WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Heather - still writing, but the subjects I was willing to tackle have slowed down. Picking and choosing more these days - if I have to do three hours of research, then another hour to write a 600-word article that pays $23, then it's not worth it. For a 1,000-word article that pays $67, it makes sense, but with the longer writing time, if the research is more than a couple hours, it's still getting past the point of being worth it. I try to keep my pay in the $20 an hour range if possible.

The biggest part is always the research time. For instance, the last four I wrote were about the mythology around the March birthstone, what a social work master's degree entails, the synergy between technology and social work (same client) and what's available in the area around Irving, Texas. All of these were reasonably easily researched pieces.

However, a quick sample of the ones that are available right now are requests for: How to deal with ransomware, whether businesses should use Exchange servers, the data centricity of artificial intelligence, and electronic healthcare records interoperability. I know that I could write any of those four, but I have zero interest in learning technology at those levels anymore.

There are moments, honestly, when I feel like a petulant child. I just don't WANT to do that! I've done a couple of the high-tech ones on special request from the company--but didn't like it. The best part of being retired is supposed to be doing what you want... And at the moment, there aren't many that I want to write. There's an ebb and flow, and more will come around again later.

Thanks for asking. :smiley:
    Lisa

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    :)
    betsy in nw wa
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I finally had a good calorie day yesterday. Hope I can make it a trend!

Annie in Delaware
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Pip-Your trip looks wonderful. We are headed up to that area soon. I'm looking forward to hiking the area and kayaking on the bay.

Machka-Yes, it takes time to figure out what to do with all your extra time. I am struggling with that now too, since I'm not working full time.

Schedules-Nope. I find that if there is something I want to get done, I write a list and am very good about marking things off that list. I usually do this a day at a time. More than that just gets overwhelming to me. I wash clothes when something I want to wear needs to be washed...most often these are my workout clothes.

I might try to take my bike out a little bit today and see if that's easier on my knee. I'm hoping that if I baby it right now, it'll heal completely and I can start running again. I'm struggling with weight management right now since I can't do much cardio, and I'm always right next to the kitchen. Ugh.

Tina in CA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    On our way back, good time
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Lisa - You are severely underpricing your expertise! WOW! I would just put my feet up and get on with a pet project. I'm sure you have things close to your heart.
    I love your writing and way of expressing yourself, so don't under value your worth. <3

I recently emailed a woman called Kate Clanchy who wrote a wonderful article in the Guardian about the death of both her parents. I found an email address for her at a university. She replied this morning, saying she had received an avalanche of replies. I was very moved by her journalism. A good death is one of my passions.

Friends Zoom was great. How lucky I am to have a great group of friends dating back over 60 years. A couple of years ago I almost ditched my difficult friend, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Our furnace is not working today. We’ve got a gas fireplace downstairs and an electric fireplace in the bedroom sitting area. We are expecting a furnace repairman today. I hope he gets here soon. Outside temp is 51F. So is inside temp. BRRR-
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Pip-Your trip looks wonderful. We are headed up to that area soon. I'm looking forward to hiking the area and kayaking on the bay.

Machka-Yes, it takes time to figure out what to do with all your extra time. I am struggling with that now too, since I'm not working full time.

Schedules-Nope. I find that if there is something I want to get done, I write a list and am very good about marking things off that list. I usually do this a day at a time. More than that just gets overwhelming to me. I wash clothes when something I want to wear needs to be washed...most often these are my workout clothes.

I might try to take my bike out a little bit today and see if that's easier on my knee. I'm hoping that if I baby it right now, it'll heal completely and I can start running again. I'm struggling with weight management right now since I can't do much cardio, and I'm always right next to the kitchen. Ugh.

Tina in CA

I really need to start making lists again- I procrastinate and then too much to do and then nothing gets done, then get overwhelmed- Just need to get started. Need to start with the living room clutter-
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    Last night every time I tossed from one side to another, my head did a swirl. At least I would stop it and it wasn't a complete vertigo swirl, where I would scream out. But it felt like I was on a rollercoaster all night. I have a bit of a sinus cold, so that's what I think triggered it. Of course it was windy and rainy out so a pressure change, then there is the phases of the moon, Haahaa....it could've been anything!

I have an appointment to get 1st of M. Vaccine on the 12th so that's good.

Health wise, this month has become quite busy!
    Hugs, ladies
    💖Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2021
    Margaret - Yes,the training and leadership was a horribly weak point. No excuse. Well done for speaking up. I'm so sorry for all the traumas you went through. <3

I count myself a lucky woman to have a life purpose. My writing has accompanied me through my whole life. I have fought against it, tried to ignore it, run away from it, but it always comes back to demand my attention. Whatever else is going on in my life it is the one North Star. All is well if I am doing my writing. If I am not, nothing compensates. The only time I was happy not to write was just after the birth of my babies and when my SIL died. Otherwise, it is the sine qua non of my existence. My whole life is organised around that one principle. Discipline is the key. I have learnt over the years that nothing else makes for a happy life for me. The rest would be chasing rather pale rainbows.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Sue--Sorry to hear about your friend. I agree with the others that I would not put myself alone with her. Alcohol and self pity are not a good mix.

Heather--So happy you have a cruise scheduled and so looking forward to hearing about it and seeing pictures. I know it is a year off, but I do miss your trips.

Pip--What fun and you both look so happy and relaxed.

The weather this spring is crazy. 84 degrees on Sunday and yesterday in the low 30's and windy. I have been so cold the last couple days. DH keeps checking for a fever..Not sure what is going on. I have not been sleeping well, just hurt all over. I have an person calling in sick this week. She has given notice and her last day is May 7th, but I have my doubts she will last that long. So I am working extra hours this week to cover and am not happy.

My friend in rehab that I am her POA is finally getting her social security sent to the home and they will take their part and put the rest in an account for her. I am so happy that is being done. In the meantime no one will let me or her know where the money has when the last 26 months has gone. I have made reports and not gotten any answers. It is not right that her family can take the money and not pay any of her bills and not have to account for it. Sorry that is my vent for today.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    Vicki - could that be a police matter? Sounds like fraud or theft.
    I'm so lucky that I live my trips a hundred times over before I go and when I get back. Makes them good value. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)
  • ShenaNL
    ShenaNL Posts: 5 Member
    I am looking for motivation. I was doing so well and fell off the wagon during Easter.
  • Whidislander
    Yeah Katla, we underestimate that click of a furnace, until it stops huh!?💕. Glad its working! Its in the 40's in the mornings. Brrr!
    💕 Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    weal9h2svdf4.jpg
    My meals
    ciq4wvsod20i.jpg
    Husband and son's meals.💖👍
    Rebecca