Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

the necessity of working out and impacts of yoga

System
System Posts: 1,899 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: I need your advice.

Replies

• H4WKWIND
    H4WKWIND Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2021
    H4WKWIND wrote: »
    pattyjo89 wrote: »
    Any advice would be great!
    You have to workout and train like you really want it. You don't mention your exercise only eating and sitting.

I guess I got a lot of disagreements on that comment. I like to workout, and at the gym I see the regular folk come in and casually do a few things with no effort and they wonder why they haven't lost any weight.

I'm 68 5' 8" 148lbs on zero meds, daily I do my tai chi forms for 30 mins, go to 45 mins of hot yoga twice a week and the gym 45 mins 5 days a week, walk almost everyday at least 90 mins on nature trails.

One thing I did once when doing kundalini yoga was a 5 day melon cleanse, starts with light vegan diet for 3 days then the melon diet and water, then light vegan for 3 days, I don't know what I was losing but weight lose was 2lbs a day 10lbs total.

I'm retired but worked for a builder as general labourer and the last 6 months was vegan, I ate in the site trailer with my foreman and my diet got his interest, he was very much overweight. I prepped all my food the night before were as he always went out to fast food stuff and pop. We talked a lot about my fitness and diet. I visited the office probably a year later to say hi when my foreman walks in. He lost 100lbs he sez I inspired him so he got his diet together, went to the gym every morning before work and did intermittent fasting

Years ago (1974) I was doing Sivananda yoga and a lady there told the teacher she had been going to weight watchers for 3 years with little success. Our teacher told her to everyday do the shoulderstand, plough and fish pose, hold each pose for 10 mins. She did and 6 weeks later had lost 60lbs. The 3 poses are ones that stimulate the thyroid and balance your weight.

• H4WKWIND
    edited April 2021
    The woman who lost the 60lbs freaked out and quit yoga thinking it was something like dealing with the devil.
    The cleanse I did was something I gave a try coz of doing the yoga group, not that I'd do that again or any other thing like that.

Anyway thanks.
  • H4WKWIND
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Would standing on my head help?

Like this ?

agjyoxwm4kg8.jpg
    Yes, I still can do this.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited April 2021
    If I could do that while I was obese.... then I probably would not have been obese! Mind you @AnnPT77 could PROBABLY do something similar in a row boat while she was obese!!!! :lol:

The MFP database is crowd sourced and contains a lot of questionable entries. You have to be careful in selecting the entries and essentially double check them yourself. If you are primarily trying to figure out micro-nutrients you're intaking I would keep looking for a "cleaner" (albeit much more limited in scope and size) database. Out of the ones I've tried I am, to date, most impressed with cronometer--keeping in mind that it is a vastly less diverse database as compared to mfp.

<full disclosure: I couldn't do that now that I am not obese either... and you've got a good baker's dozen years on me!>
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If I could do that while I was obese.... then I probably would not have been obese! Mind you @AnnPT77 could PROBABLY do something similar in a row boat while she was obese!!!! :lol:

The MFP database is crowd sourced and contains a lot of questionable entries. You have to be careful in selecting the entries and essentially double check them yourself. If you are primarily trying to figure out micro-nutrients you're intaking I would keep looking for a "cleaner" (albeit much more limited in scope and size) database. Out of the ones I've tried I am, to date, most impressed with cronometer--keeping in mind that it is a vastly less diverse database as compared to mfp.

<full disclosure: I couldn't do that now that I am not obese either... and you've got a good baker's dozen years on me!>

I wish. No. People do headstands in racing singles (12" wide at the waterline), viewable on YouTube, but I'm not one of them. Actually, at this point, I wouldn't attempt a headstand at all (combination of minor personal physical issues I have make it a bit more risky, if I haven't been doing it longer term, and I haven't). Yoga is quite wonderful. I've done it fat and thin. Tai Chi is also excellent, did a bunch of that for many years (late husband taught Tai Chi). Veganism is probably wonderful: I've never done it, but I've been vegetarian for 46+ years, thin to obese and back again.

No exercise I've ever done has ever created weight loss irrespective of calorie intake. I do think that yoga (of some types) can increase one's body awareness, possibly in ways that lead to better appetite management and weight management for some people, but I don't believe there are magical poses that guarantee a healthy bodyweight while eating more food calories than one burns, or that cure diverse health conditions.

No eating routine I've ever adopted has created weight loss irrespective of calorie intake, either. (FWIW, I doubt this is an example of "broken metabolism".)

I think it's great when people find their individual helpful path for weight management and fitness, and it's useful when they share their experiences as such. I appreciate it when everyone/anyone (me included) recognizes that others' experiences and needs may differ from our own; and that there is some scientific basis that makes anything that works, work. It's very human to see causation, where there's no objective evidence that it goes beyond correlation.
  • H4WKWIND
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm not sure how yoga poses would stimulate a shot thyroid to produce hormones again to be honest.

Who said shot thyroid, maybe lazy or over active.

https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
  • H4WKWIND
    Not doing yoga, doing the 3 mentioned poses, will normalize the thyroid. Read the original post, a woman who went to my yoga studio was told to do these 3 poses everyday. She is the only person I've ever known to do this. There's an old saying "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".
  • H4WKWIND
    Yes and "The truest SUCCESS is but the development of self ~ Charles Atlas".

• H4WKWIND
    H4WKWIND wrote: »
    The woman who lost the 60lbs freaked out and quit yoga thinking it was something like dealing with the devil.

there's no need to be condescending about it.

I wasn't, they were her words to the teacher.

Nowadays there is Christian Yoga such as were I live is Yoga Faith. Yoga nowadays (in my City) is mostly for fitness and is a mix of flow Yoga, Pilates and Barre.
    There's also Diamond Dallas Page Yoga https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 which I've taken with a teacher.