Trampoline

Is using a trampoline good exercise? We have it for the kids and I’ve jumped with them but just curious if I could add it to my daily exercise?
If so - how long should I jump?
Any “routines”?
Just regular jumping?

I’m 5’5” and 195lbs female... so about 50lbs to lose.

Replies

• sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have a Rebounder/mini trampoline at home and I love it!

Had it for around 4 years and I bounce on it daily, but do a proper 45 minute workout on it 3 times a week. I don't follow a particular routine (there are plenty online though), but I do general bouncing around, running on the spot, single leg hopping, jumping side to side, jumping jacks, arm exercises whilst jumping using 1kg dumbells, plus some balance work.

I also run and I find that rebounding helps with recovery, helps to keep my feet and ankles strong for trail running, improves balance and stability and has less of an impact on my joints/knees.

Overall, for me, I enjoy using it, it's a good workout, burns calories and as it's quiet (mine has bungee ropes instead of springs) I can workout during the evening whilst my children are in bed.
  • tmturbin1760
    tmturbin1760 Posts: 3 Member
    Rebounding is my primary form of exercise at home. I have a JumpSport and love it. I've been using it for about 3 years. SanFran Fitness on Youtube has some great routines for the rebounder. The benefits of this kind of movement is quite impressive. You should google "benefits of rebounding" and see what pops up. :) I usually hold 2 lb weights for most of my workout. I average 30 to 40 mins at a time on the rebounder.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I just got a rebounder. Just be wary of how many calories burned you are counting. There seems to be a wide range of estimates online but the most reasonable assessment imo seemed to be 4-5 calories burned per minute. Not sure how that compares with a full size trampoline though.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I work out on a mini trampoline/rebounder for 30 minutes just about everyday and love it! It feels so fun and effortless. I mostly stick to a high knee jog, but add in other moves for higher intensity intervals. Since MFP doesn't have a rebounder exercise option, I log it as 'running/jogging in place' - around 340 calories per 30 minute workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    edited April 2021
    A trampoline is much harder than a rebounder usually because of more give and you can actually jump higher. I used to go to trampoline birthday parties with my daughter when I was younger and was one of the only parents to kick it with the kids. I'd jump for about an hour with them (they stay for 3 hours) and in that hour I'd burn up to 400 calories easy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tmturbin1760
    tmturbin1760 Posts: 3 Member
    In reference to logging this form of exercise,... I wear a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and purchased an app for $2.45 a year, that is called PolyMetrics. It covers exercises like Rebounding, Plyometrics, jumprope, etc. I purchased it through the Connect IQ Store. And yes, a trampoline is harder than a rebounder, but still a great way to get in a workout. I have damaged achille tendions from too many years of softball/cleets. It allows me to use movements I can't do on hard surfaces. Like jumprope, sissors, high knee jog, to name a few.