What can I have instead of bread?

Hi, I eat the same breakfast every morning, a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal bread with Bertolli margarine. Just learning how calorific bread is but don't know what to have instead, I can't imagine eating an egg without it!

I don't eat cereal because I don't have milk. Any suggestions, please?

Replies

• xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    If you really enjoy your morning bread, why remove it? Try working it into your daily calories instead by having a smaller dinner, or working out/walking an extra mile to burn it off.

Removing the bread can potentially be counterproductive as you might crave it more and more and end up eating the whole bag of bread.

If you do want to remove it, you could try having oatmeal (cooked in water if you don't use milk) with fruit, or yogurt with dried nuts and fruit, ham or salmon rolls stuffed with cottage cheese or scrambled eggs, or just scrambled eggs with mushrooms/peppers, an omelette with a side of avocado & cherry tomatoes sprinkled with salt and oil...however these option do seem fitting with a slice of bread. Maybe you can try German-style rye bread (the one made of purely ground rye instead of rye flour) if you are looking to try out more macro-friendly bread options. I personally like the taste, but it is strong and might overpower the toppings you use. Wasa bread (Swedish crispy flatbread) is high in fiber and since the pieces are very light, you might be able to fit in 3 slices for breakfast for less caloric content than you wholemeal bread and they combine well with butter flavours...again, the texture is different and you might just be happier sticking to your bread and fitting it into you daily intake, or leaving it for weekends only.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    All food has calories. If that's the breakfast you like, figure out how to fit it into your budget. You might try a bread that's sliced more thinly, so "a piece" of bread has fewer calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I buy a crusty baguette from the French bakery, cut it up the way I like it and freeze it. To thaw, wrap in kitchen towel and give it 15 seconds in the MW. Just like new.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    It sounds like the problem here isn't the bread, but that your calorie goal is too low. 1 slice of bread shouldn't be that big of a deal calorie wise to fit into your day.
    And usually cereal and milk is more calorie dense than a slice of bread. At least, the cereal I like is.. 😂
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited April 2021
    If that particular type of bread is more calories than you feel it is 'worth' - then try a different bread perhaps? Or a lesser amount of it? Or less margarine?

My breakfast today: 1 oz cheddar cheese, 98 grams hard boiled eggs, and a small chicken sandwich in a 1/2 pita. All total about 425 cals.
  • H4WKWIND
    H4WKWIND Posts: 18 Member
    I eat bread often but it's mostly the sprouted grains type, what I read . . .
    Sprouted grain bread is lower in carbs and calories and has less of an impact on blood sugar compared to other types of bread. It may even help you lose weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    What's wrong with bread? Everything has calories, including bread. I eat three slices of bread every day, which come in at around 260 calories. Nothing wrong with that.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    I use this bread... Less calories than typical bread..

b0fwqudfjflx.png
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Hi, I eat the same breakfast every morning, a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal bread with Bertolli margarine. Just learning how calorific bread is but don't know what to have instead, I can't imagine eating an egg without it!

I don't eat cereal because I don't have milk. Any suggestions, please?

What would you sub for the bread instead?

I haven't used milk with cereal in a very long time. You can learn to eat that way and without toast with your egg if you want.

That being said, and egg is about 78 and bread can be anywhere but lets say 150 and about 30 calories with the margarine. That's about 260 calories. That's actually a good breakfast for the amount of calories it has. If you like it and it fills you up, then I say don't change what you are doing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    lx1x wrote: »

b0fwqudfjflx.png

Wait! Why is this bread so high in calories? Is all US bread? The wholegrain bread I eat comes in at roughly 240 calories per 100 grams. Like most bread, baguette, flat bread, etc. how can there be so many calories in bread?
  • lx1x
    yirara wrote: »

b0fwqudfjflx.png

Wait! Why is this bread so high in calories? Is all US bread? The wholegrain bread I eat comes in at roughly 240 calories per 100 grams. Like most bread, baguette, flat bread, etc. how can there be so many calories in bread?

You like thick slice of bread?

Typical US bread per slice are 30g more or less..

You eating 3 to 4 slices . 🤷‍♂️

z4sooq4xkdmq.png
  • lx1x
    edited April 2021
    By comparison..
    Equivalent to 2 slices of bread by weight
    r6z5dt50c1mc.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

b0fwqudfjflx.png

z4sooq4xkdmq.png

I believe that user is using 100 grams as a point to compare, not claiming their average serving of bread is 100 grams.
  • lx1x

b0fwqudfjflx.png

z4sooq4xkdmq.png

I believe that user is using 100 grams as a point to compare, not claiming their average serving of bread is 100 grams.

Read the print.. they are comparing per 28g.. a slice
  • lx1x

b0fwqudfjflx.png

647 is the NAME of the bread.

:lol:

The calories look like about 40 calories per 28g slice.

Ohh.. 😂. Yeah. 647 is the name/brand of bread..