WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    edited April 2021
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Catching up here.
    Has anybody been watching the Stanley Tucci series Searching for Italy? What a beautiful examination of the relationship between culture, environment, economics, art, and food. It is so nice to see such respect for the different cuisines.

Debbie I am so sorry that your cat has died. Our furbabies are so special to us and are family in every possible way.

Lisa A very happy birthday. I remember reading your first mystery. Have you published more? DM me.

CheriAre you still crocheting beautiful blankets. I am in awe of your skill. They are all so beautiful and you seem to finish them in no time at all.

Kim It is so hard to take care of family members without work being affected. Maybe your brother will wake up.

Heather What fun for Easter. I understand what you mean about noise! Antiques Roadshow and Midsomer Mysteries are 2 of my favorites. Are they still being produced in the UK? Both are here only on reruns. The US version is posting the current values of the pieces selected. It is fun to try to guess whether the value has increased or decreased. It appears that no one wants dark furniture.

Rebecca Athena looks just like a tiny you. I love the name. On each side of the family, we had Minerva. One was always called Minerva and the other Min. Elegant ladies, both.

Kelly A new grandchild on the way. I will hope along with you until further along.

Matchka Keep those biking pictures coming. It is great to see Australia. I worked there years ago and I know that everything has changed. About the only thing I recognize from pictures of Sydney is the opera house and the bridge and nothing from Brisbane, Melbourne, or towns on the Queensland south of Cairns and north of Rockhampton. I still remember how excited I was to see a kangaroo for the first time in the outback on the way to work.

Karen The Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation is having its annual big fundraiser and many people are having virtual silent auctions. You never know what people will bid on for a good cause.

Pip Your decorating is so inspiring. Do you conduct virtual consultations? I never know what to do for window treatments. I love the light curtain.

Pat Needle phobia is so common. I think it is the reason that some people are reluctant to get the 2-shot COVID vaccines and are waiting for the J&J.

Barbara "Earth tones look soiled to me. Oranges and yellow need not apply." My exact thought about these tones for clothing for me. Although I do have an apricot dining room and yellow trim in my kitchen with cabinets and wall two shades of green - mint and avocado. It is a craftsman style house with the original painted cabinets and so I continued the paint rather than try to strip them. I am redoing the kitchen and putting on addtion this year (if I can ever get contractors to return calls or give estimates). This will necessitate all new cabinets. I am going against the white trend and putting in wood cabinetry. I also will match (I hope) the original wood floors throughout the rest of the house.

My favorite color is blue. I look best in royal blue and wear navy blue most of the time instead of black. I also like fuchsia and frequently wear a fuchsia pashmina. I have one red pashmina that is blue toned. Other than that, I do not wear red. I do wear red matte lipstick with my navy and a dark matte fuchsia lipstick with other colors. In the 70s, for about 3 years, I really liked earth tones and yellow was my favorite color. Some pictures of me in these colors disabused me of the thought of wearing them and about that time, the earth tones/hippie trend seemed to disappear. I have always liked blush pink and sage green together for decorating with touches of a rich burgundy thrown in.

Everyone- stay well.
    CJ

Thanks. I have usually shave seen people doing that against a wall I just modified where I thought it would look cool. Just my imagination
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,286 Member
    edited April 2021
    Thank you all for the birthday wishes - Viv, I hope your birthday was wonderful!

I'm definitely in flowering plant mode--I've never been that interested before, honestly. Perhaps the whole "forever home" thing? I don't know.

Got a little insomnia, nothing major, will go back to bed and try again soon... As far as the gut thing, I did make it a week longer this time before the symptoms began, which gives me hope. Just impatient with the whole thing. Need to learn to take things in stride better.

Like, for instance, the fact that Egg brought not just one but two snakes in today. A couple hours apart, thank goodness, so my heart had time to calm down in between. The first one was maybe as big around as a soda straw, and she was doing her best to shove it under the hallway rug when I found her with it. The second one was as big around as my baby finger, and she tried to shove that one under my bed. She was none too happy with my evictions.

Hope the neighbor at our southwest side likes snakes, as I couldn't bring myself to kill them. Just slapped a plastic food storage container over the top, slid cardboard underneath and walked them to the back fence. Luckily, they're always dazed and confused after her ministrations, so easy to catch and release. Pretty sure I'd be dazed and confused too if something a thousand times bigger than me picked me up in its mouth, ran through a cat door with me, then tried to shove me under a rug!

Love my cat, but man, I hate snakes. My adrenaline shoots right through the roof.

The yawning has begun, I think I'll try again for sleep.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Home again after a few days cycling up north over Easter. No big fusses about Easter dinners, family, etc. here ... just cycling. :) And doing a couple touristy things. :)

Glad to be home again. The caravan park where we stayed (in cabins) was a bit too noisy for my liking. I think some families had gotten together from here and the mainland and they were all very excited to see each other. I don't mind that, but when it carries on quite loudly till 2 am, that bothers me.

Nevertheless, we cycled 111 km in 4 days there.

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Viv I hope your birthday was a lovely one. <3

Just recovering from a night of almost no sleep. :s No reason for it. Ridiculous. Ugh. I expect I'll sleep tonight.

Might try for a run after lunch, if it's not too windy. It's chilly, but sunny.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Hi,

Weight is up a bit. It's not a big surprise.
    I haven't been tracking regularly, and have been eating crisp breads in evening.
    They are very light individually but not half a box. :/

It feels like a mild sin, on the scheme of things, but day after day it adds up.

Yesterday was a holiday here (Easter Monday) and quite cold and rainy when i went out for a little walk, to get a coffee, and some sponges.

Usually i get exercise in morning before working, but yesterday i was slow and dragging and had a 10am writing zoom call, so i had breakfast just before 10 and lunch just after 12. This didn't set a good tone to the day. The previous day was better on the activity level!

I worked for about 3h-4h yesterday maybe.

Then i didn't fall asleep till about 2am. So it's a slow wake up now.

Weather is better. i'll go out for a stand up coffee at nearby place with the aim to get into gear.

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Pip- Yogi and Kirby look like they are having a great time.I hope you are too.
    Woke up a little before 3 am but fell asleep after 7 so its ok..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Went for tiny walk and coffee. Really cold right now so 1° centigrade or 34° Fahrenheit, with a bit of wind.
    Doing a 4x cleaning, 15 meditating, 15 min on recumbent and then work.
    Late start, but doing the above ritual (clean, meditate, exercise) tends to get my mind clear for the rest, more than if i try to plunge without the above.

When i did my master's i had morning insomnia and would get up and go at 4am so it worked well. Often by 6 i was ready to work. But at present even if i wake up the morning motivation is lacking.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, an hour combing Tumble, made experimental almond paste.
    Bonus: another barrowful of sticks to the burn pile, baked two batches of cookies and took to the fire hall.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, burn pile, pickup keys and have copies made, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, gas, Tire swap, Library, Dollar store, go to Dr’s office re: Joe’s Interpath labs not approved by medicare. Was there some coding error between Dr.’s office and lab? If not, were tests medically necessary? county planning office neighbor’s plans, ongoing: fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), 2nd week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, bank to turn in pennies,
    Active April:
    6: Turn a regular activity into a playful game today: challenge will be to play with the dogs at the powerline instead of carrying more sticks to the burn pile.

Whew! On my feet all day, totally wiped out and still 700 steps below goal.

CJ I think the white cabinets trend is just about done, along with stainless steel appliances. Good luck finding a contractor, it’s almost impossible here unless you’re building a bazillion dollar home from scratch.
    Katla what exciting news that your daughter will be coming and possibly bringing the GD with. Fingers Xd.
    Welcome @Rainfisher Lorraine!
    Kelly no kids, but as for wanting to eat more… that’s motivation for me to cool down our walls ;)
    Sue in WA fingers X’d for your cherry bush!
    Heather, imho go for the gold when deciding on your cabin grade. Carpe diem!
    Michele $6.99 for standing rib roast would be a real bargain here. You could freeze it and save it for when she does come.
    Ginny good to see you posting, sorry the it band stretches are causing you back pain. Could you call the PT and ask for alternatives?
    Tracey “It’s hard to gather outside in the Winter here.” Made me laugh. I had an image of a group of snowsuited, balaclava-ed, mittened, shivering, freezing people, each with their own socially distanced bonfire. :noway: Sorry for your loss.
    Pip :love: Yogi looks so comfy/cozy in his corner and sweatshirt. Woo hoo for your first camping trip with Bette2 (Minnie the Meerkat).
    Lisa ssssnakessss?!?!? Oh Egg, noooooooo!!!!
    Julie 34F and windy does not sound inviting. Glad you’ve found a morning ritual to clear your mind for your writing.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 5, weigh/wii: 5/0/0; steps>5627=5089 vits=5, log=5, CI<CO=4, CI<250<CO=4, Tumble=8 Shadow=7 mfp=5 outside=6 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=2.67 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=3 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Debbie so sorry to hear about your little cat. :'(:'(
    Viv <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Lisa omg i have had half mice from cats many a time, and a few little birds, but sleepy snakes? yikes! i would be uneasy! I recall having snakes sneak into house 2 x in my life and i was not a fan! Though they are harmless, rare (for meà and non-agressive, the creepiness factor is there. Good that they are small and sleepy, easy to catch.
  • bananasandoranges
    Ginny, nice to see you posting. i have been off the boards a fair bit in the past weeks, so missed what you were recovering from. A fall? i hope you feel better very soon.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited April 2021
    Done
    4x 15 minutes cleaning:
    KITCHEN- shelves, surfaces, dusting, tosssing
    LIVING - tidying, a bit of scrubbing, tiny bit of moving furniture around,
    BR - straightening surfaces, and moving some things
    BATHROOM: actually handwashing a few bits.

Washer broken for a few weeks now. Somehow i've managed to get by till now without washing but i won't make it another 7 days till delivery of new machine. I washed 7 pairs of undies, and 1 wool undershirt, and a dress. i'll probably wash a 3 or 4 tops and maybe a pair of jeans tomorrow. Then i should be pretty close to making it through.

Prepped a chicken soup, which is cooking.
    -Chicken bones and the little bit of remaining meat,
    -lots of fresh chard, some fresh carrots, garlic, pepper, a tiny bit of ginger, a bit of cumin and a tiny bit of of dried chives, and a wee bit of home cooked chickpeas in the mix.
    -To get to 5 veggies per day i added on top 3 pieces each from the freezer: eggplant, zuke and red pepper.

I'm not sure how important the 5 different veggies per day is, but i think it's a good habit to cultivate, to avoid monovegetable eating :D I've been aiming for 5 (even tiny bits of 5) at lunch. Then it's done, and i don't need to think about that later.

To do
    Now on recumbent.

Then meditation,

then writing/paper app.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Good Tuesday!
    Catching up on work paperwork for past 4 hours. Taking short break.

Julie I understand the ritual. My husband's morning ritual is set in concrete! I really need to get into rituals or routines, but somehow life keeps me on my toes! I do have to have things organized a certain way to work on them though. Papers must be sorted before my brain can comprehend what I am suppose to do. I can leave dishes in sink, but can't concentrate with clutter around the house. I am weird.🤪

Back to the grinding wheel. I dont even go to work for another 2 hours!

Kylia in Ohio where folks are wanting to cut grass but mowers not starting.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday!
    Viv- Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
    Ginny- Welcome back! Hope you are feeling better soon!
    Pip- Love the pics! Where did you go camping? Was it someplace close by, just to get the kinks out with your new girl (what did you decide; Minnie? Bette 2.0?) I love that she matches your car and Yogi looks perfectly comfortable with her!
    Michele-Those are all great ideas for a two year old! Personally, I would go with the tool bench. You are right, kids that age love to bang on things and screw and unscrew things and he would play with a tool bench for at least two/four more years. The slide, he is going to outgrow quickly. The tool bench could be set up outside or in.
    Lisa- I am giggling at the image of Egg hiding snakes for you to find! Happy Easter! lol Oh my!
    Barbie- Every spring I read of your time spent in your yard/garden. It just dawned on me that I need to be doing my "gardening" the way you seem to. Break it up into little bits of time each day; rather than trying to spend hours on the weekend. So...maybe I will start with just 15/20 minutes each evening. I need to get my roses and hydrangeas ready for those first spring/summer buds. I could also clean up a few of the sticks around the yard.
    Heather- So glad Johnny has changed his mind on the trip! Let the planning begin!

A good day yesterday! Started with a thunderstorm; which worked really well with my plan to have our crafts/activities be around the topic of spring weather. Yesterday we talked about storms and air pressure and did a science experiment with a candle in a jar and water. I was happy to hear the five year old use the term "theory" (and use it correctly) after not being around me and our science lessons for a few months. I taught him that word last year. He is a smartie! Today we focus on on literacy so we will have some weather words letter search. (clouds, rain, sun, thunder, air, pressure, etc.) then they match the letters to make the word. Kind of like Boggle.

On a slightly personal note: I am not sure what is up with my hubby not showering. I don't think he has showered in a week or more and he is getting slightly smelly. lol (laughing, but not laughing). I am not sure if it is him losing track of when he last showered, or thinking he doesn't need one because it's not hot out and he doesn't move around much... I am wondering if it is getting hard for him to get in and out of the shower (he needs to step into the tub and the sides are pretty high). Have any of you had to re-think or re-do your bathrooms due to advancing age and declining physical ability?

Well, I have to scoot. I need one more cup of coffee and have to get my trash to the curb. ttfn xoxox KJ (Kelly)

• KJLaMore
    Julie- Hmmm....five different veg a week. I am not sure I do that. I will have to think about that, today and get back to you. I like all of the vegetables, but I DO tend to buy and eat the same ones each week...hmmm
  • KJLaMore
    JUlie- Holy Cats! you said five a day! I am positive I don't get that! Five servings, yes, most days; but five different veg? Nope!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited April 2021
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Every time you post your map of where you have ridden; I am reminded of the second to last episode of Sherlock, when he tells off his brother (who is tracking him) in a walk. lol What would you spell out on a ride, if you could?
    KJ (Kelly)

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of grid system roads here so it is difficult to "write" or "draw" things when I ride. But I have thought of trying to "draw" animals. :)

-To get to 5 veggies per day i added on top 3 pieces each from the freezer: eggplant, zuke and red pepper.

I'm not sure how important the 5 different veggies per day is, but i think it's a good habit to cultivate, to avoid monovegetable eating :D I've been aiming for 5 (even tiny bits of 5) at lunch. Then it's done, and i don't need to think about that later.

I eat at least 3 different kinds of veggies most days. My lunch most days is rice, chicken flakes, and this:

3x9l47h1cb2u.png

KJLaMore wrote: »
    On a slightly personal note: I am not sure what is up with my hubby not showering. I don't think he has showered in a week or more and he is getting slightly smelly. lol (laughing, but not laughing). I am not sure if it is him losing track of when he last showered, or thinking he doesn't need one because it's not hot out and he doesn't move around much... I am wondering if it is getting hard for him to get in and out of the shower (he needs to step into the tub and the sides are pretty high). Have any of you had to re-think or re-do your bathrooms due to advancing age and declining physical ability?
    KJ (Kelly)

Fortunately at the moment, we are quite well set up. However, if we stay in this house longer, or when we move to another one, there will need to be bars in the bath/shower to hang onto, and beside the toilet.

Right now, getting into our shower is quite easy. This is a photo of the bathroom before we moved in. We've got a closed cupboard where the shelf is. And you can see the creamy yellow walls ... we've got them throughout the house.

However, getting in and out of the shower is quite easy and the floor surface doesn't tend to be slippery.

Mine was going long periods of time between showers, then a doctor asked him how he was going with his personal care, and after that he started showering more.

zg2hsbb2ihfz.png

Machka in Oz