Best Low Carb Bread (No flour was used)

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Afternoon All...

Been a bit.. Just baked my 6th loaf. Last 2 turned out perfect with a Medium amount of rise, basically the same size as your average store bought loaf.

Oh a few new pointers... If you do use a machine... I'm now pulling the doe out and the paddles after a 20 minute rise. Then I use my free hand with a good amount of oil on my 2 fingers and thumb I lubricate the 2 paddle posts as quickly as I can (this helps prevents the bread from sticking to the posts and pulling out chunks of bread when it's completed but do remember to spin the gears a few times)... Then I close the door, and work the doe in my hands squeeze and rolling then folding 1 3rd then the other 3rd over the first... Then squeeze rolling, repeat, repeat repeat.... Then basically roll in my hands to about the right length and plop it down in the middle... and press it lightly.

Then a 50 minute rise, and an hour cook. Last two times worked perfect. :)

Oh and a minor thing, but I've been letting my eggs warm up to room temp for a few hours before I start.

Voila!

wncqh7ssj56m.jpg
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    OMG....having a go at this! Looks amazing! Ta for sharing!
  • Poobah1972
    Janatki wrote: »
    OMG....having a go at this! Looks amazing! Ta for sharing!

Oh I tell yah, it really is. Please do let us know! :)
  • Chanda_7
    Chanda_7 Posts: 15 Member
    Wow! I’m excited to try this! Thank you for sharing!!
  • Poobah1972
    Your welcome... If you have any questions please holler back! And do let us know what you think. :)
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    I've finally got around to entering the entire recipe into a spreadsheet to calculate the cost of making this loaf. Note I just purchased 5 pound bag of unnatural Oat Fiber (the best deal going i figure).

I'm also from Canada... so this is what it cost me here in Canada. I'm sure you American's can do better. :)

2fjigmkz6g8b.png

At the time of posting this 6.53 CAD = 5.18 USD

So definitely not a cheap home made loaf, but compared to $12.99 commercial loaves half or worse in size and not nearly as tasty.... It's a bargain! :smiley:
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    The wheat gluten is $7.49 U.S.
    Didn’t look up the other things, cause I have them at home. My oat fiber was much cheaper, but a small bag, maybe 1 lb. I’ll have to look.
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    What a delicious-looking loaf of bread! (I'm all in on the stress-head too! 😀)
  • Poobah1972
    Lol... Um... Thanks for stopping in!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Curious - I purchased the same Oat Fibre (Canada - Winners) and as they do, put on a 'new' nutritional label. How are you counting the calories, etc., of this product?

x747e8vrx03e.jpg
    6njgi23qutz0.png
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    IMG_1131.jpg

pg68g2i9vjj7.jpeg

Ok, has anyone tried to make this as pizza crust? I followed the directions and it came out very puffy and hard to roll out, because it wanted to stretch back to it’s small shape. After making it, it taste too much like bread, not pizza crust. Any pointers?
    Tasting it, and by its texture, I can tell the bread will be great! I will be making that tomorrow 😀
    I was in the mood for pizza because I have not eaten pizza for a very very long time since eating low carb😩
  • Poobah1972
    edited April 2021
    Good Morning @gerlcat

It just so happens I have this planned for the first time this Saturday. So I can't say one way or another how I will fair compared to your efforts.

I'm envisioning 2 possible ways to make it thinner.
    • Roll the crust as thin as I'm able like 2-3 millimeters, but given it's stretchy elastic feel that may prove difficult. I envision using about 1/4 of recipe.
    • Perhaps let the bread rise for it's initial time 20 minutes, punch it down and then let it rise another 30 minutes or so... This should cut down on the rise during baking etc. A fairly thin crust is probably till be important, Maybe 1/3 of the recipe in this case?

I don't know anything for sure just yet though, so I'll report back after supper on Saturday!

And thank you for coming back to the thread! :)
  • Poobah1972
    edited April 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Curious - I purchased the same Oat Fibre (Canada - Winners) and as they do, put on a 'new' nutritional label. How are you counting the calories, etc., of this product?

x747e8vrx03e.jpg
    6njgi23qutz0.png

@PAPYRUS3 first sorry for not noticing your post until now.

You had me wondering... It looks like they may be making a change to the nutrition panel. As my package states the following.

5jo6wwq47uub.png

But not all is lost... Judging by the information you have provided a 100gram serving contains 87.914 Carbs of which 85.264 is fiber. Leaving only an additional 2.65 Net carbs. Since the ingredients only call for 38 grams or 0.38 x 2.65 net carbs equalls just 1 net carb more per entire loaf. Which would mean each slice is around 1.76 carbs at most.

If you wanted to account for it accurately in your recipe, you could make a new entry in the data base for nunatural Oat Fiber (100 grams amount) and enter all those macro's you pasted above. Overall it makes a very minor difference, but accuracy is always nice.

Thank for the info! :)

P.S. looks like the majority of those 5 cals come from fat and a protein... which is pretty fine and based on the 100g serving actually works out to much less then that per 3 gram serving. I think it has to do with how they round and what they are able to call 0 calories. I haven't actually did the math, but it might be closer to 0 then to 5. oh and I guess there is a pinch of soluable fiber but only about 1/4 of a gram in that 100 gram portion, so not really worth considering. :smiley:
  • gerlcat
    Thank you poobah1972 😀👍
  • jogman
    jogman Posts: 16 Member
    Just my experience on the low carb rise - i make a loaf using lupin flour as a base (1:1 on carbs vs fiber). I have had better luck just baking after the initial rise vs the punch down and second rise. Best of luck bakers...
  • Mari8203
    Mari8203 Posts: 6 Member
    Tried this receipe!! The best!! Missed bread and this helped out!!!
  • gerlcat
    I made the pizza again. Did not let it rise, rolled directly on the pan because I rolled it so thin I never would have gotten it off the counter. Kept rolling and cutting the edges off, will use that later! Rolled so thin I got holes in it. It was the best tasting low carb crust I’ve ever had! A little more soggy than to my liking, but will differently make again. Maybe if I use my stone (when I find it, still in a packed box from moving😆 it will come out crispy)
    Made the bread, and YES! I had to eat a hot piece! This recipe gets 5 out of 5 stars for easy, taste, texture, and low net carb!
    IMG_1142.JPG
    jg5b0yava5px.jpeg
    IMG_1146.JPG
    jblx47w91u2n.jpeg
  • gerlcat
    In above post, the sentence that I wrote about the pizza crust: will differently try, I meant “definitely” make again (thanks spell check).
    And thank you so much for the recipe Poohbah1972
  • Poobah1972
    edited April 2021
    jogman wrote: »
    Just my experience on the low carb rise - i make a loaf using lupin flour as a base (1:1 on carbs vs fiber). I have had better luck just baking after the initial rise vs the punch down and second rise. Best of luck bakers...

Thanks for the info and dropping in @Jogman. B)
    Mari8203 wrote: »
    Tried this receipe!! The best!! Missed bread and this helped out!!!

@Mari8203 It's silly right? How happy I get when I hear that someone made it and YES... LOVES IT! Just a reminder I'm not the originator of the recipe, but I'm so excited for everyone it reaches, it truly makes Low Carb or Keto life style even easier... Especially for bread lovers out there. Thanks for letting us know how it went!
    gerlcat wrote: »
    In above post, the sentence that I wrote about the pizza crust: will differently try, I meant “definitely” make again (thanks spell check). And thank you so much for the recipe Poohbah1972

@gerlcat ahah... Don't sweat the typo's I make them all the time! Love the pictures, love the excitement, and love the feedback! That's a lot of love going on. 😋

I will probably use your example as a learning tool. I think I'll do the same except I may put a piece of lightly oiled wax paper in the Pizza pan, then maybe when I'm done mushing it to fit the pan, I'll be able to remove it easy enough and then drop it in a pizza pan with the vent holes in the bottom to help dry it out as it cooks? It's worth a shot? (P.s. I don't even have a pizza stone, but transferring that would be difficult with a thin crust..)

Thank you for review... Awsome!

• gerlcat
    IMG_1216.jpg
    ykx99ffynlho.jpeg
    Enjoying the Bread!!!!!
    French Toast for breakfast 😀
    No calorie no carb sweetener sprinkled on top and low carb whipped topping! (Can also use sugar free syrup).
    💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜