What is my body type?

Handoka23
Handoka23 Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 5 foot 3 and weight around 58 kgs. I have 38 inches hips and shoulders, 26 inches waist and 34 inches bust. I don’t know what my body shape is and whether it is skinny or curvy as it’s quite confusing for me. I need your help kindly,

0bd5u0ufr8ml.jpeg

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    @Handoka23 your link leads to sketchy ads I tried twice and didn’t bother to go any further. Giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you have a genuine question and not some garbage to promote, post your photo using this method:2xno3b49l38h.jpeg

• Handoka23
    edited April 2021
    Oh i’m really sorry no i’m not trying to promote anything. Thank you so much for letting me know!
  • springlering62
    Well thank goodness you’re legit and reply!

From a female’s point of view, from this front on view, you have a nice slim figure, with curves in all the right places. (and I think women are the harshest judges of all!)

Photos can be misleading, though. I’m wider than I am thick, my own self.
  • springlering62
    I noticed you just recently joined. Are you working towards a certain shape or weight? What brought you here?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    For what purpose do you need to know your body type? (I'm asking because there are some things that suggest one needs to eat differently based on "body type", or dress differently, and those kinds of things are mostly either unscientific nonsense, or pure opinion that ought to have minimum power over us, IMO.)

For the moment, I'd say that you have a normal female human body type; a weight near the middle of the normal BMI range for your height (which would be a reasonable zone for most people); and a waist to height ratio that usually correlates with a healthy weight (higher end of extremely slim, in fact).
  • Handoka23
    Thank you for your reply! Yes i have just joined. I want to gain weight because i feel that my body is very petite despite being in a healthy weight range i view my body as banana-ish type and i want to work on this to achieve an hourglass shape.
  • Handoka23
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For what purpose do you need to know your body type? (I'm asking because there are some things that suggest one needs to eat differently based on "body type", or dress differently, and those kinds of things are mostly either unscientific nonsense, or pure opinion that ought to have minimum power over us, IMO.)

For the moment, I'd say that you have a normal female human body type; a weight near the middle of the normal BMI range for your height (which would be a reasonable zone for most people); and a waist to height ratio that usually correlates with a healthy weight (higher end of extremely slim, in fact).

Exactly i read a lot about dressing according to my body type (banana-apple-pear-hourglass) and i have a problem knowing which category i fit in.
  • springlering62
    Have you considered recomp? That’s a combination of monitoring calories and doing weight lifting. Ladies don’t generally bulk doing lifting unless they make a specific effort to do so.

It has been very effective for me. I’m pleased with the results and still look feminine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Handoka23 wrote: »

Exactly i read a lot about dressing according to my body type (banana-apple-pear-hourglass) and i have a problem knowing which category i fit in.

One thing to try would be putting on an outfit that's supposed to flatter each type (i.e. different outfit suited for each type), photograph yourself, and see which you think looks nicest. I'm not really a fashion person, but feel like figuring out what suits our individual sense of style, what makes us feel confident and self-expressive, what we think looks nice ourselves, that's where the sweet spot is.

You look as if you may be fairly young (I'm saying this because of things like your skin texture in your photo, not anything sneaky). If that's true, that tends to be a time of exploring and trying to find a personal style, so I get why those articles can have some appeal as a guide.

A lot of times, however, those articles are oversimplified and cartoon-ish, IMO, trying to fit us all into constricting little boxes that would have us all kind of look alike, instead of finding our own vibe. Confidence and self-expression are attractive.

Perhaps someone else will comment here who's more into standard fashion . . . seemingly I'm not that woman.
  • Handoka23
    Have you considered recomp? That’s a combination of monitoring calories and doing weight lifting. Ladies don’t generally bulk doing lifting unless they make a specific effort to do so.

It has been very effective for me. I’m pleased with the results and still look feminine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

No i have never tried any workouts before in my life! I am not active at all so thank you so much for your own suggestions i’m all new to this.
  • Handoka23

One thing to try would be putting on an outfit that's supposed to flatter each type (i.e. different outfit suited for each type), photograph yourself, and see which you think looks nicest. I'm not really a fashion person, but feel like figuring out what suits our individual sense of style, what makes us feel confident and self-expressive, what we think looks nice ourselves, that's where the sweet spot is.

You look as if you may be fairly young (I'm saying this because of things like your skin texture in your photo, not anything sneaky). If that's true, that tends to be a time of exploring and trying to find a personal style, so I get why those articles can have some appeal as a guide.

A lot of times, however, those articles are oversimplified and cartoon-ish, IMO, trying to fit us all into constricting little boxes that would have us all kind of look alike, instead of finding our own vibe. Confidence and self-expression are attractive.

Perhaps someone else will comment here who's more into standard fashion . . . seemingly I'm not that woman.

Thank you so much for your response and no i’m not young actually i’m 23 years old. I was never into body shapes and stuff. I recently discovered all of that so you may be right about those articles.
  • Handoka23
    Thank you both! You are so kind really ❤️

It’s not instagram that got me interested but a friend of mine mentioned that i have a banana body shape and that i have no curves on my body so i started reading about body shapes to know what does banana mean. I am middle eastern so curvy bodies are a huge thing in my culture and i felt insecure when i learned that hourglass body shapes are the ideal. Before this conversation with my friend i never thought about what my body looks like but now i feel like i want to gain weight to get a “thick body”
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Just to put it out there you may not gain weight in exactly the areas you want. You could want to be more curvy but depending on genetics you may just gain weight evenly over your body. I am a "rectangle" or "banana" shape technically (so not curvy either) and I gain weight evenly over my body. 🤷‍♀️ I would probably second the suggestion of recomp and keep your expectations realistic.
  • Handoka23
    Just to put it out there you may not gain weight in exactly the areas you want. You could want to be more curvy but depending on genetics you may just gain weight evenly over your body. I am a "rectangle" or "banana" shape technically (so not curvy either) and I gain weight evenly over my body. 🤷‍♀️ I would probably second the suggestion of recomp and keep your expectations realistic.

Thanks for reply! I actually tend to gain so much weight in my butt, lower stomach and upper arms for some reason. My butt looks really huge for my body frame.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    You look great and 23 is young. I say this very lovingly as a 29-year-old, and I know I'm still relatively young.

Since it seems that your questions are mostly based on concern for aesthetics, I'd suggest focusing your possible diet and exercise aspirations based on health and fitness goals instead of appearances, and "deal" with the appearance concerns through wardrobe. If clothing stores / malls / department stores are open in your area and you're comfortable, you could just go browsing and try on a bunch of differently cut/shaped outfits and see what you look best in. If you're unsure, bring a friend, but not the same one who brought your mind into this mess in the first place. At least here many clothing store chains and department stores also have free personal shopper/stylist services, if you're interested in updating your wardrobe you might be interested in trying something like that.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Before this conversation with my friend i never thought about what my body looks like but now i feel like i want to gain weight to get a “thick body”

Do NOT do that, my 2 penny. When I was a teenager, I was thin and always on the move. Family/friends suggested I put on some "meat". Fast forward 2-3 years: I am constantly fighting (since then) to lose a couple of pounds.

You don't look slim to me. Working out, cardio and lifting is beneficial. Eating right is beneficial, too. Trying to gain weight per-se, at least in your case, doesnt seem necessary (again, my opinion). If you still want to, then do it right, by eating healthy foods.

It also seems to me like the weight is distributed perfectly on your body. And your dress is stylish and puts your body in best light. 💐