages if you are vaccinated - either it is a requirement of the job or it isnt - and it can only be a requirement if it is relevant to the job - eg health care, child care.
    A steelworks or burger place would not be able to enforce it.
    But a steelworks can enforce mandatory drug testing - because they operate heavy machinery and it is relevant to the job - that is the bottom line with anything mandatory.
  • lemurcat2
    edited April 2021

It's to induce a person to take their insurance-covered vaccination need to a particular pharmacy, which will be paid by the insurance company. My flu vax is "free" (to me) because my insurance company pays for it. My pharmacy gives the coupon (not why I go there for the shot; it's just convenient - I don't necessarily use the coupon, but they always give it to me).

It's not about "need" on the part of the person being vaccinated, I think. For sure, it's not an inducement to me to be vaccinated . . . at most, it could be an inducement about *where* to be vaccinated (it's not even that, for me).

As I understand it, it's 20% off anything in the store day of when you get vaccinated there, right? I think Psychgrrl was thinking it was 20% the cost of the vaccination.
  • lemurcat2
    edited April 2021

I could see us requiring hospital or nursing home employees to be vaccinated. Lots of colleges seem to be requiring it for students to come back to campus in the fall.

I kind of like the incentive approach, as I think there's some element of why do I need to bother among some (much like traditionally with the flu vaccine) or I'd look like a wimp if I got vaccinated. This gives them a reason to do it or to tell others why they did it (even while rolling their eyes and saying they didn't need it).

Actually, now that I think of it, our office building does an annual flu vaccine event (couple of days) and I think they usually give out donuts. I've never gotten the shot there, and to be honest I've been pretty bad about getting the flu shot since I've never gotten the flu and even the very mild inconvenience seemed not worth it (I have gotten it when I happened to be at a doctors during the relevant time and was offered it. This year changed that for me (I got it this year, at a Walgreens), and I will get it in the future.
  • Theoldguy1

The drug store giving the shots hands out a coupon hoping the person will buy stuff while they are in the store.
  • Theoldguy1
    glassyo wrote: »
    Me at my first dose appt when they told me to go into an area where the nurses are for my 15 minute hostage situation: Any donuts or cookies?

No food in the waiting area. I'm sure it's a cleanliness issue. Hoping most people can get through the vaccine process and the hostage situation without fainting from hunger.