Fasting Friends

2»

Replies

• cadyh199
    cadyh199 Posts: 8 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DghrZNUP5vo

40 minute video, but very informative about water fasts. This youtuber has several more regarding fasting, citing scientific studies. I would watch the one on muscle loss to learn about how fasting will affect your muscles.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    I thought this site was meant to be supportive. How wrong I was.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited April 2021
    While watching you-tube, you may also want to research the appropriate RE-FEADING protocols subsequent to your fast that you may want to follow in order to minimize potential adverse side effects.
  • cadyh199
    cadyh199 Posts: 8 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    While watching you-tube, you may also want to research the appropriate RE-FEADING protocols subsequent to your fast that you may want to follow in order to minimize potential adverse side effects.

https://youtu.be/h3L_118IIgE

Great informative video on how to safely refeed.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Most people here aren't informed on intermittent fasting or extended fasts, let alone actually read a book or research article about it. There is a lot of valid research out there that diets fail and intermittent fasting has a ton of benefits, but not eating doesn't sell gym memberships and weight loss crap. The same people who criticize fasting are the ones who think eating fake food (aka diet food, protein shakes, meal replacement shakes) are healthy. Constant calorie restriction kills metabolism, but that's somehow okay. I don't do extended fasts so I'm not interested in joining a group, but you might have more luck plugging into a non-MFP group because this site is based on calories in/calories out, which doesn't really work (thus all the threads about yo-yo dieting, restarting, or the number of pals that disappear and show up again, over and over again.) Good luck!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2021
    andielyn wrote: »
    Most people here aren't informed on intermittent fasting or extended fasts, let alone actually read a book or research article about it. There is a lot of valid research out there that diets fail and intermittent fasting has a ton of benefits, but not eating doesn't sell gym memberships and weight loss crap. The same people who criticize fasting are the ones who think eating fake food (aka diet food, protein shakes, meal replacement shakes) are healthy. Constant calorie restriction kills metabolism, but that's somehow okay. I don't do extended fasts so I'm not interested in joining a group, but you might have more luck plugging into a non-MFP group because this site is based on calories in/calories out, which doesn't really work (thus all the threads about yo-yo dieting, restarting, or the number of pals that disappear and show up again, over and over again.) Good luck!

Just no to all of this...

Calories in/Calories out is the ONLY thing that works when it comes to weight (losing, maintaining or gaining). All that other stuff - IF, Paleo, Keto, WFPB, etc is just fluff and a way of reducing calories to lose the weight in the first place.

Diets fail because people set a goal, lose the weight and then go back to the exact same eating patterns that got them fat in the first place. Yes, that too is a function of CICO - when you lose weight, you need fewer calories to maintain at the new weight and CANNOT go back to old eating patterns and amounts without gaining weight - it's simple math and physics.
  • gargisingh03
    gargisingh03 Posts: 1 Member
    KSJR78 wrote: »
    Hello!! I’m trying to get a small group of people together for support while doing extended fasts. Anyone interested? What are your experiences with fasting?

I do 84 hr fast every other month. It helps me in many ways. I still need to learn better about refeeding. Would love to connect.