Advice on Sedentary vs. Lightly Active

2»

Replies

• alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Different people will treat walking as either part of their activity setting or as purposeful exercise - just don't count it as both or you would be double counting. (i.e. if you elevate your activity setting due to your walking you wouldn't log it as exercise as well.)

As your dog walking is everyday it would be easier to regard it as part of your overall activity setting and 8,000 steps is more like Active than Lightly Active.

See you have been a member here for a long time, is this a start of a new diet or do you have your own recent logging data and weight trend to base your goal on?

Got it! Since my Fitbit is now synced with MFP, I just let it do its thing and will not manually log the calories burned. Thank you for the input that I may be viewed as more of an "active" vs "lightly active" case. This is my third time at it after a long, unintentional break. Time to face the music. :)

The synched Fitbit changes everything!
    Don't log any exercise manually on here.

The relevance of your activity setting changes compared to people who use MFP to set theit calorie allowance.
    All it's doing for you is changing the size of the calorie adjustment between what you select on here and what your Fitbit detects each day.
    Some people like big adjustments, some like small, some people want to avoid negative adjustments at all costs....

Got it! I will not log exercise manually since it would count double. :)

It won't double count - that's not what was said, might want to reread that comment.

It would just make the size of the adjustment go down if manually logged.
    MFP makes the adjustment based on 1 figure from Fitbit - total daily burned calories - that's it.
    It subtracts everything it knows about that should be - your estimated daily burn, your logged workouts, to prevent double-counting.

What it will cause is a required 2 extra syncs to have to occur - now that is risky with current syncing issues, and not needed.
    What it may cause is confusion on the Fitbit side to the viewer, since it will appear to have 2 workouts there - the original Activity Record Fitbit created, and the synced in Workout Record from MFP - but on Fitbit only the latest is used - it's a replace-only system.

Also what was said about observing your adjustments wasn't for you to do any action - merely for you to see where your activity is compared to a guess.
    If set to sedentary and you get big adjustments - then you know you are much more active than sedentary.
    No need to change anything - but now you know.

Ok, thanks for explaining.
  • alwaysgreen17
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Actually your decision on not manually logging exercise given a connected Fitbit is perfect!

But the danger is not that you might double count exercise by manually entering it in MFP.

The issue, if you were to do so, would be that integration would take your manual input and over write what Fitbit detected for that time period either "polluting" or correcting your results depending on your point of view and intentions! 😹

Ah, i see! Well, for any given reason that you all have--I just won't log manually and I'll avoid all of that. :)
  • alwaysgreen17
    cowgurl160 wrote: »
    I have a desk job but try to walk on my breaks and have animals so get a lot of steps in the evenings. I'm set to lightly active and let my fitbit activity levels tell mfp to adjust at the end of the day. But for me I like the surprise of how many extra calories I'm going to get each day.

Yes! I am starting to see the fun in that! It motivated me to go on that last walk of the night with the doggo to see what extra steps/calorie burn I could get. :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I'm on team "sedentary" then loggjng activity

Haha, that is what I'm currently trying out and might adjust. This will be a good experiment!

Are you connected up with a fitness tracker? If so, which setting gives you a more stable calorie goal for the day, for planning your food. I find it better to spread the calories out through the day than discover I'm way under target at the end of the day, repeatedly.
  • alwaysgreen17
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I'm on team "sedentary" then loggjng activity

Haha, that is what I'm currently trying out and might adjust. This will be a good experiment!

Are you connected up with a fitness tracker? If so, which setting gives you a more stable calorie goal for the day, for planning your food. I find it better to spread the calories out through the day than discover I'm way under target at the end of the day, repeatedly.

Hi! I just synced my Fitbit to MFP so I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the tips!