Living The Lifestyle - Monday April 5, 2021

crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,764 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Food Scales

Do you have a food scale? Is it a critical part of managing your weight, an item of kitchen decor, or just another dust magnet? Do you use it for everything, for select items, or as an occasional check to make sure you’re still getting things right?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,764 Member
    We have and use our food scale - not every time, but certainly for things that are hard to objectively eyeball. We buy four pounds of 93% FF beef, and use the scale to break it into freezer packages of 1# each. I use it to measure Chex Mix as a snack because what started as a measured half-cup slowly grew to over three quarters of a cup for an additional two or three points. It’s MIT a WW scale, which frankly is a good thing for me (given the evolution of points).
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,865 Member
    Our scale is on the counter, and gets plenty of use. I even portion out our meals with it. TOL is on maintenance, and I'm TRYING to lose, so each gets about the same amount of SPs. Ergo, same portions.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    I have and use mine daily. Besides weighing portions of meat and snacks, I weigh salad dressing, and other sauces. Use it to weigh what is left in a container as often as what I put on the plate. And when it's an option, I always use it in place if measuring cups and spoons ... more accurate and less dishes is a win win!
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,932 Member
    I have one and use it pretty much every day (except for Shabbat). I weigh meat/poultry/fish and my nearly-daily potato. I view it as a reality check to avoid "portion creep." It's easy enough to use, so I don't see much of a downside.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 719 Member
    I use my food scale daily. It is an essential part of food tracking
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,071 Member
    Yes and it sits on the counter for daily use/
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,819 Member
    We have not 1 but 2 food scales, 1 that sits on the counter next to the chopping block and gets daily use, and 1 that we keep in our RV for when we are on road trips. That 1 does not sit on the counter as counter space is at a premium in an RV, and it makes a difference not having it right in site
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Use mine every day. It’s how I control portions. It’s how I evaluate new things I want to try to work into my plan. It’s been the one constant. Tracking is off and on as needed but the scale it always there and gets regular use.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,164 Member
    I use my food scale regularly. It's an important part of my food preparation efforts, which ensures proper portioning.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    I bought my food scale early on when I kept seeing the topic pop up in discussions on the old WW GOAD board. I spend a lot of time at my parent's house, so I bought one for there, as well.

When I'm being diligent, I use it for almost everything. (Things like English Muffins are exceptions.) It's especially eye-opening for mayonnaise and other calorie sense condiments.

I'm trying to hit a protein goal, so it also comes in handy to help me eat ENOUGH of certain things.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Forgot to add that I do a lot of baking and have pretty much switched over to weighing dry ingredients versus measuring. Way faster and better consistency.