Convince me to trash them

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Ugh, I hate having stuff in the house that I'm not even crazy about enough to eat but eat them anyways. And dh doesn't like those kinds of things. Why is it so difficult to just toss them out; I feel so guilty. :(

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Hi future neighbor! Don't know if I can convince you to throw the treat(s) out but is there a way to divvy it up responsibly?

Like freeze a portion? Or sharing some with your sister...or a neighbor? 🙋🏿‍♀️

If nothing else, I'm convinced you'll end up having the fortitude to make the right decision for yourself at this time.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have no problems throwing things away, they are being wasted either way: if in the bin or if I eat them mindlessly.

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    🗑️🚮
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I got nothing.

I would eat it. . . probably.

In my case I live on my own so if it isn't something I super-love and crave it isn't coming in the house at all.
  • H4WKWIND
    H4WKWIND Posts: 18 Member
    Don't buy junk from the store, you can make healthy snacks from natural food or bake something only occasionally. My wife will occasionally bake choc chip cookies (for occasions) or cinnamon rolls from scratch but certainly not often.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I also hate throwing things away - if you have access to a "giveaway" neighborhood group that would be my first try. If they're completely unopened you could also donate to a food pantry or another group that collects donations. Otherwise, they could have served your use for you - you've learned you don't want them in your house! And now that they've served that purpose...they can go in the trash, and you'll remember next time. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    Is it the kind of stuff you can donate? Maybe something you can share with others, or be creative and repurpose into something you DO like (ie, crumbling chips over a meat recipe, or crumbling cookies into something, etc...). Then just make a commitment not to buy those things anymore, especially if you don't care for them.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    What type of food is it? Do you garden? Do you have a compost heap? Composting is zero waste.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I really struggled with this. Why does it feel so much more virtuous to eat food we don’t want or need (and probably doesn’t even have nutritional value) than to toss it? I wonder if it is childhood messaging about wasting food?

Nowadays I tell myself that I am feeding the rats and other critters that live in the garbage dump. They can have the extra donuts/gummies/licorice instead of me.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I agree with others: Freeze it if you can; give away what you can; and otherwise just throw away or compost what you can.

Over time and with practice, I think you'll get used to throwing away what you have to. I used to hate it, too (and still do), but if I or other people in my house don't feel like eating it, there's no use in me eating it just because it's there and I "have to get rid of it."
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate having stuff in the house that I'm not even crazy about enough to eat but eat them anyways. And dh doesn't like those kinds of things. Why is it so difficult to just toss them out; I feel so guilty. :(

This is me minus the dh. :)

Well, and the feeling guilty part.

But I do hate having spent the money on something I end up not particularly liking or liking TOO much so I leave it on a bus stop bench for hopefully a homeless person to find. I've done this ever since seeing a homeless man eating from a bag of grapes I'd bought because I'd had a craving while out walking and thrown out because I couldn't stop eating and I still had a ways until I got home.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Good for you.

I normally don't bring in unless I want to eat them, and I will freeze worthwhile baked goods, but a gift you don't think is worth the cals? Toss! Well, regift if that's easy, but otherwise toss -- waste is still waste when it is eating something you don't really want to.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    My condo building has a "mystery shelf" where we can put things we don't want and they always vanish within hours, so I'm lucky that way. For instance, I got put on a low-residue diet for colonoscopy prep and was left with a few cans of veggies and fruit and most of a box of Rice Krispies now that it's over. They're going down on that shelf tomorrow!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    It's harder if it's something you really DO like.

For Easter, my sister in law brought this cake to my house...from a high-end bakery and absolutely delicious. One of the best cakes I've ever had.

She left about 3 slices behind. My husband can't eat it (gluten issues), which leaves me with 3 pieces of amazing cake. I ate one last night...the freezer is so full, I don't think that's an option. I think I may pitch the other two slices, but feel bad about it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Much harder if it's something you like but would have a hard time fitting in.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

For me it's hard because I spent money on it and it's a waste of food when I know people are starving else where.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    You want to toss them, so you already consider the item trash. Now tell me- do you consider your body a trash can? My guess is that no, no you do not. My reasoning- you are here. Toss it. And next time when you are in the crappy food isle, reflect on what kinds of foods you want to fuel your body with. Maybe you do want a treat... but does it have to be 10 servings? Can you find a single serving of something instead?
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    If it's not open, donate it to a food bank and don't buy it in the future.