Cyclists: What are your best shoes for SPD/flat combo pedals?

My commuter bike is professionally fitted to me perfectly...when wearing shoes with cleats. However, I often ride the flat pedals with street shoes and the difference in height is enough to make my knees hurt. Do shoes exist with soles the right thickness to balance out the difference? Do you recommend any brands?

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I ride flats, but my shoes are convertible ... Giro VR Rumble. Also good for my big feet.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    It may not actually be the height thats causing the knee pain, the fore/aft position of the cleat can remedy knee pain. You may actually be pedalling more with your toes when wearing flat shoes. If are pretty sure its the height, you could try getting clip on platforms that will clip into your pedals to give you a bit of added height.

https://www.flypedals.com/products/fly-pedals-version-2?variant=18941888645
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Are your cleated shoes road bike style with cleats that stand proud of the sole or MTB style with recessed cleats level with the sole?
    I use combo pedals on my hybrid / urban ride and don't notice any leg length difference between MTB shoes and trainers.
    The bonus of the MTB style is being able to walk semi-normally.

On my road bikes I use completely different shoes and cleats.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Shorter cranks? Assuming the issue is at the bottom of the stroke...
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    @mjbnj0001 how comfortable are your bike shoes for walking? I bike to work 16 miles round trip and then walk about 3-4 miles while at work. I used to wear a trail running shoe that worked fine for both, but the model is discontinued.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I commute in cleats/ road shoes. I find that to be the easiest and most enjoyable. How far do you commute? Why not ride in your cleats and bring regular shoes along?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @mjbnj0001 how comfortable are your bike shoes for walking? I bike to work 16 miles round trip and then walk about 3-4 miles while at work. I used to wear a trail running shoe that worked fine for both, but the model is discontinued.

I always had work shoes at work. I don't like walking in my cycling shoes very much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

I always had work shoes at work. I don't like walking in my cycling shoes very much.

Ditto.
    Even MTB ones with recessed cleats still make walking strange/awkward due to the inflexible sole.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited April 2021

I agree with @Machka9 and @sijomial . Keep another pair of shoes at work if you can. I used to do that, even without cycling, esp. in winter conditions.

I've walked around a fair bit at mid-day stops without too much issue. Yes, they're stiffer than regular "sneakers" (trainers if you're in UK, etc.). But OK for a bit. Don't think I've ever walked as far as 3-4 miles. I've walked on developed surfaces (paving, concrete, etc.), gravel, dirt/sand, and more. If you're commuting, walking ability is one thing. Keep in mind sometimes it rains. Wet shoes all day aren't fun.

On the other hand (foot?), most of the action on flat shoes goes toward 510. I've not been a big fan. My shoes have a firmer bottom - Vibram included - than the 510 soft stuff.

https://www.giro.com/p/rumble-vr-mountain-bike-shoes/350060000200000024.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2QdcmqvgMRsIyvHjFXusSqqQxaT-hyWDwUBfno8_e41DGHKUalGv2DUaAoUsEALw_wcB

wp1k78pvz4nl.png

Comes in a few colors. I have the black with orange highlights. In my 4th year with them now, although 2020 doesn't really count for anything. My flat pedals' traction pins are sharp (aren't they all), and have been eating away at the shoes' soles a bit; I may need a replacement pair later this year. But for the price (less than $100US), I've gotten my money's worth. The uppers are still in great shape. I spray mine with permethrin (for ticks) and silicon waterproofing.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

I agree with @Machka9 and @sijomial . Keep another pair of shoes at work if you can. I used to do that, even without cycling, esp. in winter conditions.

I've walked around a fair bit at mid-day stops without too much issue. Yes, they're stiffer than regular "sneakers" (trainers if you're in UK, etc.). But OK for a bit. Don't think I've ever walked as far as 3-4 miles. I've walked on developed surfaces (paving, concrete, etc.), gravel, dirt/sand, and more. If you're commuting, walking ability is one thing. Keep in mind sometimes it rains. Wet shoes all day aren't fun.

On the other hand (foot?), most of the action on flat shoes goes toward 510. I've not been a big fan. My shoes have a firmer bottom - Vibram included - than the 510 soft stuff.

https://www.giro.com/p/rumble-vr-mountain-bike-shoes/350060000200000024.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2QdcmqvgMRsIyvHjFXusSqqQxaT-hyWDwUBfno8_e41DGHKUalGv2DUaAoUsEALw_wcB

wp1k78pvz4nl.png

Comes in a few colors. I have the black with orange highlights. In my 4th year with them now, although 2020 doesn't really count for anything. My flat pedals' traction pins are sharp (aren't they all), and have been eating away at the shoes' soles a bit; I may need a replacement pair later this year. But for the price (less than $100US), I've gotten my money's worth. The uppers are still in great shape. I spray mine with permethrin (for ticks) and silicon waterproofing.

Those are my shoes!!!! In black with orange highlights. A place here was getting rid of some old shoe stock and had a small pile of them for $50/pair. Usually my size is nowhere to be found in situations like that, but this time I came away with 2 pair in my size.

Love them. :):)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Ditto keeping a pair of shoes at work. 🙂
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Agreed. I can't imagine it any other way.